Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2022 10:30:06 PM EDT
I just started practicing on a Yamaha FG 700S in January and I'm really enjoying it.  If I'm still practicing regularly in a few months, and possibly taking lessons, I probably will upgrade to a much better guitar.  

I'm in the initial shopping stages and at this point I'm mostly considering Taylor & Martin.  I've gone pretty in-depth on Taylor guitars and my primary interests are the GT Urban Ash, American Dream 17 and 317, with the AD 17 being my favorite, based on numerous video demos.  The GT would be my next favorite.  Does anyone have experience with any of these models?  I probably will go to the local Taylor dealer next week and play what they have, which last I checked, is at least two of the three, if not all three.  

After that, I'll probably go in-depth researching Martins.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
IB4 “they have no bottom (end)”
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 214CE, I like it. It’s the most well rounded for the budget I had and I really enjoy it’s sound and playability.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Taylor, but the ones you're talking about are much pricier versions than mine.  I have the 114ce that I bought about 6+ years ago at Musicians Friend, which was $799 at the time.  I've always liked it and love the sound of it, especially how it projects better than the shallow back Ovations I used to play.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:36:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Baby Taylor.  It sounds bigger than it is.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#5]
When I bought my "good" acoustic I was debating between a Martin Eric Clapton and a Taylor 714. I played them both and went with the Taylor.

I've never regretted the choice.

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#6]
You haven't been playing long enough to know why you need a better guitar.  Keep the Yamaha.  Get a good setup on it.  Play the frets off it.  Then you will have the experience to know why you need a different guitar.  Right now, you're just name dropping.  Besides, nobody is collecting Taylors & they have little resell value compared to Martins.  Keep your money & play the snot out of that Yamaha.  Changing guitars right now won't make you a better player.  I've been playing, repairing & building guitars for 50 yrs so, take all of this with however many grains of salt.  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I highly recommend Breedlove. Awesome sounding guitars.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#9]
GT and the AD couldn't be more different.
The GT is a smaller guitar, between the GS mini and the Grand Auditorium in size.  It plays well, but is a "smaller sounding" guitar.
The AD17 is a fairly large guitar with a larger, fuller guitar sound.  Good volume and bass response from it.

Currently I play a 224ceK DLX, Grand Auditorium in Koa, but I sell Taylor guitars every day.  Please try both of your choices before deciding on onethey are markedly different in tone and projection.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Taylor 214CE Sb Dlx. It is a great guitar. I wanted a smaller guitar that wouldn't aggravate my shoulder like a dreadnought does, the 214CE has a narrowed waist which make it easier on my shoulder.  I like the narrowed size nut too.

At the 300 level you get solid back and sides, while the 100-200 series are layered back and sides and a solid top. The DLX gets gold hardware, hardcase, and glossy finish.

I also have a Guild M20 parlor. A very understated, easy playing guitar.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup.  Love them. My main one is a 614Ce

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup.  Love them. My main one is a 614Ce
View Quote

That is a beauty
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a 814ce.
Use it for studio work and worship at my church. Great guitar!
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You haven't been playing long enough to know why you need a better guitar.  Keep the Yamaha.  Get a good setup on it.  Play the frets off it.  Then you will have the experience to know why you need a different guitar.  Right now, you're just name dropping.  Besides, nobody is collecting Taylors & they have little resell value compared to Martins.  Keep your money & play the snot out of that Yamaha.  Changing guitars right now won't make you a better player.  I've been playing, repairing & building guitars for 50 yrs so, take all of this with however many grains of salt.  Best of luck.
View Quote

This is a solid answer.
I did not take this advice however and own a pretty decent acoustic collection-enough to be able to say that EVERY SINGLE INDIVIDUAL guitar is unique and you should play THE guitar you are considering.
Taylor’s are just run of the mill production guitars with a fan boy following (The Taylor Faithful). There are better choices.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m not a guitar player but I am a drummer and an absolute guitar tone snob. Taylor’s Yamaha and Martin all make nice guitars. Go to a big music store and play a bunch of different models. You will know the guitar when it’s in your hands. I have heard $100 guitars that sound amazing and $2000 guitars that sound like shit.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is a solid answer.
I did not take this advice however and own a pretty decent acoustic collection-enough to be able to say that EVERY SINGLE INDIVIDUAL guitar is unique and you should play THE guitar you are considering.
Taylor's are just run of the mill production guitars with a fan boy following (The Taylor Faithful). There are better choices.
View Quote
I don't intend to follow that advise either, although I consider it good and very rational advice!  

I do know enough that I will never buy an acoustic without trying it and a couple of weeks ago, I spent an hour at the largest Taylor dealer in the region and it was a great experience.  I was greeted at the door, the guy stayed with me the entire time, without being pushy, and immediately fetched every guitar I named, plus a couple others he recommended, based on what I was asking for.  I didn't buy a new acoustic (that day is still far off) but if I was even half-way in the market, I know exactly which guitar I would have walked out with.  They were all nice, but one, a black top AD17 was just THE ONE.  I understand that concept and my goal is to someday find that "perfect" guitar, both acoustic and electric.  

