Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Shipping is going to fuck you over so bad, it's even more expensive than the tanks themselves. This is one of the things Europeans have over us, they can get way cheaper milsurp armor from the ex-commie states.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First person I though of.

I always thought the Ferret was cool as hell.  IIRC this one sold for like $27k

https://i.imgur.com/JptmA80l.jpg
View Quote

I want. At least with that the value would hold or appreciate unlike a normal vehicle. I wonder if it could be street legal?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I want. At least with that the value would hold or appreciate unlike a normal vehicle. I wonder if it could be street legal?
View Quote

I've seen them in a bunch of car restoration shows, so yeah. Jay Leno also has one.

1959 Ferret Armoured Scout Car Mk2 - Jay Leno's Garage
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sorry.  I had not noticed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one has tags visible anymore

Sorry.  I had not noticed.

No worries
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

First person I though of.

https://i.imgur.com/JptmA80l.jpg
View Quote

Now that looks like it would be fun to hunt feral hogs out of!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I wrote Va and ND because I couldn't remember off the top of my head where your family homestead was located.

NY sucks and I am looking to sell my hotel and move on to the next thing.

Va and ND and Mt all sound like places where I don't go to bed at night wondering if I'm going to wake up at 4 am to a state police red flag hit squad because I may possibly own body armor.

Still buying into a tankshare or militaryhelicoptershare sounds like crazy fun.  

Va has  great weather and is close but seems to be following NY in tyranny. ND or Mt sounds like less tyranny but so far away with really harsh weather.

Selling the hotel and what to do next is overwhelming for all the possibilities.

If you are ever in upstate NY you are welcome at my hotel.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

I’m in NOVA.  We can keep it at my place!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I had the ducats, a Soviet PT-76 amphib would be my vehicle.  Cross rivers! Laughs at snow.  Also consume less fuel than a Tiger I.

View Quote

I'd like to have an ASU-85
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]
There's someone out on the Highway that has a couple of armored vehicles for sale plus a real Unimog.  I'd like to get the Unimog.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m down for fractional ownership just needs a lot more fractions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

FUCK NO!!!  I notice you don't have dog tags by your avatar.  I was a tanker for 22 years.  You have no idea of what maintenance it takes to keep a tank operational.  In the 80's it was a truism that it took 8-10 hours of maintenance for every hour of driving.  Who is going to do your DS and GS maintenance.  Have you ever pulled a pack, Bro?

ETA: No matter who does your DS/GS maintenance, I can guarantee you that they will call at 15:30 on the Friday before a long weekend to say "Your shit's ready.  Come get it!"
View Quote

They took all the bling away.  No more tanks, dog tags, Etc,  all that stuff is gone for Now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#15]
For a future conflict... in minecraft I would think speed and easy maintainability would be key.

armored up construction equipment would probably be cheaper to acquire and much cheaper to maintain.  Of course the question becomes what do you fire off of it.  Maybe nothing, maybe a killdozer type that plants expl  o. sives or acts as an armored transport.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Oshkosh JLTV

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have the money these guys can provide.  https://www.excaliburarmy.cz/
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They took all the bling away.  No more tanks, dog tags, Etc,  all that stuff is gone for Now.
View Quote

Thanks. I had not noticed.  I apologize to anyone I criticized for not having dogtags.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No?
View Quote

Would like to have an M1 Abrams. Maintenance would probably be a bitch though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm holding out for battlefield pickups
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:03:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I so want a Ferret and have a transferable 1919 to put in it even. My buddy has one but it is stripped down and rusty awaiting restoration that he will probably never get around to doing.

He says that they are reliable and the biggest issue is transmissions in them so if your going to buy one make sure it drives.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:56:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Interested but poor
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:32:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It needs to have a working main gun or it sucks. Just my dumb opinion. I had thought about how cool it would be to own a Sherman, because I liked those tanks as a kid.
View Quote

A Sherman would be nice to own. Of course then I'd have to get an old Colt 1911, a Garand, and a Thompson (Tommy Gun).
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've always wanted a Ferret!

If I was rich and didn't have to work, I'd get a rolling chassis from another vehicle and make my own.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I like the upgraded BMP...any idea what those run?
View Quote
No clue. One of my customers from my day job told me about them as a parts company.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Id love to have the up-armored TLC I drove in Afghanistan.  Thing was a beast and never let us down.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I’ve always wanted one of these. I know where a M3 is that was converted over to M16 specs stateside during WW2, still has all factory armor.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If I had the ducats, a Soviet PT-76 amphib would be my vehicle.  Cross rivers! Laughs at snow.  Also consume less fuel than a Tiger I.

View Quote

That will be important in the coming years.

