Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2022 7:13:29 PM EDT
My individual stock picks have been pretty lame here lately & I’m looking for advice.

I understand Motley Fool has a decent track record both in the short term and long. So, has anyone done business with them?  Are their fees worth while?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump for insight
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I'm glad someone's interested in the topic.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Am interested as well. Maybe the lack of a response is a conformation of sorts that not many people use it. I opened a fidelity account about 2 weeks ago and already lost about 2%. Don’t know if anything could have prevented that with a complete market downturn but wonder if Info from MF could have lessened the losses.

I will say I seems most of their success stories have grown long in the tooth. And, anyone who made halfway decent picks in 2020 would look like a genius today because everything went up 50 to 100%. Even a caveman would have been successful. This time it looks like it’s going to be a slow bleed to try and prevent the same from happening..

I am following the famous GD advice of DCA on the way down thus far and has lessened my LPS considerably.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to see that few have those accounts or have posted about them if they have an account.

Two weeks ago I opened a Schwab stock account. The wife and I are retired for many years and have several stock accounts with a local bank for many years. The accounts have grown over the years until I don't feel like putting additional money into them. I now do very little to manage them.

So I wanted an additional stock account that was easy to tie to my checking account, that I would also manage, that I could trade stocks with no charge, and I could dump the the excess funds from our checking account into, and then buy stocks as I wanted. We still have excess income each month and I am tired of putting the excess money in a low income savings account.

So far I am satisfied with the new Schwab account and I have made several very small trades to get a feel for the account. It is too new to me to recommend.

I think Schwab also offers managed stock accounts. I am not familiar with their managed accounts as I do my own management. Might be worth checking into for you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Am interested as well. Maybe the lack of a response is a conformation of sorts that not many people use it. I opened a fidelity account about 2 weeks ago and already lost about 2%. Don’t know if anything could have prevented that with a complete market downturn but wonder if Info from MF could have lessened the losses.

I will say I seems most of their success stories have grown long in the tooth. And, anyone who made halfway decent picks in 2020 would look like a genius today because everything went up 50 to 100%. Even a caveman would have been successful. This time it looks like it’s going to be a slow bleed to try and prevent the same from happening..

I am following the famous GD advice of DCA on the way down thus far and has lessened my LPS considerably.
View Quote

I've been reading articles about Motley Fool that says a lot of their long term returns are from picking Apple, Amazon, and Tesla early on.  One article I read was written by a guy who followed one of their programs for a year to see how it stacked up.  His one year return from following MF's suggestions were a little more than double the average return for the S&P 500 for the same year.  So it sounds like their short term and long term advice is reasonably sound.

But...my cynical side sees these articles like articles "reviewing" guns in gun mags, so I was hoping someone had some first hand experience with it.

In about a month I'll have some money free up and, unless someone chimes in with a horrible experience, I guess I'll roll the dice and see how it comes out.

Maybe I'll post a review.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sorry to see that few have those accounts or have posted about them if they have an account.

Two weeks ago I opened a Schwab stock account. The wife and I are retired for many years and have several stock accounts with a local bank for many years. The accounts have grown over the years until I don't feel like putting additional money into them. I now do very little manage them.

So I wanted an additional stock account that was easy to tie to my checking account, that I would also manage, that I could trade stocks with no charge, and I could dump the the excess funds from our checking account into, and then buy stocks as I wanted. We still have excess income each month and I am tired of putting the excess money in a low income savings account.

So far I am satisfied with the new Schwab account and I have made several very small trades to get a feel for the account. It is too new to me to recommend.

I think Schwab also offers managed stock accounts. I am not familiar with there managed accounts as I do my own management. Might be worth checking into for you.
View Quote

Thanks!  I'll take a look at it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Schwab account.  Have the Schwab 1000,  the Schwab 1000 etf, and one single stock I inherited, Home Depot.  Seems like HD is doing all right.  It’s tied to our checking account; however, we don’t take much money out.  Just large purchases, ie, 3 lots next to my farm for 60k.  Then a new-used car for my wife, 20k.  Then a used Denali for me, 57k.  Those were just using some funds from a cash account, through Schwab.  We don’t have a Schwab checking account.  Am interested in opinions about MF.  For some reason, I don’t take them seriously.  I don’t why I don’t, but I don’t.  Complete unsupported bias on my part.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've been reading articles about Motley Fool that says a lot of their long term returns are from picking Apple, Amazon, and Tesla early on.  One article I read was written by a guy who followed one of their programs for a year to see how it stacked up.  His one year return from following MF's suggestions were a little more than double the average return for the S&P 500 for the same year.  So it sounds like their short term and long term advice is reasonably sound.

But...my cynical side sees these articles like articles "reviewing" guns in gun mags, so I was hoping someone had some first hand experience with it.

In about a month I'll have some money free up and, unless someone chimes in with a horrible experience, I guess I'll roll the dice and see how it comes out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people have ridden the backs of Tesla and claimed that their picks have beat S&P500 over X years.  Their other picks probably have not done much.  No chance in hell they a doubling market returns every year.  By the time something has made it to Motley Fool, everyone has already made money on it.  They're bringing you in to buy at the top.  There's a reason they are the first to pop up on Google, because they pay for it.  You're better off reading various forums, jotting down a mentioned ticker, and then watching/researching yourself for a while.  I'm not saying Motley Fool is a bad thing, they may have decent ideas, but you're not getting any secret hot stock picks from them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#10]
What kind of fees are they charging?
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#11]
No professional would ever use it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A lot of people have ridden the backs of Tesla and claimed that their picks have beat S&P500 over X years.  Their other picks probably have not done much.  No chance in hell they a doubling market returns every year.  By the time something has made it to Motley Fool, everyone has already made money on it.  They're bringing you in to buy at the top.  There's a reason they are the first to pop up on Google, because they pay for it.  You're better off reading various forums, jotting down a mentioned ticker, and then watching/researching yourself for a while.  I'm not saying Motley Fool is a bad thing, they may have decent ideas, but you're not getting any secret hot stock picks from them.
View Quote

This is kind of where I am with MF as well. If I were to buy a stock for $3 and a platform to tell 1 million people about it, if they all buy in and pump the numbers up, I can then sell and tell you guys of my success.

By the way, I have a few stocks I would like to tell you guys about….Sure winners.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I would rather pay for seeking alpha or Morningstar
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
i just paid for a month of "simply wall st".  but it doesn't give buy sell recommendations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top