Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It's HS what does it matter in the grand scheme of things?
Pass them, it could keep them out of prison.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 12th grade English teacher only passed me in her class so I could ship out for Navy Marine Corps Boot Camp instead of repeat the class.
View Quote

My junior and senior year, I worked a full time job at a gas station Monday through Friday, 4-10pm, Saturday noon-10pm.  

I failed Sophomore English and had to take it my Junior year.  I managed to fail both Sophomore AND Junior English that year.  I made them up in summer school, and joined the Delayed Entry Program for the Marine Corps - due to ship out June 20th the following year, provided I passed my Senior English class.  

I was due to graduate High School on the Thursday, the 14th of June, six days before I shipped.  Grades were due on the Thursday, the 7th of June. I walked in to English on the 7th, she had everyone's grades but mine.  Same on Friday, and again on Monday, the 11th.  

That night, I called my recruiter and told him I may not be able to go to boot camp because I probably failed English.  

On Tuesday, the 12th, two days prior to graduation, and less than a ten days before shipping out, I walked in to English as my recruiter walked out.  My teacher told me I passed with a D-.  

I went to boot camp, graduated, and spent 30 years and 10 days on active duty, retiring at the top of my field.  All because Mrs. Zebrowski was kind enough to give a poor kid a chance.  Had I not gone to boot camp on time, I likely would have not gone back to school.  

High school is not always a good predictor of success.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope.

Accountability must be enforced.

You'll be screwing so many people with the second order effects of passing shitbirds.

Gov/econ should be a hard and requisite class.

The irony of your question, when held up to the  current gov/econ shitshow, is worth taking note of.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Fail them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you have to use your judgement. I almost failed out of high school. Then I enlisted in the marines exempted my final exams and left before graduation. I did well in the corps as a grunt NCO and I now run two companies. But my teachers knew what was up with me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Are these students that ditched class excessively all semester, didn't do assignments, but could walk in on the last day of class and ace the final?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Your yes and no answers are a failure
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It never fails.

Teach high school seniors.

Many students didn’t show up or just did not do much work.

They failed.

I gave one last assignment to pas students who failed my class.

Class is required to graduate. Gov/Econ.

The essay was assigned on Monday, due today at 3pm sharp.

I’m getting excuses from students who turned in the “Hail Mary” assignment late and they’re almost done.

Many did not show for the final exam, nor showed up for the job interview.

I’m sick of the BS excuses.

View Quote

That is not being a slacker. Slackers, would've counted on you give them a final chance, and wouldve turned in a polished essay at 2:55 PM, and passed that class, despite doing jack shit all year.

No the people who didn't even take a final freebie, just don't give AF. So you shouldn't either.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was a HS slacker. Don't matter how many breaks you give them, how much extra time ect. Wont make a bit difference they ain't doing it anyway.
Hopefully in a year or two they will wise up and get their shit together. Some do and some never will.
View Quote

Are you me?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I struggled in school. Especially when I was young I had a speech issue early on even though I tested at a high IQ . Especially sucked at math. Went to college at university of Cincinnati. Had to take junior level calculus and made an A.  I went on to grad school and I think I had a 3.7 GPA. Did a year of post grad towards GDs most hated degree (Ed.D). Never went back and finished that degree..

Back before I left law enforcement,  my old captain was going to write a reference letter for my grad school application. The town manger pushed me to do the grad school program. He was a few years older.and I think tried to type up the letter but had no luck. He asked me to type up what he told me, and I somehow did good in that. Shortly before I graduated he came down with cancer and died not much later.

I couldn't attend graduation for the graduate program because I had to work a special event all that weekend. On the day I was supposed to graduate, I came to work and got called in to the Chiefs office and ended up with my first write up from my new shift supervisor. A few months later i came in to work facing another write up from the new shift supervisor. I remember my phone ringing for an email while t was getting chewed out. It wound out the phone dinging was en email from the post graduate program. I replied that I would enroll and left LE.i ended up with a pay raise and a take home vehicle.

