Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A little restaurant west of New Orleans is supposedly mobbed up.  Cash only business.
View Quote

Everyone says the food is great.

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Bar down the street never has but one or two cars in the lot many times none. Occasional semi and trailer or no trailer will be in the back of the lot.  

If it’s not for laundering money earned in some illicit method I would be supremely surprised.
View Quote

An old friend of mine talked about his band playing a bar that barely ever had any customers, but the owner hired them to come play all the time and paid VERY well.  He said things went on there that made them all figure it had to be some kind of a front.

A large grocery store chain in Kansas City had stories going around about it being a mob family business.  One thing I noticed was I went to another store that was the same chain, but not owned by that family, and it was dark and not a nice store at all.  I drove a little bit out of the way to one that WAS run by them and it was bright, clean and well stocked.  All of their stores were that way.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Mexican cartels have filled the vacuum left by the Italian syndicates in most places. I'm convinced they are laundering money through most of the Mexican restaurants in my area. In this small town of about 30K there are at least a dozen Mexican joints, in one place you can literally see 5 from one intersection. Every one of them is overstaffed and rarely ever anywhere near capacity, any other restaurant would have folded in 6 months with that kind of overhead but none of the Mexican places have ever closed.
View Quote

You are 100% correct. Seen it many times in my job.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#4]
There’s an ice cream place where we vacation that is 100% strictly cash only, that always makes me wonder.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Big cities are all rotten.
They should be debrided from our country.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Can someone explain what a gumball machine has to do with organized crime?

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There’s an ice cream place where we vacation that is 100% strictly cash only, that always makes me wonder.
View Quote

That probably just means they got tired of paying merchant fees. My barber is cash only now for that reason.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#8]
There’s a gun store in Okc that I’ve always suspected of being a money laundering operation. This place in the salad days wanted $5000 for a semi auto uzi. And every other gun in the store equally over priced.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A very pushy door to door home services salesman visited a relative today. Search the company and two holding companies away, italian mafia in a midwest city.

Evidently the company did $300M in home repair work in each of the past few years.

How does this shit go on in 2021?
View Quote

Keep askin' questions and you're gonna get clamped.

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#11]
this goes back a bit, but the Riviera Club in San Juan P.R. was owned by a New York wise guy.

very popular with sailors.

can you say "$10.00 and $2.00"?

i knew you could...

the place had a revolving stage that a calypso band played on.

every time they tried to play "Anchors Aweigh" they would get pelted with beer bottles.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can someone explain what a gumball machine has to do with organized crime?

View Quote

It's a cash business with no way of tracking sales.  You could sell one, penny gumball a month or thousands of them for another price.  You pay the taxes on the "sales", clean money.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought the machinist union on the west coast was a little shady, then I went to work "managing" the longshore.

No idea who actually pulls the strings, but the machinists looked like cub scouts next to that particular union. About the third time I got a barely veiled threat of physical harm for not playing ball I bought a P938 and started carrying it at work. Walked away a few months later.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#14]
@Clarinath

Rivers Edge?
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Out of town owned ones that stay in business with no customers are the ones that might raise my curiosity. Non perishable product and only counter sales.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@Clarinath

Rivers Edge?
View Quote

NO!

No, why would even think that?!?!?!?!

Of course not!!!

It was Floater’s Haven, yeah, that’s the ticket...

@groovyrascal
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A very pushy door to door home services salesman visited a relative today. Search the company and two holding companies away, italian mafia in a midwest city.

Evidently the company did $300M in home repair work in each of the past few years.

View Quote

We have the senile Big Guy sitting in the WH and you ask this?  
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#18]
When I was a kid working at a CNC shop, I would drive the truck with scrap chips to the scrap yard.  Going inside to get paid (all cash) you would wait behind a counter that obviously had shotguns under it.  There were always 4 or 5 older Italian guys back there never doing anything but eating and smoking and counting huge piles of cash right out on the table.  At any time there was $10k - $20k out in the open.  The older guy everyone knew owned all the scrap yards in town had a barber's chair installed in several of the scrap yards that only he would sit in.

