Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2021 9:42:00 AM EDT
Recommendations or condemnations. I'm needing clear and sunglasses with progressive lenses.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Zenni.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried Zenni based on all the love people give them for my progressives and they suck. Chinese trash.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Zenni.
View Quote

Quoted:
I tried Zenni based on all the love people give them for my progressives and they suck. Chinese trash.
View Quote
Uh oh.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 6 regular pairs and 2 pairs of sunglasses from Zenni and they're all fine.  It's a pretty normal rx though, nothing crazy, no progressive lenses.  

They're cheap enough to stash a pair everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Zenni.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#6]
They are all going to be Chinese.

I have used Eyebuydirect. Prescription seems to be correct. Frames don’t last quite as long but for the price I can have multiple pairs and change them out anytime.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.

Go to Costco. They have really good prices and are much better quality.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I've gotten single vision glasses/sunglasses from glasses.com, framesdirect, and zenni and can't tell the difference between any of 'em.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife has recently used eyebuydirect.com a couple of times and is happy with them.  They have their own brand of frames in addition to name brand stuff.  She got a pair of progressives with blue light blocking, anti-glare coating, that transition in sunlight in their brand frames for ~$150 with a coupon (she says the coupons are easy to find).  One cool feature about their site that she likes is they have a selfie deal where you can see what the glasses look like on your face.

She has been able to get several pairs of Rx glasses (including sunglasses) from them for the cost of what a local place charged for a single pair.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I've worn the same $40 pair of glasses from Zenni for a few years now.  It's time for a new prescription, but the frames are fine.  It's great to buy 3 pair out of pocket for less than I'd pay for one pair at the optometrist WITH insurance.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Maui Jim
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought two pairs of progressives from zenni, one is sunglasses.  They are fine.  I'm pretty sensitive to prescription changes and I can tell a difference over the glasses from the optometrist when I first put them on, but only for a minute.  Of course, you can get that experience from two pairs of glasses from the optometrist as well.

I usually get a pair from the optometrist, wear them for a month to make sure the prescription is good, then buy a backup pair and sunglasses from zenni.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#13]
RXsafety.com

I got some progressive sunglasses from them.  Work out great, and WileyX frames, so you don't look like Poindexter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Uh oh.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zenni.

Quoted:
Uh oh.

I have the cheapest Zenni for sunglasses, back up glasses etc. they are fine for what they are and the optical quality is very good.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I have some glasses that I got in 2007 or so. I'm slightly nearsighted, and my right eye is a bit worse than my left. It's not so bad that I NEED glasses for driving or whatever, but I got glasses anyway.

Last year, I tried the glassesusa phone application that is supposed to be able to gauge your prescription by using your computer monitor and your phone's camera.

The results?  WAY OFF. WAAAAAAAAY off. Somehow the left lens came out stronger than the right, and the right lens was too strong as well.

Fast forward a bit, I'm having to use reading glasses for things up close. I got my eyes checked and got a formal script. I ordered a pair from glassesusa and they came out fine. The issue I had there was that they saw the old prescription from their app thing and halted production of my new glasses to ask me THREE FUCKING TIMES about the old prescription. It was an actual person emailing me about it. I had to tell them THREE FUCKING TIMES that the old prescription was irrelevant and to ignore it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#16]
We've used these guys a few times with great results. Both Rex and Rex sunglasses. Not the cheapest but they're ground in Colorado and have great cs.

https://www.replacealens.com/Default.asp
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Zenni.  With a few upgrades on the Zenni glasses, you'll be pretty upset at the substantial extra cost of Dr. Office glasses with less features.

About 11-14 days for delivery on two ocassions.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Best way to go. Went glasses.com and got 3 pairs for what 1 would cost at the optometrist and I didn't have to choose from only stupid expensive designer frames. I could get a frame I liked that didn't have a $200 price tag on it. I got close vision clear for normal day to day stuff, far vision clear for when I'm driving at night and a set of far vision sunglasses for driving during the day. Online has just as good of quality control as through your local optometrist's preferred vendor and might actually be the exact same vendor. What you don't get are the little things like frame adjustments made by someone that really knows how to adjust them for that perfect no-slip fit and the ability to look down your optometrist's assistant's blouse.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've gotten single vision glasses/sunglasses from glasses.com, framesdirect, and zenni and can't tell the difference between any of 'em.

View Quote

Damn, all those Male? Models look like fags, I couldn't even stand searching for glasses.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Bought single vision lens from Zenni and was happy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#21]
In.   About to order some from Oakley SI site.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Zenni Optical is good, Eyebuydirect is too.  I think the ones I got from eyebuydirect make me see better than zennis, but maybe I got a higher index lens than I usually do.  They just seem clearer.  