Last I heard that new shift supervisor is still stuck on midnight shift. Thanks to my old Captain that pushed me to do more than I thought I could.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
In a world where google is at the very fingertips with all the answers to every question or issue? Fuck no. Let them learn the hard way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#12]
DO NOT allow them any extra chance to turn the work in for credit.    I slacked off majorly in high school.    My oldest daughter was doing the same shit for most of her school life, my exwife was always talking to the teachers and bailing our daughter out.    Kids need to learn consequences of not doing their work.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:44:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It never fails.

They failed.

I’m getting excuses from students who turned in the “Hail Mary” assignment late and they’re almost done.

View Quote

Add to the assignment and give them the lowest passing grade.  If they hope to goto college it may give the admissions pause.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It never fails.

They failed.

View Quote

Fail them.  If it was my kid that failed bc they were to lazy to bother; then that’s on them and I’d have no sympathy or remorse.  You are educating them in preparation for the real world — that’s the job; not enabling them to be lazy f’s.

Schools allowing students to have multiple retakes and/or turn stuff in whenever regardless of due dates are doing the students, their communities, and our country a huge disservice by conditioning them that that behavior is an acceptable way to approach life.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I understand the frustration, but that's literally taking a year of someone's life away if you fail them.
View Quote

Sounds like they already had a year to get it done.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I sucked at high school.  Everyone thought I was lazy.  I had a crap GPA. Turns out I just hated organized learning made to fit 5% of the population.

I am now a finance executive, make six figures and my net worth is in the millions.

I think school, assignments, essays, tests etc. are really stupid and do little to teach people anything about the real world.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Marines will appreciate this: “UA, burn ‘em”.

There are consequences for their actions in real life. Might as well learn now. No mercy. Hold them accountable.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Standards are the standards.  But......  Let's face it by the end of 10th grade most students have learned most of the life skills they will need in every day life.   High  School past that point is nothing more than a social experiment and education on how to interact with other human beings on a every day basis. College fine tunes skills needed for a career.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#19]
There are different types of slackers, and you won't be helping either of them if you accommodate them. Stick to whatever the rule is, and there will be some who work just hard enough to achieve their intended outcome, and there will be worthless losers.

If you accommodate them, the bright ones will spot you for a sucker and the worthless losers will gain more entitlement.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I remember the senior year Hail Mary exam all too well, and it got me through. By senior year, the only thing I really cared about in school was simply being done with it. From about eighth grade on, it was a living, breathing, soul-destroying hell, and the final year was the worst. One teacher actually seemed to give a shit, and came up with that exam for me. I think she understood where I was physically and mentally at that point. Our class was done on a Friday afternoon, and it was that morning that I found out I'd made it, having took the test the afternoon prior. It can work for some, even if they don't deserve it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I was a slacker. Just didn't care. Slackers these days probably don't care either.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There are different types of slackers, and you won't be helping either of them if you accommodate them. Stick to whatever the rule is, and there will be some who work just hard enough to achieve their intended outcome, and there will be worthless losers.

If you accommodate them, the bright ones will spot you for a sucker and the worthless losers will gain more entitlement.
View Quote

I'm a worthless loser, didn't even try to gain entitlement.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#23]
This thread has been very interesting. I think the slackers that did well enough in life to make it to this forum are likely the minority. Take that how you will, but I still think that a slacking senior deserves some help. I mean, chaising tail ain't easy...
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#24]
You gave them a last chance and they didn't take it, so they don't deserve to pass.  If you pass them then it's just another example of someone getting something for nothing.  What's the point of having standards if they aren't held to them?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Slacker checking in.

Kids peak at different times intellectually and motivationally speaking.  Don’t discourage the slackers as sometimes they just need a nudge.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I was a slacker, but I don’t think I even qualify to be in this thread.  How the hell do you get a 1.3 gpa?     I didn’t know it was possible.  

Thank God for the Military.  