100% of the catalytic converter I brought in they claimed were "non-OEM" and used less palladium than OEM converters and therefore were only worth $5.  Probably scrapped 4 of them over the years.  I once told the grease monkey working the scrap piles I took it off my own car and was 100% sure it was OEM. He took it out of my hands, chucked it behind the pile of converters (so I couldn't have it back) and gave me the ticket for $5.  I didn't press it any further.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they truly are mobbed up, chances are the Banks and Feds were well aware of what was going on. Sometimes the Feds want accounts to stay opened so they can monitor them to get more data.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A friend of mine rode with the Banditos for years but left the club and remained a friend and their mechanic.
So, a Bandito named Snake fucks my buddy’s wife.
The club broke the guys arms, my buddy kicked his ol lady out and the two of them moved into a fucking camper. I laugh thinking about her wiping his nasty, nasty ass.
View Quote

I've never had a problem with the main clubs, the only real assholes I've met have been in the feeder clubs.  Figure something about proving themselves.

Other than that, I stay out of the criminal/asshole side, and oddly enough, haven't ever had problems.  And better service for a small amount of cash.  Happy to shoot the breeze with whomever was passing through.  And yes, I showed up a few times wearing my ABUs.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#21]
It's gypsies where I grew up.

They've been known to show up at a nice elderly home, start doing repairs on a roof or fence, then their muscle shows up to collect. They just start working then demand unreasonable pay.

There's a town kind of in the middle of nowhere with a neighborhood of gypsy mansions.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Did some work on a restaurant at the Jersey shore that was a mob joint. You could tell when you walked in that something was off.

They were actually super nice guys lol
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes. I work in Rhode Island.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#24]
My first job in high school was at a Russian restaurant that was mob run. They basically used it as a visa mill to bring associates over. Lots of people on the time clock that never showed up to work. Occasionally a few people came in from out of town and they had private dinners in the back dining room. I was a busser and was told not to pay too much attention to anyone's face when I went in there to clear plates. They were actually decent to work for all things considered though.

A local Chinese buffet is a front for a money laundering operation. There's simply no other way that place survives. The food is garbage, there's never customers in the parking lot and they lease a massive space that can't possibly be cheap. Yet year after year it's still there. Twice I tried eating there over the years and it's just inedible garbage. Both times we were the only customers in the dining room during the lunch rush.

Dirty money keeps the lights on.

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A former student told me his family had a repair garage in Chicago. Two guys came by forcing the business to have a gumball machine in the lobby. No wasn't an option.
View Quote

Vending machines are a pretty common way that organized crime cleans dirty money. It's pretty much impossible to track actual sales as an outside investigator.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#26]
reminds me of a fun biker story from when I lived in Daytona. A club wanted to remodel their clubhouse or move or something. There was a fire started under mysterious circumstances, but the FD got it out quick. About a week later there's another, and it's put out again. I think 2 weeks later there was ANOTHER suspicious fire and the FD did nothing, the clubhouse burned and the fire was deemed accidental so insurance paid
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Present day in Glendale , CA , there are furniture stores that seem to never have customers yet they are successful .
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's gypsies where I grew up.

They've been known to show up at a nice elderly home, start doing repairs on a roof or fence, then their muscle shows up to collect. They just start working then demand unreasonable pay.

There's a town kind of in the middle of nowhere with a neighborhood of gypsy mansions.
View Quote

We get Irish Travelers around here every spring. Absolute thieving garbage and it should be legal to shoot them on sight. Their common rackets include asphalt "sealing" where they spray down your driveway with used motor oil, roofing where they get the money for materials up front only to never return and selling counterfeit tools like Snap-On and Mac. In between contracting scams they'll steal anything they can fence.

They duped my former FIL once selling flatscreens out of the back of a van in an empty parking lot. He got it home and the box had a rusty old fridge door in it.

Notice nobody ever complained about the Nazis rounding up gypsies?

