Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2019 5:25:44 PM EDT
The local Copart auction house has some nice looking project cars that have "mechanical" damage (whatever that means..who knows)...but interior and exterior are perfect.

I was thinking about trying to pick something up nice and cheap as a project car. Anyone ever bought  a car from them?  How does the whole process work?
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Guys make a living on youtube buying project cars from Copart and fixing them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guys make a living on youtube buying project cars from Copart and fixing them.
View Quote
Yep...I've done that a few times myself, just never went through Copart.

Picked up an 06' Audi last year for $500 from a local guy. Put a new valve in the cylinder head, Gave it a tune up, and sold it for $4,000. If you know how to turn wrenches....it's an easy way to make some money.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Atleast in my state a large majority of the vehicles they have required you to have a license to sell vehicles (salvage titles etc) of some sort. They are definitely a bargain and if you know what you’re looking for some are a great bargain.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I watch a bunch of youtube channels of people who do it.  One thing I have learned is to NEVER buy a Copart vehicle that is listed by a private party or a non insurance company.

There are countless videos of people who bought Copart vehicles listed by entities other than insurance companies with MAJOR damage (not noted) covered up, Teslas with the batteries removed, disabling the airbag lights or putting relays in place of the bags so it looks like they are there, when they are gone, putting bondo with some spray paint on severe frame damage without actually fixing it, putting a different hood  on a severely damaged car and zip tying it down so you wont see the real damage, you name it...
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Need a dealer license. You can take the car for parts and that's the end of it.

If you want to drive it again, you need to get it recertified for use on your road. This varies for salvage cars from state to state. There are definitely deals to be had if you are patient and know what to look for.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you want to drive it again, you need to get it recertified for use on your road. This varies for salvage cars from state to state. There are definitely deals to be had if you are patient and know what to look for.
View Quote
There are services out there who will bid on your behalf if you dont have a dealer license.  Just putting it out there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
No...you don't need a dealers license. You can register as an "individual" buyer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#8]
2020 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0L =MasterRace, Bro. Just make sure it’s $50,000+.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I watch a bunch of youtube channels of people who do it.  One thing I have learned is to NEVER buy a Copart vehicle that is listed by a private party or a non insurance company.

There are countless videos of people who bought Copart vehicles listed by entities other than insurance companies with MAJOR damage (not noted) covered up, Teslas with the batteries removed, putting bondo with some spray paint on severe frame damage without actually fixing it, putting a different hood  on a severely damaged car and zip tying it down so you wont see the real damage, you name it...
View Quote
This. Some people will mask damage, doing a half-assed fix just to hide it, so they can list it with less damage than it actually has and get more money. Then you get burned with over-paying for a car that needs more repairs (and more money) than you were led to believe. If you're really serious about doing one, you're best off taking a trip to the yard and looking at the vehicle first hand before buying it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Depending on you state you made need a broker or dealer friend to place the bid for you as made need a license to buy a salvaged car. I have a guy who takes 100$ to bid and win a car for me. I pay him the $100 when I get the winning paperwork and go there with a cashier check to pick the car up. I only wanted the interior of an Escalade so I stripped it and scraped the body. So no inspection was needed to get it back on the road.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
2020 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0L =MasterRace, Bro. Just make sure it’s $50,000+.
View Quote
Can you translate?
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The only salvage car I'd consider is hail damaged cars. Flood car no fucking way, wrecked cars, nope, frames are meant to bend now too easy. Hail damage because of little dings on every panel can total a car easy with no effect on its operation.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No...you don't need a dealers license. You can register as an "individual" buyer.
View Quote
https://www.copart.com/content/us/en/landing-page/no-license-required

It depends on the state. Looks like in MO, it's dependant on the current title status of the car. My guess is that salvage titles require a dealer or intermediary.

I wasn't entirely right, but in my state, it's dealer purchase only. Not like that's hard to get, but it's required by the purchaser.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The only salvage car I'd consider is hail damaged cars. Flood car no fucking way, wrecked cars, nope, frames are meant to bend now too easy. Hail damage because of little dings on every panel can total a car easy with no effect on its operation.
View Quote
Salvage doesn't mean frame damage. Damage enough small panels and parts and the repair bill adds up fast.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Near New Yukon HIDING MAJOR DAMAGE At Auto Auction

Dealer Selling Flood Cars with "NO Evidence of Water ANYWHERE" Exposed!
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I use to feel the same way. But my buddy in Houston has been buying Copart cars for a few years. He's smart about it, after Harvey you'd be surprised at what got totaled as "flooded".

If the water got anywhere near the fuse boxes it was a no go and it's usually easy to tell. Like another poster said, if you're smart about it you can get some really nice finds for the money. But my buddy says 90% of the stuff is junk.

He's currently looking for a "beater" for my mom as a DD. $5k will go pretty far if you find the right car.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#18]
My daughters car a 2014 Forte was nice but got hail damaged, it booked for $9K but had 8K in hail damage, no broken windows just dings on every panel, so the insurance totaled it and I bought it back for $2800.

There was more BS involved than I thought though. Had to fill out paper work send it in to DOT, they sent salvage title back, but then I had to get an "enhanced inspection" scheduled which took a while, then I had to fill out a bunch of form to get a reconstructed title send it to DOT...but in the end I got a nice car with minor cosmetic damage for $2800.

