Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2021 11:57:20 AM EDT
I took 10+ years off from games until a few years ago when I bought a Switch and a PS4 Pro.
Anyway, I'm wondering if I'm even going to get a new system (if I can find one).
Yea, the PS4 games look good, but the games are the same old shit different name, and the vids on the newer gen games are the same.
Right now, I buy $20 and under games for the PS4, but I'll spend $60 on a top tier Switch game because they are usually more fun.
If anything, I'm more interested in the XBOX because of its backwards compatibility and I've never owned a XBOX before.
I guess what I'm asking is, should I sit this gen out?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#1]
From how you describe your gaming, I wouldn’t upgrade. The visual differences aren’t that huge and unless you’re trying to run the best/newest stuff the performance probably isn’t worth it.

I wouldn’t have bothered but my brother offered me an extra system when they released. Couldn’t say no and would have felt bad if I sold it after accepting so I just kept it.

Honestly I prefer the PS4 user interface.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a PS5

I haven't played a PS5 game on it except the pack in game Astros playground.  

I have played a few PS4 games with PS5 updates (borderlands 3, Control) & PS4 games without a PS5 update.

Right now its quality of life improvements.
Menu's are a lot faster, load times even on PS4 only games are massively improved.  

4K@60fps is pretty great  

The dual sense controller is pretty nice assuming the game supports it.   Astros playground kinda makes it a point to use it  

the box itself is huge, bigger than I expected.

Overall im happy with it but it needs some damn games.  

ETA: also yes, the new UI is trash, PS4 UI was much better.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both of the new consoles (pre-ordered multiple, sold for almost double my cost, ended up with both consoles almost free)

You really need a high end TV to appreciated the new features, one that supports all the HDMI 2.1 features. 120fps and VRR are awesome. PS5 doesn't support VRR yet though, and also only has a 32Gbps HDMI 2.1 chipset vs the 40Gbps chipset on the Series X so there is chroma subsampling needed to achieve 4K 120fps
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
My question is this, is there a single game out now that you think would be worth buying to consider even getting a new console for it?
Hell I got an xbone and I have literally 3 games for it and I only kept the 6 360 games I have that work in the one and gave the rest away to a friend.
None are top tier games or even really popular games.
There is not a single new game out now that makes me want to get a new system.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My question is this, is there a single game out now that you think would be worth buying to consider even getting a new console for it?
Hell I got an xbone and I have literally 3 games for it and I only kept the 6 360 games I have that work in the one and gave the rest away to a friend.
None are top tier games or even really popular games.
There is not a single new game out now that makes me want to get a new system.
View Quote

It's like that always for the first year or so of a new console release. It's because it takes that long for the user base to be big enough to make it worthwhile for developers to make exclusive games for the next gen platforms.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Been an xbox guy for a long time, 15 years?.. have the one x, not the newest series x. I debated on getting it. Started gaming on a laptop I got my son for schooling last march and realized the potential of a gaming rig vs console. I decided to go that route rather than the newest gen. Have a PC with a rtx3080 & ryzen 5 5600x due to arrive any day now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#7]
for me having game pass ultimate on xbox series x is worth it alone. tons of games, for a netflix type fee
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The load times were worth it for me. The Xbox Series X seems to load games instantly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I was lucky to score an xbox x, I have turned it on exactly 1 time. The load times and quality of the games were alot better than my one s. I just spend more time on the PC now. I'm thinking of selling the xbox as for now I just dont see me using it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:36:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Haven't got a Xbox yet, but I plan to eventually. I was able to get a PS5 back in November.

The only PS5 games we've played on it were Spider Man, Astro's Playroom, and Maneater. I only played Astro, I watched the kids and wife play some of the other games. Spider Man was a Xmas present for my son, Astro's Playroom comes with the system, and Maneater was a free game from PS Plus. The improved graphics are nice, but nothing game changing. The Dualsense controller is really neat, but I actually prefer to play my PS4 games with the DS4 controller.

Basically, unless there is a Xbox or PS game that is ONLY on the new gen that you think looks cool, then there isn't much of a reason to buy one yet. I will say that overall it's a more enjoyable experience USING the PS5 (despite the UI changes, and I wouldn't say it's worse, just different) but unless you experience it first hand you're not going to miss out on it. We're still using our PS4, mainly to play multiplayer games together, so things like load times are really noticeable when they're side by side.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:54:01 AM EDT
[#11]
XSX. Exact same games, menus, everything as Xbox One. Does run at full 4k and better graphics in games but it's not that much different.

ETA: load times are better, does switch between apps/games way faster as more stuff can stay open.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 2:11:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was lucky to score an xbox x, I have turned it on exactly 1 time. The load times and quality of the games were alot better than my one s. I just spend more time on the PC now. I'm thinking of selling the xbox as for now I just dont see me using it.
View Quote

@rocky59

I'd be interested if you do end up selling it
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:31:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I have all three systems.  Xbox Series S.  Xbox Series X. PS5 disc edition.

the Series S sucks.  ignore it's existence.

I've been using the series X since it came out.

The PS5 is still new in the box.  No games are out for it yet that I want to play.  I just bought one on a whim because I needed it to finish playing FF7 Remaster and The Last of Us 2 (which is still wrapped as well).  My daughter's PS4 finally died so she stole my PS4.  I got the PS5 and haven't gotten around to the two games yet.

With the Series X, I do notice an upgrade in visuals with the 4K and HDR compared to the Xbox One X Project Scorpio i was using before.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I waited more than a year for the Xbone to ditch the integrated nanny cam bullshit.

Couple years later the stupid disc drive stopped reading discs to games I owned.   Rather than get it fixed I smashed it and took a pick axe to it to prevent any of my identifying information from being retrieved when I chucked it in the trash.

The microsoft bullshit of constantly changing the UI and fucking with shit with constant updates made it not worth fixing.   I hated waiting for updates every time I wanted to play maybe two or three times a year.    Considering how little use it got, for it to have a disc drive fail it is complete and utter bullshit.

There is nothing that Microsoft currently has that makes me want to play one of their systems again.

The PS4 is a better experience than the Xbone.   But just barely.   Doubt the PS5 has anything of value for the next year or more.

Definitely sick of the rehash games that keep coming out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#15]
@nsl

If you have any specific Xbox Series X or PS5 questions I can try to answer them going forward. My XSX will be arriving this week, and like I mentioned previously I've had the PS5 since November.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in Iraq, we'll Kurdistan. I'm told PS5 disc models go for $700 (sealed, legit, etc...)... What specific model should I look for if I only want to cry once?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
From how you describe your gaming, I wouldn't upgrade. The visual differences aren't that huge and unless you're trying to run the best/newest stuff the performance probably isn't worth it.

View Quote

Quoted:
XSX. Exact same games, menus, everything as Xbox One. Does run at full 4k and better graphics in games but it's not that much different.

View Quote

So basically if I don't have a 4K TV the new stuff ain't worth the upgrade to the newest Series X?  Just get the Xbox One X?  Looking to replace my Xbox 360 which is starting to act weird after 10+ years of use.  Hell I'm not even playing it, my kids are.  I ain't got no time for that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#18]
The dark souls series of games including blood borne ruined other games for me.

Ps5 and a copy of demons souls and blood borne.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So basically if I don't have a 4K TV the new stuff ain't worth the upgrade to the newest Series X?  Just get the Xbox One X?  Looking to replace my Xbox 360 which is starting to act weird after 10+ years of use.  Hell I'm not even playing it, my kids are.  I ain't got no time for that.
View Quote

You'll still benefit from the graphical improvements of the Series X even if you only have a 1080p TV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top