Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/30/2022 9:00:25 AM EDT
Seasonal Affective Disorder.....anyone else get it?  

It seems to hit me harder every year. As soon as the time change happens in fall, it seems to hit. I go to work in the morning in the dark, get stuck in an office all day with no windows, and then drive home as it's getting dark.  It just sucks the energy and motivation out of me.  After I get home from work, I don't even want to do anything except go to sleep.....it really sucks.   The weekends are better since I can get out in the sun and get some fresh air.......but during the week, it really stinks.  No sun at all + cold temps just suck any and all motivation I have to do anything after work.

Anyone else get the "winter blues".... ??  Any tips for trying to kick it?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Seasonal Affective Disorder.....anyone else get it?  

It seems to hit me harder every year. As soon as the time change happens in fall, it seems to hit. I go to work in the morning in the dark, get stuck in an office all day with no windows, and then drive home as it's getting dark.  It just sucks the energy and motivation out of me.  After I get home from work, I don't even want to do anything except go to sleep.....it really sucks.   The weekends are better since I can get out in the sun and get some fresh air.......but during the week, it really stinks.

Anyone else get the "winter blues".... ??  Any tips for trying to kick it?
View Quote

Pray for spring.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea I hate it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:06:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Light therapy really works.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the same boat for work.    But unless it's really nasty outside, I will walk outside to go check out material in another building.   Once or twice a day.  Its possible to walk there and stay entirely inside, but it helps to see the sun, or clouds, even if its just for a couple minutes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one of those desk top lights at work.......I've tried using it the last few years, but all it seem to do it blind the hell out of me
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Vit D. Less time outside and less sun. I know people will say supplement with d3, but it’s not metabolized the same way and the extra free calcium in blood can be troublesome, even if you do k2 not everybody responds to it.

It’s just life. Deal. I would be curious of light therapy though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#7]
You should probably stay out of Alaska in the winter.

Up here, we stay busy playing and I look forward to winter sports.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

What kind of light we talking? Tanning bed?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a dawn simulating alarm clock.  There's an OK one (which I currently use in one of my residences) for <$30.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Basically in what would be summer daytime hours you want to be around fairly bright bluish light in the morning, and see minimal blue light at night right before bed (use the "eye comfort shield" or similar on your phone/tablet at night).
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I like fall. I like winter.  It's not the season.

I hate the end of year trifecta of holidays.

Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. Coupled with year end business activities, I find these holidays depressing.  I am better off ignoring them and doing something more everyday living/vacation.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#11]
We don't get enough cool/cold weather down here to suit me, and I get to use my NODS more... so nah
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Winter is for hunting, I start getting excited when the leaves start falling / temps drop.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Short days suck balls. Especially working from dark to dark.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#14]
It helps me to engage in activities that I enjoy during the winter to lessen seasonal affective disorder.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have one of those desk top lights at work.......I've tried using it the last few years, but all it seem to do it blind the hell out of me
View Quote

Is it an actual light therapy box/ right type of light? Dosing in the am with those is usually highly effective. I suffer SAD badly and really wish no one had to.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Winter is for hunting, I start getting excited when the leaves start falling / temps drop.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also vitamin D as mentioned and go outside as much as possible.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Take up astronomy.  It will give you something to do in the dark clear evenings.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I hate it, gets dark early because of time change.   Leaving DST all year would help.  Other than that it's winter, shorter days until we loop around the sun again.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I have to actively battle it or it takes over

Read about wim hoff this will make being outside perfectly (more or less) comfortable

Exercise:1 hour per day of exercise is 3 hours of productivity.

Light therapy: what can it hurt.

Get outside:  hike whatever

And yeah vit d

Also stack your vacation days towards the winter.

Move to az
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#21]
The first time I heard the term S.A.D used for a disorder it was for Seasonal Appetite Disorder, referring to over eating during the holidays.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Not much of a problem here with SAD.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm a weirdo and enjoy the cold and dark
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes I do.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Ask your husband to go out for a nice walk or take you to dinner.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Gets worse the older I get.  This year was real bad as I really didn't want to see summer end.  

Christmas kind of gets you through the first part of winter.  Wish I could just hibernate through Jan/Feb.  March starts giving you hints of spring so that gives you the jolt to make it through the final stretch.  

Need a winter activity.  I got a new computer game I’m getting sucked into now so that will help me through this winter.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Vitamin D staves it off for me.