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I guess it makes sense that MLM would have some mob ties as well.
View Quote

I have seen a few MLMs use fake company names or even steal other company names to get “applicants”. Fuck them
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I guess it makes sense that MLM would have some mob ties as well.
View Quote

I have seen a few MLMs use fake company names or even steal other companies names to get “applicants”. Fuck them
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Vending machines are a pretty common way that organized crime cleans dirty money. It's pretty much impossible to track actual sales as an outside investigator.
View Quote

Anything that accepts bills or change and isn't connected to the internet is perfect for that kind of thing.  Pool tables, bar-top touchscreens, upright arcade games, you name it.  Short of someone sitting on all of the machines, or setting up video surveillance, a business owns, there isn't any real way to prove anything.  And I would think you'd have to be moving a LOT of cash to make that kind of manpower worthwhile.  I'd have to say multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars.  Someone not paying taxes on $20,000/year doesn't seem like the juice would be worth the squeeze.  

I remember back in the hay day of bar coin-op, I'd pull down between $400 and $1000 a week from one account I had.  The trackball never stopped spinning, it seemed.  I had more ones in my safe than you would find in a strip club on a Friday night.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out the bank filed several SAR/CTRs on my banking activity.  There's no way they would have thought I was a stripper.  

I'm seriously considering getting back into that stuff.  There is a lot of money to be made on those games if you can manage to get a good location.  One place I have in mind would have the equipment all paid off before the end of summer if I were to get in by mid-Spring but I suspect that would take some "convincing" to make happen.  

Skill cranes are another good one to shuffle some money around.  Set the payout on them to whatever you like, and you'll have more quarters than a local bank branch in no time.  The prizes are cheap as hell and show some costs.  

The so-called "skill-based" poker games were huge money makers around here for a while, too.  One guy I know says he was paying off machines in the first 2 weeks.  If the Sheriff seized them, it was just an inconvenience.  Get a new one with different software and it was business as usual until they were seized again.  $3500 per machine and dozens would be seized each month.  Must be nice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My first job in high school was at a Russian restaurant that was mob run. They basically used it as a visa mill to bring associates over. Lots of people on the time clock that never showed up to work. Occasionally a few people came in from out of town and they had private dinners in the back dining room. I was a busser and was told not to pay too much attention to anyone's face when I went in there to clear plates. They were actually decent to work for all things considered though.

A local Chinese buffet is a front for a money laundering operation. There's simply no other way that place survives. The food is garbage, there's never customers in the parking lot and they lease a massive space that can't possibly be cheap. Yet year after year it's still there. Twice I tried eating there over the years and it's just inedible garbage. Both times we were the only customers in the dining room during the lunch rush.

Dirty money keeps the lights on.

View Quote

One of those near me, in Austin. It's a huge Chinese buffet, that maybe at one time was legit. Empty parking lot 90% of the time, and when there are cars it's 1 or 2, ever.

But, it's open and there are people working in there. I went in twice when I first moved here not knowing, and there were waaaay too many employees for an empty restaurants, all younger Chinese girls. My spidey sense pinged pretty hard, but I didn't do the 2+2 until the second time I went in and it dawned on me that it's a visa mill/traficking thing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Anything that accepts bills or change and isn't connected to the internet is perfect for that kind of thing.  Pool tables, bar-top touchscreens, upright arcade games, you name it.  
View Quote

My uncle ran a few small bars in Northern Indiana in the 80's and 90's, within a decent commute to lower Chicago. I asked him about mob stuff, and he said the only kind that he knew about was trash delivery services, on the commercial side, and the vending/bar top machine folks. The vending folks were easy to deal with, in and out and didn't bother him in any of his joints, but you had an understanding that they were going to have X number of machines in your bar, they'd be off limits to anyone but the company, and you'd get a small cut of them. He figured it was a lot easier to have them in the bar than bicker about it. Dunno how true it was, but he said if you played games with them or tried to get them out of the bar they'd have unruly/nasty people just come and ruin the bar. Didn't arouse too much suspicion like burning it or beating you up, but 5 or 6 really shitty loud customers running people off for nights on end will ruin your bar's take. So, rather than go to war, he just said sure sounds good and he got along fine with them. He said the workers were just normal folks, but when the owner/sales guys would come in they were stereotypical younger mob guys in behavior/attitude. Pleasant, if you were agreeable to their sales. If I had to guess, that's kind of a low level racket...small cog in the money laundering operations.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When I was a kid in the 70's, my dad was a Detective in the city/hometown we lived in. There was a fancy Chinese restaurant a few blocks away from the house that had all the cool dragons and pho dog statues outside, well I always wanted to go eat there but dad said we couldn't.  

