Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2021 9:19:21 AM EDT
This isn’t meant to be a thread discussing the merits on gold as an investment, just discussing the actual purchase of physical gold or silver.

I believe inflation is on the horizon, looking to somewhat protect myself from it though the purchase of actual goods (so not Bitcoin). I am aware guns and ammunition exist for that purpose as well. This is to cover me through through what I expect to happen; the near collapse of the dollar followed by a decade or so of financial confusion, but things not doing downhill enough that we end up living in ‘the road’. I would like to emerge on the other side not completely broke.

Been thinking about putting some money in gold or silver, doing some reading about it but I’m always curious to hear personal experiences.

What sites are best? How is the shipping handled? Beast deals or buying strategy?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I like Apmex.com for gold and silver. I don't trust ebay.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Bitcoin.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Sd bullion is pretty good as is monument metals. Probably longer than average ship times but you’ll get it eventually. American silver eagles have too high of a premium right now so maybe look into south african krugerrands or generics like sunshine mint rounds.

For gold dont be afraid to buy bars or british sovereigns if you wanna pay less over spot than than american gold eagles imo
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Apmex and Provident Metals

Premiums are high right now from the virus worries and the silver run a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bitcoin.
View Quote

Be careful on eBay unless buying from a reputable dealer there. Occasionally Apmex used to run flash sales and I got pretty good deals on eBay. Normally though I just buy directly from the big dealers. Easy, quick and safe.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I pick up gold and silver when transiting thru Dubai on my way home.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to a coin store.
Find gold coins.
Give cashier money.
Leave.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.

For online orders I use APMEX.  I would never buy on ebay.

I prefer my local coin shop.

Buy bullion (not collectible coins).

My guy has a junk drawer bullion pile I can dig through and pick out what I like.

Maybe start with both silver and gold.

Get a variety (rounds, small bars, different coins, etc...).

You will quickly figure out what you like.  When you do, just buy more of that.

It can be a lot of fun.  I even bought a few copper rounds and 1 ounce bars for my young sons just for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Apmex, Provident Metals, Scottsdale Mint, Texas Metals

Check the EE as well.

Reddit sub PMsforsale. Best deals I’ve found right now. There’s a few sellers on there that sell very close to spot.

Premiums are very high right now due to a massive silver buying movement that’s been happening since late January.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Go to a coin store.
Find gold coins.
Give cashier money.
Leave.
View Quote

If I was worried about the dollar crashing and needing precious metals for a physical hedge. Then I would worry about who knew I had it. Cash and carry is the answer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

apmex sells on ebay...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

apmex sells on ebay...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

apmex sells on ebay...

Pretty much all of the major sellers do.  AND their Ebay prices are almost always cheaper than their website prices.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I have ordered from APMEX before and had good luck. Also have a local guy who will order for me. I would say local guy is best.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Go to a coin store.
Find gold coins.
Give cashier money.
Leave.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Go to a coin store.
Find gold coins.
Give cashier money.
Leave.
View Quote

Kind of this.
Go prepared.
Know what the market price per oz is that day if not that moment.
If buying jewelry for home refining account for purity e.g. 10k vs 18k. Some will haggle about popularity like 10k is more easily sold in most of the U.S. than 18k
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is who I use and I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I would stick to local coin shops and the larger on line vendors.  There is no substitute for a good working relationship with someone local.

Do not trust what's coming out of ebay. The Chinese have made counterfeiting of silver and gold products an art form.

Even pawn shops can be hit or miss.  

I highly recommend investing in a scale to weigh whatever you buy.  Scale

And I recommend a test kit. Test Kit

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#19]
apmex.com has been my go-to forever
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Chinese have made counterfeiting of silver and gold products an art form.

View Quote

Honestly this seems like a huge worry to me.

If I were spend any amount of money on PM's a lot of research into how to test would be a damned good idea.  The question I have is - have they gotten good enough that you can tell with weight and size measures or do you actually have to melt it down and then test to know for sure?

If you get a counterfeit from Apmex or whomever what is your recourse?  They are going to say what they mailed you is legit, and you are trying to pull a fast one because they would never send out a counterfeit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I was actually looking at the APMEX site the other day. I’m planning to start buying some, right now looking to maybe invest $1,000ish to start as I’m not a high roller like 99.9% of arfcom. With all the types of bars, coins, etc how the hell do you pick what to get? I like coins but does that matter vs bars? Is one a better “value”?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm sure you can find dealers. I bought some silver, worked out to something like $.75 over spot in total. Prob more for gold

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Go to a coin store.
Find gold coins.
Give cashier money.
Leave.
View Quote

This. Personally, I prefer Krugerrands, but do whatever makes you comfortable.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#25]
EE is the best. The only bad part is worrying about USPS

For those that don't know, apmex has an ebay store
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#26]
https://www.usagold.com/live-gold-price-today/

US Gold works for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I believe inflation is on the horizon, looking to somewhat protect myself from it though the purchase of actual goods (so not Bitcoin).

