Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2021 10:43:20 PM EDT
Long story short, my house had a ton of nasty black mold. I've had a laundry list of health problems for years. It was remediated once found, but I still feel sick here. And I felt waaay better when I moved out for the remediation. It seems this is something a lot of people have experienced and the only solution is to find a new place that does not have mold. A lot of people move into aluminum trailers or such to avoid it after having a particularly nasty exposure. Anyone have a mold story? Did it affect your health?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
There are several varieties of “black” mold. Only one is toxic.  Mold is everywhere.  It’s in the air, the trees, the grass, office buildings, shopping centers, in your car and on your clothes.  

I don’t doubt you feel bad.  But, it’s not likely from mold.

BTW, mold only exists because of moisture.  Find and fix your leak and the mold will die.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I did.  I was a career firefighter, and when I went to a particular station for an assignment, I'd have coughing fits all day long.  The coughing was so bad I gave myself an unbiblical hernia because I was coughing so hard. That station was built in the 50's and this was 2010.  I was there for a year and a half.  I was there from 2002-2005 and had no problems.  But when I got another assignment in 2011, it was a newer station only 10 years old.  When I got there my coughing fits disappeared. Later on, I went back to that station for just one shift, and I was coughing my head off by lunch.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did.  I was a career firefighter, and when I went to a particular station for an assignment, I'd have coughing fits all day long.  The coughing was so bad I gave myself an unbiblical hernia because I was coughing so hard. That station was built in the 50's and this was 2010.  I was there for a year and a half.  I was there from 2002-2005 and had no problems.  But when I got another assignment in 2011, it was a newer station only 10 years old.  When I got there my coughing fits disappeared. Later on, I went back to that station for just one shift, and I was coughing my head off by lunch.
View Quote

Probably just the asbestos
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Guy at work has a daughter that got really sick and I think they traced it back to a mold problem under his house.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#5]
My sister had a toxic mold problem and she believes she's developed sensitivities since, not just to mold but all sorts of stuff. It absolutely destroyed any semblance of a normal life because they spent years/$$$$ trying to find somewhere that didn't make them sick all the time.

To be honest I think a lot of it is psychosomatic on her spouse's part, but apparently there's a significant number of people out there that develop allergies/autoimmune issues after heavy exposure to mold.

It's never bothered me, but then epoxy never bothered me either until it did, now I've got to be super careful with it or I'll get a skin response.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:26:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I was in CP Tango (Korea) for exercises. Our unit got a couple rooms given to us that were prime real estate in the underground tunnel. They told us explicitly that they were giving the rooms away because none of their people could stand to work in there anymore. Black mold was growing on the ceiling and green/brown mold on the walls and other surfaces. I had horrible headaches whenever I had to work there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I lived in a house that got a leak in the roof and made a hole in the ceiling and until it got fixed I felt like I had a cold the whole time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top