If you're going to get photochromic lenses I suggest paying the extra money for the fast version of transitions.  The regular photochromic lenses don't get dark enough or change fast enough for my liking.  Adds twice if not more to the price but may be worth it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Has anyone mentioned Zenni yet?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Zenni.
View Quote

My thoughts based on one purchase.

Clarity of lenses were really good.

Dimensions listed on webite for the frame was not accurate.

Progressive choice at end (close up, middle, far away) was confusing.  I ended up with a pair that are great for anything within 3 feet, but suck after that.  Felt the choices on the screen lacked some clarity as to how best to select.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Zenni.

They are lower quality sure, but they work just fine and are cheap enough that you can buy seven pair for the price of one pair at LensCrafters.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I agree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

Costco also has people who know how to measure the distance between your pupils. This is important to get the lens correctly in the frame. It is also impossible to do yourself.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I just use eyebuydirect and have had great success with them. If I were to buy my glasses retail, I would spend $750-1000 a pair due to my prescription. Bought my latest pair from EBD and it was $175 shipped
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought a pair of Rx sunglasses from Zenni and was happy with them.

My wife recently got a pair from Sams Club and the progressive were hard for her to use.

I saw an ad for the Varilux and told her to give them a try, she found some at 39dollarglasses.com and loves them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Stay away from Framesdirect.
Holy fuck they could not get a RX to save their fucking lives.  My sunglasses I ordered were several magnitudes wrong, wrong tint then sent me a replacement set of lenses untinted and broke both sets of frames.
Getting money back was a god damned nightmare until I contacted the Texas Ag.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Damn, all those Male? Models look like fags, I couldn't even stand searching for glasses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't really lookin' at the men, just buying sunglasses.

To each their own.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Zenni
Zenni
Zenni

I have been using Zenni since 2010.  

Costco is good also.  I bought one pair from them during that period.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had good results with Zenni.  Have used them twice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I do US standard issue. Always been great
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#35]
NO problems with Zenni for several years now (progressives w/weird scrip). Used replacealens in the past for old B&L frames I already had, and RXSafety for WileyX sunglasses for motorcycling. No issues with any of them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Can you get new glasses if you don't know what grade your old glasses are?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I recently purchased from EyeBuyDirect.  Oakley prescription and Ray Ban prescription sunglasses.  Would definitely do it again, a fraction of the price of going to a brick and mortar.  I think they are out of Tiawan.  I have also purchased from GlassesUSA.  Same deal, happy purchase.  It takes almost two weeks for the glasses to arrive.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#39]
These two have been great for me:
SportRX.com
OakleySI.com

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#40]
FPNI.

I have glasses, backup glasses, backup backup glasses, and prescription sunglasses all for the cost of something I'd get at a brick and mortar, after insurance.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I am a Zenni customer for quite a while.  My Rx's have all been for progressive lenses both in regular and sunglasses.  As mentioned with some extras the prices are substantially below what the optometrists charge.  I have not had any problems with their glasses.  The only advice is to make sure you have the correct PD as the optometrists don't like to write it on your RX.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#42]
eyebuydirect.com is my first choice followed by zenni.com. Haven't had  much luck or the real need for progressives.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I've had good luck with Zenni. My progressive glasses were $300 thru Walmart vision, $50 through Zenni.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Do any of these online places accept insurance ?

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Uh oh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zenni.

Quoted:
Uh oh.

I’ve had great results with Zenni the last 4 years.

LC
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
'
Do any of these online places accept insurance ?

View Quote

Pretty sure your insurance company will have to reimburse you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks, a lot of good suggestions here.  I'm gonna start at Costco, we're members and it's 5 minutes away.  I will get work glasses and some spares from Zenni.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thanks, a lot of good suggestions here.  I'm gonna start at Costco, we're members and it's 5 minutes away.  I will get work glasses and some spares from Zenni.  Thanks again.
View Quote

Sounds like a good plan.  Your Costco receipt will have your PD on it.  You will need that to order the glasses from Zenni.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you want to be or get progressive go to costco, Costco is a progressive company.

If you want a single clarifying lens to view the world through, I used kits.com to order a pair for a friend who was too lazy to get glasses and it was driving me bonkers. I think with first free pair it was $10 with shipping. Friend is enjoying the glasses. If I could do it again though I'd probably order the extra $10 or whatever to add blue light blocking as my friend looks at computer screens all day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top