Thanks.
View Quote

LOL.

Attachment Attached File

What are the Benefits of Using Bitpay at APMEX?

For more than 20 years, APMEX has been a leader in the Precious Metals industry. Along the way, we have adapted to the growing needs of our customer base. As cryptocurrencies become more popular and widely accepted, we are thrilled to offer Bitpay as a payment option for our customers. With BitPay integration, APMEX customers can pay using Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash and Etherium for orders up to $250,000 and complete their order in seconds.

Purchasing with Bitpay allows for a quick and secure method to purchase Gold, Silver, Platinum and Palladium online. All eligible BitPay orders will be processed and shipped within one business day of your payment's clearing and processing with the QuickShip® guarantee (domestic orders only). Like credit or debit cards, buyers can purchase Precious Metals with Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash and Etherium anywhere at any time. BitPay makes purchasing Precious Metals even easier for international buyers, as cryptocurrencies are accepted worldwide without conversion.

For a limited time, APMEX customers will have their BitPay fees cut in half when purchasing from our large selection of Precious Metals. Shop our assortment of best-selling Precious Metals and select BitPay at checkout to take advantage of this exclusive offer today.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would stick to local coin shops and the larger on line vendors.  There is no substitute for a good working relationship with someone local.

Do not trust what's coming out of ebay. The Chinese have made counterfeiting of silver and gold products an art form.

Even pawn shops can be hit or miss.  

I highly recommend investing in a scale to weigh whatever you buy.  Scale

View Quote

Weighing silver and comparing size to a known real round/bar should be good enough

If it's a fake it will either be too big or not weigh enough
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was actually looking at the APMEX site the other day. I’m planning to start buying some, right now looking to maybe invest $1,000ish to start as I’m not a high roller like 99.9% of arfcom. With all the types of bars, coins, etc how the hell do you pick what to get? I like coins but does that matter vs bars? Is one a better “value”?
View Quote

I just buy the lowest premium
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#30]
at this point in time, lead may be a better choice...whatever you do, try to buy local in cash
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#31]
A couple of years ago, Peter Schiff (a huge gold bug) was on Joe Rogan. Schiff started this company https://mene.com/ that sells 24 karat gold jewelry, and guarantees he will buy it back. Your account on the site tracks your purchase's value in real time.

The idea is that one of the values of gold as using it as jewelry, so this is a convenient way to buy gold jewelry that also stores value. I don't wear jewelry, but I thought it was a cool idea so I bought a 24k gold chain and cross pendant.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

You pay a higher premium for fractional gold. The best deals are at the 1oz purchases. If it were me I'd just wait until you had enough for a 1oz purchase.  That being said, occasionally you can snag fractional gold at a good price and if so buy it because it does command a premium when selling.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Bought MS slabbed back in the 90's gold hysteria. Ordered over the phone and didn't get ripped off. Sold everything face to face years later, made money.  Finding a buyer can be a problem . Had one pawn shop question the authenticity of silver rounds I was trying to sell once, he was trying to rip me off by saying he couldn't prove they were real.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If I were spend any amount of money on PM's a lot of research into how to test would be a damned good idea.  The question I have is - have they gotten good enough that you can tell with weight and size measures or do you actually have to melt it down and then test to know for sure?

If you get a counterfeit from Apmex or whomever what is your recourse?  They are going to say what they mailed you is legit, and you are trying to pull a fast one because they would never send out a counterfeit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Chinese have made counterfeiting of silver and gold products an art form.

If you buy from a reputable dealer it isn't really a problem.  The large online bullion dealers have very advanced and expensive xray scanners that they use to check anything they buy off the street.  Fakes are a big problem already and will get much worse with the increased interest and price of precious metals.