So one day in the 90's we were talking about where we lived and restaurant's, I mentioned the place, he then told me that it was a mob backed business that they used to wash money and many of them hung out in the bar.

So about five years ago, I pick up a book on the N.J. mob and not that I did not believe my dad but it was mentioned in the book.
View Quote

Funny, there was a restaurant that looked like that near where I grew up that everyone thought was some type of money laundering. This one was a bit different in that it stayed open decades, never had any customers, and the help was surly and the food terrible when you actually went into it. Kind of a weird situation, though, since it was in Alabama, and the help workers were actually asian, so I have no idea who'd be getting the money.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Very common is construction. New company with 1 or 2 employees on the books opens up and immediately has a 5 million dollar bonding capacity and consistently underbids the usual GCs by 25%.

It took us a generation to get our bonding up to where it is today.

I'm guessing that these shells secure bids and get paid legitimately and in turn, pay their subs in cash.

I've had a few laborers apply here who have worked for the other guys. "My last employer paid overtime in cash. Can you do that here?"
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#39]
my dads 1st job when he landed in New Jersey was for a machine shop that was mob run and sponsored.

They even got a NASA contract for the Lunar module in the 60's.

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I always thought all the foot massage places in strip malls were a sham....the obvious hooker jokes aside.  There's no way these places are making rent on $25 foot and back massages, gotta be a money laundering operation.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Another Chinese restaurant story near me.

We have a Chinese buffet restaurant in a small town that I would bet my next paycheck is nothing but money laundering.

It is next to a popular Italian restaurant that is always full... we NEVER see a car at the Chinese place, or anyone eating inside. I went in there once and ate, no one else came in (scary, I know, for a buffet).

My son and I were at the Italian restaurant last year, finished eating and left. We pulled around the parking lot to go home, and just then a guy gets out of a car to go into the Chinese restaurant... then reaches back into his car, pulls out a big manila envelope, and tucks it under his jacket then walks inside.

It's been there for years and years, still in business, no clientele.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We have a Chinese buffet restaurant in a small town that I would bet my next paycheck is nothing but money laundering.

It is next to a popular Italian restaurant that is always full... we NEVER see a car at the Chinese place, or anyone eating inside. I went in there once and ate, no one else came in (scary, I know, for a buffet).

My son and I were at the Italian restaurant last year, finished eating and left. We pulled around the parking lot to go home, and just then a guy gets out of a car to go into the Chinese restaurant... then reaches back into his car, pulls out a big manila envelope, and tucks it under his jacket then walks inside.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But how's the food?
Quoted:

One of those near me, in Austin. It's a huge Chinese buffet, that maybe at one time was legit. Empty parking lot 90% of the time, and when there are cars it's 1 or 2, ever.

But, it's open and there are people working in there. I went in twice when I first moved here not knowing, and there were waaaay too many employees for an empty restaurants, all younger Chinese girls. My spidey sense pinged pretty hard, but I didn't do the 2+2 until the second time I went in and it dawned on me that it's a visa mill/traficking thing.

But what's the food like?
Quoted:

Funny, there was a restaurant that looked like that near where I grew up that everyone thought was some type of money laundering. This one was a bit different in that it stayed open decades, never had any customers, and the help was surly and the food terrible when you actually went into it. Kind of a weird situation, though, since it was in Alabama, and the help workers were actually asian, so I have no idea who'd be getting the money.

THANK YOU. I HAVE To know how good the food is at ML restaurants. it matters.
Quoted:

And... food quality?