OP, I’d probably bend the rules and send them on their way, If they had a good attitude or made an effort to fake one.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:43:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#28]
The best and smartest kids are the ones who figure out at an early age that public education is a pacification program targeted at crushing individualism and say to the system "Fuck you".

These smart kids refuse to participate in the game and recognize that their only hope and goal is to escape with their mind intact and functional. If they succeed, they then go out into the world and use their intellect and their moral compass to oppose authoritarianism at every level.

The world needs these few bright lights who rage against the conformity. Pass them on and let them go about their work in the world.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:49:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Like the story about getting the mule's attention, maybe failing the class will get theirs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:02:45 AM EDT
[#30]
There are always opportunities for education in the US. People are never truly fucked in this regard. If you fail HS, adult school has multiple ways to get your diploma or HS equivalency. Community colleges have no barriers to entry and are a great stepping stone to get into a 4-year university if your grades suck out of HS. If you do fail them, let them know they have those options available to them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#31]
High school slacker checking in

I don't have an opinion one way or the other. I left high school certain that I didn't graduate. I didn't do a senior project, failed most of my classes, and did not attend graduation. My younger sister was called into the office a few years later and they handed her my diploma to give to me. There's no way I earned it. My theory is, the school had a reputation for being a good school with a low dropout rate and they fudged their stats by graduating kids who didn't earn it.

Take a look at social media, there's all kinds of high school graduates that cannot communicate beyond a 5th grade level. I'm not convinced a diploma means a whole hell of a lot.

It's really hard to make a kid give a shit about school when they really just don't care. Incentives never worked on me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't know what to tell you about your kids. It sounds like they're fucked.

I was a classic techno slacker in high school. All I cared about was my computer classes - the classes paid for certification exams, so before I graduated I already had my CCNA and A+ certs and was working on getting my MCSE. Stayed up all night doing 90s hacker shit, usually up to 1-2AM and off to school by 7. Hated doing my homework, so I usually didn't. Always tested well in class, especially in my history and science classes.

It wasn't until senior year that the school counselor finally dropped the bomb on me: I had pulled too many failing grades and therefore too many missed credits to graduate. My only option was to do extracurricular work packets to earn extra credits to make the cut. Otherwise kid, you're back for a second senior year, or go get your GED. So I busted my ass for several months completing these very well defined objective-based projects that would earn me extra credits in the classes I had slacked the hardest on.

Seems ironic that a kid that was skipped ahead a grade almost didn't graduate, but... I made it out alive.

It sounds to me like even if your school has this kind of opportunity, they're not going to take it. Too bad. Let them fail.

I'm genuinely worried that this will be my daughter's path. She's only 5 but she shares the same disregard I had for teachers and authority figures of all types. My dad was the same way. Almost as if troublemaking is hereditary
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:10:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:19:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Nah let those lazy shitbags learn about consequences.
View Quote
FPNI, this is their last chance to learn that before the real world kicks them in the nuts.  Failing them will not be a popular choice, but it is the right choice, and the one that will serve them the best in the rest of their life.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:21:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would give them a midnight deadline/grace period for tomorrow.  See who stays home to get it done on a Saturday.

I understand the frustration, but that's literally taking a year of someone's life away if you fail them.
View Quote
He is not failing them, they are failing themselves.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:59:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's HS what does it matter in the grand scheme of things?
Pass them, it could keep them out of prison.
View Quote
If it does not matter in the grand scheme why does it matter that they pass?

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:09:07 AM EDT
[#37]
I was a school slacker. I was told that I never applied myself, I was told.  I hated school, it wasn't a stimulating environment.  Highschool was a bit better, as elective courses were allowed.  I didn't bloom until college as an adult, where I held a 3.85 GPA.  The coursework was very interesting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:42:06 AM EDT
[#38]
I failed econ senior year. Didn't do a single project or homework assignment all semester. I was the top score on nearly every test because I would take notes and pay attention. Teacher gave me a last chance essay so I could walk with my class. I did it and turned it in on time.

