Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2022 11:57:10 AM EDT
Saturday we went on a Spur of the moment SxS ride that on Friday night was just going to be us and two other couples on their SxSs.
We met at a friends place in town, by the time we departed his place we had 14 SxSs, 2 4Wheelers and a dirt bike going.

Most of the riding was off road on trails other SxSs had made in the past though wooded areas and a few back roads.  
We all stopped to socialize and get another beer about 15 times, at one point we were going down this back road though the hills and we came though this patch of trailers and houses (and I use that term houses very loosely), it looked like soem shit out of "The Hills Have Eyes"...  There had to be a ally a hundred animals on both sides of the road and on it.  Sheep, goats, alpacas, donkeys, geese, and a few other critters...  I was like WTF!!!!  
They slowly parted the road as we drove though.  Thankfully, we did not see any people at this location.  I'm afraid of what they would be.

We finally ended up at this huge lake I never saw or heard of before that was out in the middle of BFE.  I couldn't even tell you where there was an actual road or hwy at in relation to this place.  My best guess is it was about 2-3 counties SE of us.

One of the guys said it was a development, started on years ago that was going to be a private lake community with a small airport, Hotel and all high end condos.  Supposedly the only access into it was to fly in.
The guy spearheading it somehow went bankrupt or died, the project just died and the lake sits.  You can tell others had been there camping and partying.  

Two of the guys on a dare stripped down to their drawers and dove in the lake, swam around for a few then came out.

It had to be cold as shit. It was pretty cloudy and I think it was in the low 40s that day.  
I wearing a hoody and a lite jacket, but I got chilly when the breeze came though.  

After they came out of the lake, we drank more beer and grilled up a bunch of Hot Dogs and Brauts on a few portable grills that some of the guys brought along. Not long after that, we started the journey home. Several of us were Shotgunning Beers, apparently thats the thing to do now days, even for adults.  This one dude, he could shotgun a whole can in under 3 seconds.  You tried to time/video him, it was like go, 123, done.

Aside from extra fuel, small tool bag, toiletries, a cooler of food and drinks, I took a small sling bag that had a handheld GPS, handheld CB, cheapy Cobra GMRS radio and a Beofeng 2m/70m, in case we needed or wanted comms.  No one else seemed too have radios, so it was kinda a waste.

All in all, I had a great time, especially for an unplanned event.  
I would have like to have known about it a few days earlier and invited a few more of my friends who ride and offroad.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like fun. Unless I’m going to the range or store most of my rides are at least a half day. We do a couple of over night trips too. I don’t like riding in big groups though, there’s too much stopping for me. 3-5 machines max.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like fun. Unless I'm going to the range or store most of my rides are at least a half day. We do a couple of over night trips too. I don't like riding in big groups though, there's too much stopping for me. 3-5 machines max.
View Quote
I fully agree...  Its neat too look at the line or group as a whole, but pain to keep everyone moving.

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#3]
We ride with a group which started out 5-7 machines..  over the years, it's grown to 20 or so machines ( not always though).  I've really got to the point that I hate the big group rides..  Don't get me wrong, I'm all about stopping, having a beer and shooting the shit, but after awhile and the beer gets flowing, it seems like its "grab a beer and piss break" every 5-10 minutes.  Also, when it comes to a sketchy hill climb/rock crawl, it takes forever to get a bunch of machines through it..  Never fails, joe bobs cousin shows up for the ride with a beat to shit, gutted out YXZ and we have to winch him over every gopher mound we encounter.

3-5 machines is my ideal riding group size.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Most of our rides are what I would call a full day.  Starting around 9 or 10 and depending on where we are going until late into the night.

When doing technical stuff I definitely prefer our small group of 3-4 rigs.  

When trail riding, or what I like to call "booze cruise", doesn't really matter on number.  More about the friendships and hanging out at that point.

We spend a lot of money to drink beer in the woods. lol
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]
At least twice a year sometimes three times a year myself and three others ride Hatfield McCoy for three days.  We routinely do 100-miles in a day.  Years ago I rode a Yamaha Raptor 700, now I ride a dirt bike.  One guy rides a dirt bike and the other two a SxS.  We use headset comms which does make the ride better so we don't stop as much to figure out which way to go next.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We spend a lot of money to drink beer in the woods. lol
View Quote
Yes.  Yes, we do.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#7]
We avoid alcohol consumption while riding. We do our drinking in camp when the riding is over. We might have a beer or two on the ride but even that’s rare.

We are doing a camping/riding trip later this month and numerous people will give their livers a workout in the evening. We’ll be sober during the ride.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top