I knew a chinese place in downtown of a major, expensive city. HUGE interior and seating capacity. At most all we saw was a couple people inside. Local, so could see if there were events or anything. Nothing made sense. Good food, but always empty there. Unless they managed to lock in decades of low rent...
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Many, many years ago I was on a working trip to Buffalo. Before supper with the host company reps at a fancy restaurant, we were warned not to discuss the Mafia, organized crime, or any of the like while inside.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I used to work security for 4 different strip clubs in the area. They were all connected to the same family. I'd also do other little errands and jobs for them too. I even bodyguarded one of their wives for awhile. They seemed very well to do and connected. I made great money. I know nothing... I saw nothing.

Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

But what's the food like?

View Quote

Mid-grade chinese buffet food, about what I expected. The girls were cute.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Cheese business in WI for example?

Pizza's need cheese
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#47]
One of my uncles worked for a mobbed-up business in Wisconsin.  When the manager of the company wanted to retire, he had to go see the Don to ask his permission.

A former boss of mine and his wife met an older couple on a cruise.  The man wasn't in good health, and was confined to a motorized scooter.  They became friends and would see each oher over the years.  The man was always very friendly, buying them drinks, cigars, etc.  After the man died, my boss found out that his good friend had been a made member of the Luchese family.  He had been allowed to retire when his health got too bad.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My uncle ran a few small bars in Northern Indiana in the 80's and 90's, within a decent commute to lower Chicago. I asked him about mob stuff, and he said the only kind that he knew about was trash delivery services, on the commercial side, and the vending/bar top machine folks. The vending folks were easy to deal with, in and out and didn't bother him in any of his joints, but you had an understanding that they were going to have X number of machines in your bar, they'd be off limits to anyone but the company, and you'd get a small cut of them. He figured it was a lot easier to have them in the bar than bicker about it. Dunno how true it was, but he said if you played games with them or tried to get them out of the bar they'd have unruly/nasty people just come and ruin the bar. Didn't arouse too much suspicion like burning it or beating you up, but 5 or 6 really shitty loud customers running people off for nights on end will ruin your bar's take. So, rather than go to war, he just said sure sounds good and he got along fine with them. He said the workers were just normal folks, but when the owner/sales guys would come in they were stereotypical younger mob guys in behavior/attitude. Pleasant, if you were agreeable to their sales. If I had to guess, that's kind of a low level racket...small cog in the money laundering operations.
View Quote

It can be as small or large of a cog as you want, really.  A couple locations won't do much but when you start getting some size to your operation, say, 100 contracts (5 pieces of equipment or more per contract), you can move tons of cash.  It'll never be as much as construction or trash but the amounts can certainly add up.  And considering it's traditionally a cash business, no on really bats an eye.  Figure a weekly flat fee of a couple hundred bucks right into the bar owner's pockets and you can claim whatever you want on the revenues.  If I were trying to clean a couple hundred thousand a year, I'd guess it could be done with about a dozen locations.  Figure a couple pool tables, skill crane (only for expenses), Golden Tee Fore/Complete, Megatouch (even though they're not being made anymore) and maybe a change machine and you're looking at 6 pieces of offline equipment that could easily be expected to clear $1000/week per location and you are in good shape.  $1k/week is on the very high end but not at all into suspicious territory especially if you've got a place that runs a pool league or in-house tournaments on other games.  Don't go with Golden Tee Live since the income info is transmitted over the internet and Incredible Technologies sends tax forms to some operators.  I can't remember if all get them or not.

Added:  How in the heck could I leave out poker machines.  Plus, you can create a bunch of no-show jobs for your guys on parole.  Since they're "in the field" it's kind of hard for a drop-in check on them.  And you don't need any real skills to speak of to do regular maintenance on most of the machines.  If you can operate a can of glass cleaner and a rag, you're in pretty good shape.  You'd only need one real tech on hand to handle the repairs.  Anyone who has pinball machines knows it's clean the glass and empty the coins or rip into it and start diagnosing switches and stuff.  Not much in-between.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A former student told me his family had a repair garage in Chicago. Two guys came by forcing the business to have a gumball machine in the lobby. No wasn't an option.
View Quote

is the phrase "to have a gumball machine in the lobby" code for something Im not aware of????
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Lots....there are a lot of crime syndicates other than the mafia out there.
View Quote

Bronfman crime family is a great one...they got their own country and banks for cryin' out loud.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top