For size and weight silver is fairly easy to fake but they usually use ferrous metals and you can check against a magnet.  Experienced coin dealers can usually tell by look and feel or use the ring test.  There are some really good silver fakes out there that will pass those tests and only get caught by scanners, but silver isn't valuable enough yet to go through the trouble to make the really good fakes.  Numismatics are another story, and yes, China is faking those.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I last bought some gold coins during the zero regime.  A couple gold eagles and a couple of gold maple leafs.  Bought from apmex to hold for the long haul.  I still have them.  They have gained a modest amount of value, or as I prefer to think about it, held their value vs our declining dollar.

If I was going to buy more, I'd probably go the same route.  But I think beans bullets and bandaids might be better for what's coming.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I use jmbullion.com

Only good things to say about them
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This isn't meant to be a thread discussing the merits on gold as an investment, just discussing the actual purchase of physical gold or silver.

I believe inflation is on the horizon, looking to somewhat protect myself from it though the purchase of actual goods (so not Bitcoin). I am aware guns and ammunition exist for that purpose as well. This is to cover me through through what I expect to happen; the near collapse of the dollar followed by a decade or so of financial confusion, but things not doing downhill enough that we end up living in 'the road'. I would like to emerge on the other side not completely broke.
Been thinking about putting some money in gold or silver, doing some reading about it but I'm always curious to hear personal experiences.
What sites are best? How is the shipping handled? Beast deals or buying strategy?
Thanks.
View Quote
Over the last 20+ years I've made several purchases from Apmex, Provident Metals, Scottsdale Mint. All trust-able sources.
APMex has the best selection, but can get you on shipping and other charges.  Make sure it makes sense.
Provident Metals, some decent finds at appropriate costs.
Scottsdale Mint has some really cool stack-able bars in multiple sizes 5 Oz and up as well as many rounds and other bullion items. They can be a bit slow to ship during increased demand periods, but they always ship.  I've sent a few friends to them and APMex, never any complaints.

Honestly though, I think you are best served to scout out all your local coin shops if there are any around you.  
Find the best one, buy some things, build a rapport.
Then you can always get fair to better deals buying and selling and save a bunch on shipping either way.  

When I lived in St. Louis I had three local shops that almost always had what I wanted and I bought from at least monthly.
I moved a few hours south and have not found any shops in under 2 hours drive. Or none that I want to frequent.
We have a decent amount of pawn shops, but they are really hit or miss on their knowledge and fairness.  They more often then not want to bend you over.   If they have an item its instantly worth 40%+ more than what it should be. If you buy it from them or else where and try selling to them it's magically worth 80%+ less what it should be.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Premiums are very high right now so if you think things will calm down and the prices aren't going to surge in the near future I would wait to purchase.  Look at the online sellers that list their buy prices also.  Generic silver is selling for around $5 over spot and the buy back price is around $1 over spot.  Gold is relatively better right now, you can get foreign 1 oz coins $80-$90 over spot and buy back is $15 over.  Gold eagles are almost $200 over spot and buy back is only $25 over.  I would advise getting as much decent quality metal for your money as you can.

Silver American eagles and silver dollars have ridiculous premiums and spreads right now so no way I would pay those prices.  Some people like junk silver because the premiums are normally lower, but the buy back price is usually much lower also.  Junk silver or eagles are easier to sell to the public without going through dealers.

As for buying now, most local dealers are matching the internet prices because of demand.  You might find some deals from private sellers that bought years ago and are now selling just over spot.  Cash talks and a lot of private sellers want to avoid reportable income and are willing to sell for a little less.  Just know what you are buying and how to spot fakes.  Some states have sales tax on precious metals so keep that in mind too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#39]
As a side note, you can find the silver over there on the shelf between the 9mm ammo and the primers.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Any thoughts about this place?

https://getacregold.com/products/acre-gold-2-5g
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Any thoughts about this place?

https://getacregold.com/products/acre-gold-2-5g
View Quote

I didn't see exact cost of the fees but it's almost certain to be a ripoff.  $12 upfront fee + shipping + fulfillment fee.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#43]
I've bought from APMEX before but found JM Bullion to be a better value. Both offer free shipping, but I found the overall price for my last order to be over $100 less at JM.

Be patient on the shipping and pay with a bank transfer where you get the best rate.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Just from the arab selling gold chains in a kiosk at the mall.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Pay cash locally. Leave no proof you own it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Excellent advice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I didn't see exact cost of the fees but it's almost certain to be a ripoff.  $12 upfront fee + shipping + fulfillment fee.
View Quote

Good points. Are the 2.5 gram sized nuggets even worth buying?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lost mine in a boating accident
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Compare Gold Prices

ETA:  Someone mentioned above
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a local place to buy. Never sold yet
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top