I vote fail them unless they smoked every tests and you know they know the subject. That is what the class is for after all.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Despite being in the most demanding classes I wasn't interested in learning, I preferred to cause trouble. It didn't go over well with the teachers. It worked out OK, I ended up making a lot of money after I started my own business. I wouldn't recommend my course of action, a college degree in the right fields are the best way to ensure success.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:01:18 AM EDT
[#40]
There isn’t much you can do about it when they are high school seniors.  The skills of doing assignments and completing them on time are learned at a very young age. Some research shows that being complaint at preschool age is one of the single most important success predictors in education. It is something they learn from their parents and it is based on social constructs of the family unit.

Those who engage in soft bigotry will try to shift blame as they did with the racist theory of “ White Privilege”.  Yes, being held accountable, understand the benefits of delayed gratification, and having meaningful goals and achievable objectives is important to success.

The students you are describing have not learned these skills and most likely won’t learn them in the next two weeks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I would give them a midnight deadline/grace period for tomorrow.  See who stays home to get it done on a Saturday.

View Quote

Social promotion is the problem. They have learned that they don’t have to produce to get through life.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#42]
No
Source: HS dropout
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Social promotion is the problem. They have learned that they don’t have to produce to get through life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder about the nature/nurture part of it too.

I have a niece that did well in high school, played sports, has always held some kind of a job, but outside of any of that is extremely lazy. Her parents are hard workers that never really spoiled their kids too much, but in my mind were a little bit lax on discipline (or rather, they handle discipline a little different than I do with my kids).

It's amazing how she can be productive and lazy at the exact same time.

He dad was giving her shit the other day because she is home for the summer now but has created a mountain of laundry and dishes already and asked her why she hasn't cleaned any of them.

"I just don't have enough time with my jobs, and the gym"

So I asked to see her screen time tracker on her phone.....5.5 hours a day. Surely you can shave like 30 minutes from that important screen time to put some laundry in the washing machine.....no time though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nah let those lazy shitbags learn about consequences.
View Quote

This.

"Slacking" is one thing.... Failing to complete minimum requirements is another thing entirely.

The whole point of being a slacker is to put forth the least possible amount of effort without failing to meet minimums.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#45]
People need to learn responsibility.  They will not get away with that in the real world.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#46]
No.  Fuck em.  I may have done the bare minimum in some classes but excelled in others.  I never expected teachers to give slackers a free pass.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Are you me?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was a HS slacker. Don't matter how many breaks you give them, how much extra time ect. Wont make a bit difference they ain't doing it anyway.
Hopefully in a year or two they will wise up and get their shit together. Some do and some never will.

Are you me?
Some of the best times of my life. None of it had anything to do with school though  
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Just because they Did not do thier job doesnt mean you should not do your job.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#50]
I taught public school for 30 years, mostly US History during their junior years, and Econ to seniors.  Both are required to graduate.
I have a Masters degree and 30 graduate hours above a Masters, and I freely admit that I slacked off in high school and the first 4 years of college, when chasing blonds, playing sports and drinking long neck Buds were my priorities.
My wake up call later in life, but it did come.  When I taught,  I threw no curves to the kids.  No pop quizzes, tests announced a week ahead of time, extra help available, worked taken a day late etc.  I still had kids come up to me and ask what they needed to make on the final to pass. It was mathematically impossible for 99% of these kids  to pass.
The last year I taught, the principal called me in and asked why some kids were failing second semester Econ.  I explained that, and showed proof of, poor/missing homework, failing test grades, or tests not made up.  The principal, who was bucking for superintendent told me that I need to "allow these students a chance to make up missed work and tests, and to allow retests, because they are just kids".
I told her that is where she was wrong.  They are young adults legally, and in a year they could be in Iraq or worse.  It was best for them to learn life lessons now.
She wasn't happy, but I was out the door shortly anyway.
A few weeks later, a staff member in the same school asked me to give her son a "B", because it would save them a lot of money in tuition costs.  I replied that I couldn't because of some failing test grades, including a 37 on the last major test that was returned to me signed by her.
I got no reply.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top