.....or just do the Tiger yourself. I suspect that the Ruskies have it in kit form by now.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

FUCK NO!!!  I notice you don't have dog tags by your avatar.  I was a tanker for 22 years.  You have no idea of what maintenance it takes to keep a tank operational.  In the 80's it was a truism that it took 8-10 hours of maintenance for every hour of driving.  Who is going to do your DS and GS maintenance.  Have you ever pulled a pack, Bro?

ETA: No matter who does your DS/GS maintenance, I can guarantee you that they will call at 15:30 on the Friday before a long weekend to say "Your shit's ready.  Come get it!"
View Quote
LS Swap?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I like the upgraded BMP...any idea what those run?
View Quote

39-90k
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It needs to have a working main gun or it sucks. Just my dumb opinion. I had thought about how cool it would be to own a Sherman, because I liked those tanks as a kid.
View Quote

This, otherwise the next best thing would be an APC, personally fond of the BTRs, and BMPs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Can I play?

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm going to be honest with you, you don't want to go in with me on an armored vehicle. Hell I wouldn't even lease a Honda Civic to me. I'm gonna beat the piss out of it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#40]
@ben

Mortar is a known scam. Don’t deal with them. If you do end up wanting something the boss imports them, we got the leopards that came in the last couple of years.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There I was, thinking about how my old roommate and a few buddies went in and bought a couple planes together.  Then it hit me...people buy planes together all the time.  One guy can fly a plane though- tanks and armored vehicles have a crew of 3, 4, sometimes even 5.  

I want to buy an armored vehicle.  You want to buy an armored vehicle.  Why don't we all get together and buy armored vehicles for fun and adventure?  Some armored vehicles are surprisingly inexpensive.  Most are cheaper than a nice new sports car.

This is a thread for people that want to buy armored vehicles.  Let's locate 3 or 4 of your new best crew friends and come to some arrangements.  

Anyone round abouts driving distance from Northern Virginia that wants some armor?

$50k dollars- split 4 ways for a measly 12.5k each gets this guy:

https://mortarinvestments.eu/userfiles/images/items/T55AM2/width1200w/_6228039%20(1).JPG

$30k dollars split up to 10 or more ways...just a few thousand each...gets you this guy:

http://www.exarmyvehicles.com/media/galleries/1658/bvp-1_01.jpg

If Soviet armor is too commie for you, how about a lovely Austrian armored fighting vehicle ready for your 20mm barrel to eliminate prairie dogs or ground hogs in style?

http://www.exarmyvehicles.com/media/galleries/1669/saurer_4k_4fa_vez_02.jpg

View Quote

I like the idea of arfcom regional groups pitching in to buy themselves an armored APC or tank to get running. If anything were to go down, said groups aka squads already have an armored vehicle that they can use to their advantage. For example in TX, Austin alone has about 6 regional groups, San Antonio has about 1, though I'm sure that could be increased if more TX members networked, I think Houston can have about 3 regional groups maybe even a few more, and the Corpus guys have about 1 group with the potential for more.

That's about 11 armored vehicles in only 4 regions of TX, not counting the rest of the state, only the ones that made threads to network so far per the hometown forum. Now imagine if all of arfcom did the same in other states. We really could have our own small army.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Shipping is going to fuck you over so bad, it's even more expensive than the tanks themselves. This is one of the things Europeans have over us, they can get way cheaper milsurp armor from the ex-commie states.
View Quote

Not even remotely close to being true. How many have you shipped? @jackthom8

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A Sherman would be nice to own. Of course then I'd have to get an old Colt 1911, a Garand, and a Thompson (Tommy Gun).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1911 and an M3 grease gun were the issue arms for tankers.

Pulling a pack gets done based on run hours. An M48-M60 series tranny and oil change is measured in multiple gallons.  Plenty of grease points and hydraulic maintenance as well.

Lots of work.  Never mind changing a track block.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This will break your heart. I worked with an old welder who had a business building yarders during the height of the PNW logging boom, maybe in the 60's - 70's. He would go to Europe and buy a trainload of surplus Shermans, ship them back, salvage the hull and running gear, and turn them into yarders. He described removing the rubber from roadwheels by burning them in his back yard. The rest of the tank would go to scrap.
View Quote

Lots of old tank chassis yarders still around.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#49]
You should get wheeled stuff for VCDL lobby days.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

In all seriousness- I already cleared it with the wife to build a reproduction WWI biplane and put an airstrip in on our place in Montana. A kit plane can be done for...less than a toyota tacoma.
View Quote

If you really want a WWI biplane, contact the flight school at Greenville Pa Municipal Airport (Address: 511 E Jamestown Rd, Greenville, PA 16125
Phone: (724) 588-1665). Ask if there is still a company still building biplanes in their hangar.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top