That and being ready for a little down time, I look forward to short cold days after the new year, at least for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Probably won't be popular, but I'm tired of hearing about most disorders and syndromes. I'm not saying they don't exist. Imagine pharmaceutical companies came up calling them syndromes and disorders to prescribe drugs. Find a new hobby, take a multi-vitamin, read, volunteer somewhere etc. I'm an asshole I guess or don't have any idea what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Tell your doctor. Despite what the GD horde preaches, a low dose antidepressant can completely change things for you without turning you into a zombie.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I just started taking vitamin d. Seems to be helping. I'm already very active and still struggle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Standard time
Absolutely sucks
Duh

On eastern edge of CST in KY it was dark before 4:30 in December and that sucks.

Moved to FL and now despite sucky standard time it doesn't get dark till at least 5:15 - EST.

S.A.D. reduction by relocation.

DST indefinitely would lower S.A.D. too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Standard time
Absolutely sucks
Duh

On eastern edge of CST in KY it was dark before 4:30 in December and that sucks.

Moved to FL and now despite sucky standard time it doesn't get dark till at least 5:15 - EST.

S.A.D. reduction by relocation.

DST indefinitely would lower S.A.D. too.
View Quote

How would DST help that?  You still get a very short day, and it just fucks the morning people even more.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Not in FL, but if I go up north during winter it hits me hard
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#34]

I'm facing my second brutally cold and windy Yooper winter* and I hope it's better than the last one and it likely will be unless my bother's cancer returns or my dog dies again.

* loving every minute of it!  20 degrees outside with 20 mph wind gusts. Keeps the rif-raf away.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#35]
nope...I do get the summer time, summer time sadness
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I sleep more in the winter.  Vitamin D seems to help significantly.  I get sunlight whenever I can.  Either lots of sun through the windows or outdoors all afternoon.

Exercise isn't a cure, but it doesn't hurt.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted: I'm an asshole I guess.
View Quote
No way.

IIRC you're a Genesis fan so that automatically makes in nearly impossible to be an ass.

Peter>Phil
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#38]
I haven’t had that problem since escaping Seattle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Terrible, yeah. Lotta vitamin d and giving myself permission to be lazy without guilt seems to get me by.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#40]
No, stop being bitches.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I like fall. I like winter.  It's not the season.

I hate the end of year trifecta of holidays.

Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. Coupled with year end business activities, I find these holidays depressing.  I am better off ignoring them and doing something more everyday living/vacation.
View Quote

All this....I am 55 now and would ignore all of it if not for the wife..

I live and grew up in S fla luckily so....but I went to college in Boone,NC and I left after the first winter..got too depressed with 50 degree overcast misty weather everyday
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No, stop being bitches.
View Quote

Sir, please don’t be so dismissive and judgmental.

This time of year SAD really makes my restless leg syndrome flare up causing crippling fibromyalgia and moderate to severe ass psoriasis. This makes it difficult to drive my scooter because of how it reacts with my chronic fatigue syndrome necessitating a higher dose of adderal just to have the strength to binge and purge lunch.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:10:17 AM EDT
[#43]
I find the best thing that cures me being sad is making love to a THICC MILF

I bet there are copious amounts of THICC MILFS in your AO

The best date you can have is go watch some live music, then go to the Texas Roadhouse then go back home and make love
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The first time I heard the term S.A.D used for a disorder it was for Seasonal Appetite Disorder, referring to over eating during the holidays.

View Quote

It's also Standard American Diet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Nope.  I love winter.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#46]
I get sad during Summer.  I fucking hate it.  Winter here means hunting and the best fishing all year.

To be fair, we obviously don't have Winters like a lot of other areas.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SlackAss Disease
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#48]
I have that but when it rains. I’m fine in the winter otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#49]
You guys that hate winter need to change your lives.

I LOVE winter. Snow skiing, snowmobiling, wet dirt for the dirt bikes, camping and sitting around a bonfire with friends. I'm not sure if I like winter or summer better. Spring and Fall are great, too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#50]
I've already installed two ceiling fans, a new kitchen sink and faucet, and I'm painting and replacing fixtures in our guest bathroom this weekend.  

I've got enough shit lined up at this point that I will run out of things to do in March, which should coincide perfectly with being able to go outside and work on the yard again.  

Just stay busy OP, find an indoor hobby you like, or just get shit done around the house that you've been putting off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top