When I asked if they had an Epiphone ES-335 he said they did not, but he went and pulled a $6000 Custom Shop off the wall.  HOLY SHIT that was a nice feeling guitar!  I liked it so much, I came home and ordered a Sire H7, which is their version of the 335, and it's on backorder until June.    

When the tube shortage fears hit, I decided to snag one so I ordered a 15 watt amp, which I received in less than a week.  Now I have a pretty nice tube amp and an acoustic guitar.    I started searching online for a cheap, maybe $100 guitar to tide me over, but that quickly moved to a $200 budget and then to $300.  I then decided rather than going that route, I'll just cancel my order for the Sire and add the money I was willing to spend on a second guitar to my budget and order a guitar that is in stock.

I am expecting this guitar on Thursday.  My amp is a black version of the tweed looking amp on the far right of this photo.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/26/2022 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Their low grade stuff is mediocre but their high grade stuff is pretty nice, I'd love to get me a 815CE

I had one, I thought it didn't sound as good as my Epiphone, so I sold the Taylor.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I have several Taylors, but my favorite is the Academy Dreadnought 10E. For $650 they're a great deal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a 814ce.
Use it for studio work and worship at my church. Great guitar!
View Quote
I love my 814ce.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#21]
started a different thread
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I went into a local shop today and they had a few Martins and a handful of used Taylors.  When I asked about Taylors, the owner pretty much said they are crap and have been crap since around 2000 or so, when they started focusing on production numbers, rather than quality.  He said the necks need re-setting every two years.

I have NEVER heard anything like this in countless hours spent in forums and watching YT videos.  Anyone else heard this or are of this opinion?
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I went into a local shop today and they had a few Martins and a handful of used Taylors.  When I asked about Taylors, the owner pretty much said they are crap and have been crap since around 2000 or so, when they started focusing on production numbers, rather than quality.  He said the necks need re-setting every two years.

I have NEVER heard anything like this in countless hours spent in forums and watching YT videos.  Anyone else heard this or are of this opinion?
View Quote

I've never heard of this either. I do know that guitars (and all wood instruments) like just right temperature and humidity.  Only one of the 4 music stores in town has the whole store temp and humidity controlled. Two of the others have acoustic rooms that make poor attempts at environmental controls.  The guy that runs the best controlled shop has horror stories of people buying really nice guitars and hanging them on the wall by the windows and over the HVAC duct. No better way to ruin a nice instrument!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Taylor guitars sound great. I was given one. I really enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, after countless hours of watching Youtube videos and at least a dozen hours in guitar shops trying out different models, I finally made the plunge into getting a better acoustic.

My Yamaha FG700S is okay, but when I changed the strings, it radically changed the action, for the worse.  I've been about 75% committed to buying a new acoustic anyway, and couldn't justify $60 for a setup on a guitar I am likely to replace in the very near future.  

SW is running a very good financing deal on many brands during the month of September and Taylor was one of them.  That made the choice between an Academy series and the 100 series much easier.  

I should have a 110e on Monday.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#26]
How does it sound and play for you now after a while?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How does it sound and play for you now after a while?
View Quote
MUCH better sounding than my Yamaha.  Playing feel is actually comparable, but some of that may be familiarity with the Yamaha.  The Taylor came with 13's and my instructor recommended much lighter, so I tried 10's, which I didn't like at all (sound wise) and now it has the exact same 12's as my Yamaha.  The Taylor still sounds much better, but I like a chiming acoustic sound.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 5:06:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I also debated between Martin and Taylor when I bought my "good" acoustic guitar. Martins are nice, but I just never get used to the feel of their necks.

I ended up buying a Taylor 714 right before they switched from Spruce to Cedar for the top and have no regrets.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I also debated between Martin and Taylor when I bought my "good" acoustic guitar. Martins are nice, but I just never get used to the feel of their necks.

I ended up buying a Taylor 714 right before they switched from Spruce to Cedar for the top and have no regrets.

View Quote
Agree on the Martin neck.  I only tried a handful but did not like the feel at all.

Surpringly, my Yamaha and Taylor feel pretty much identical.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope.

My oldest Taylor was built in 2000 and I have not had a reset done on it yet.  My GS-mini came home with me 9 years ago.

I'm trying to decide if I want to sell my GS Mini-mahog and get a used 500-700 series with a Fishman stereo blender or just buy a Rare Earth blend soundhole pickup for the GS-mini.

Probably going with the Rare Earth.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Either you like bass or you like treble. I have tinnitus and have lost a lot of the ability to perceive high end. So....Taylor sounds like heaven to me.  I will take Taylor 99 times out of 100 over Martin. I also feel like Taylor has beer resonance.

Don't get me wrong, Martin has an amazing tone...but I just prefer Taylor for that acoustic quality.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Either you like bass or you like treble. I have tinnitus and have lost a lot of the ability to perceive high end. So....Taylor sounds like heaven to me.  I will take Taylor 99 times out of 100 over Martin. I also feel like Taylor has beer resonance.

Don't get me wrong, Martin has an amazing tone...but I just prefer Taylor for that acoustic quality.
View Quote
My 110 is so freaking loud that I sometimes hesitate to play it when my wife is in the other room watching TV.  My Yamaha sounds muted, in comparison.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top