The R title will kill the value but who cares at that price I'll drive the wheels off it for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#19]
My dad has a UD license.  We have used copart for years.  I bought my daily driver from copart about 3 months ago.  There can be amazing deals and then you can get a car with way more problems than what you thought it had, definitely buyer beware.  Their sales fees are also pretty high.  I think the last car I bought I won for around $3500 and the buyer fees were around $6-700 more plus getting it shipped to me.  My dad collects older cars and has probably a couple dozen sports cars he has bought over the years through copart.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Salvage doesn't mean frame damage. Damage enough small panels and parts and the repair bill adds up fast.
View Quote
Well yeah...thats what I was talking about. But hail damage is the only totaled/salvage car I'd buy due to the circumstances.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm the exact opposite.  Hail damaged cars don't typically sell for enough of a discount to make them profitable after the expensive repairs it takes to get them fixed.  Flood cars are a mixed bag.  If you get a fresh water flood car they can be very easy and inexpensive to fix.  I wouldn't touch a salt water flood though due to rust and salt residue left everywhere.  As far as frame damage a lot of modern cars a designed with frames with multiple pieces that bolt together, so fixing them isn't all that bad either if you can just unbolt and replace the bent part.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought 2 motorcycles from them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well yeah...thats what I was talking about. But hail damage is the only totaled/salvage car I'd buy due to the circumstances.
View Quote
I guess I should have said collision salvaged cars don't mean frame damage. Break both headlights, the grill, bumper, a fender, corner light, etc, and you're well into 4-5 figures for most cars. All of those parts are incredibly easy to replace if you have any mechanical aptitude.

I'd rather have that than a car with dents all over panels that can't be replaced without cutting, welding, blending, painting, etc. Damage to integral panels is an almost certainty with hail damaged cars, not with collision damaged cars.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm the exact opposite.  Hail damaged cars don't typically sell for enough of a discount to make them profitable after the expensive repairs it takes to get them fixed.  Flood cars are a mixed bag.  If you get a fresh water flood car they can be very easy and inexpensive to fix.  I wouldn't touch a salt water flood though due to rust and salt residue left everywhere.  As far as frame damage a lot of modern cars a designed with frames with multiple pieces that bolt together, so fixing them isn't all that bad either if you can just unbolt and replace the bent part.
View Quote
And again the point is missed that you dont bother fixing it, no need to and you can buy it cheap and drive the wheels off of it.

No need to fix hail damage dings as opposed to something that hit a tree or got water logged. I'm not taking about flipping them for profit as dealer just as a cheap driver.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#25]
A real basic way to check a vehicle is to run the VIN number through google image search. Many times you will see the vehicle when it was first taken to the Copart or salvage yard....then sometimes miraculously it will be reauctioned a week later and have what looks like alot less damage, but the hood is off a different model vehicle, or headlights from different vehicles.  In the end you really have to do your homework.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A real basic way to check a vehicle is to run the VIN number through google image search. Many times you will see the vehicle when it was first taken to the Copart or salvage yard....then sometimes miraculously it will be reauctioned a week later and have what looks like alot less damage, but the hood is off a different model vehicle, or headlights from different vehicles.  In the end you really have to do your homework.
View Quote
Yep, and copart has historical auctions shown on current auctions. I think Sam Crac saw one that looked too good to be true, and sure enough, the car was completely ripped apart and put back together hastily.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a guy at work that flips cars off coparts pick me up a honda accord for a beater daily driver. He got it, swapped out a door and bumper and sold it to me for what he had in it. I was happy with it. Even had remote start. Nothing wrong with a salvage title car if you know what is wrong with it and know how to work on cars.
ETA he got it checked out and titled before selling it to me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Can you translate?
View Quote
GBPSE
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I send alot of cars to Copart. Many of them it's just body damage that pushed over the total loss threshold. Alot of them wouldnt need a salvage title in my state. I wouldnt hesitate to buy one if I knew what I was getting in to.

ETA even with flood cars alot of the time they arent bad. Even if it's not technically a total I try to get these totaled just not to deal with the potential headache of supplemental damage in the future. Usually if it's over 6-8 years old and in a parking lot with water over the rockers I total it and send to auction. I dont usually deal with salt water claims here
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't understand how the bidding works.  You can bid any time you want online.....but they say "auction is on every Wednesday".
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't, but know those that do.
If the hood is stuck, dont buy it
If the keys are missing....its a blown motor
If something isn't in a picture, you can assume its missing, like the back seats.
buy for fun but repairs can go stratospheric if you don't know what you are doing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Be careful. Depending on your states rules, know a guy that bought an Audi that needed some body work and some airbags. Long story short after fixing it he can’t register it due to the accident history of airbag deployment. (A least that’s his version of the story) so now he’s out a good amount of money.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Personally only way I would buy something from copart is either hail damage or for a project off roader.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. My 05 Civic EX Spc Ed coupe was totaled by State Farm two days ago when a lady hit me in the right front(Quik Trip parking lot). Damage sustained to my car is as follows replacement of steering knuckle, lower control arm, outer tie rod, strut assy, fender and bumper cover. State Farm offered me $4555 for my car with 186000 miles on it. Salvage quote was $469, so I retained my car for $469 and State Farm is sending me a check for almost $3900. I can source a low mile knuckle from LKQ for $69 shipped, other suspension components through Rock Auto(MOOG K series, AC Delco Professional series) along with some KYB struts from there. Two body panels from Certifit. Equals a major win for us with a lot of cash leftover afterwards.

Oh, Bodyshop est was at almost $3800 which included paint and blending with much labor I'm sure. We have a 11k pound 2 post lift in our 40x60 morton building so this will be easy peasy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Depends if you're in a state with stealership protection laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top