Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2021 9:02:00 AM EDT
I know most of Arf is millionaires that stay busy laying pipe in a hot wife and have rigs with paint that cost more than my truck..... but...... maybe there’s some down to earth shitbox connoisseurs lurking in the shadows?

My G500 ride.
Yes, it’s cheater class, but FL conditions are pretty gnarly to go without a Sirch & Rascue in the convoy. You tend to see more full sends when you’re piloting the plan B and have a good list of recovery options Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I think we have one of those or something very similar around Missouri...

Seems like I remember @gunguy148 and his boy telling me about the one they ran in here.  

If you have a vehicle for it, it sounds like a hoot..

4x4, extra gas, tow traps, Front and Rear Winches, a snatch block and tackle  and a few other things sound like a must have...

A form of comms other than Cell would seem useful too...

Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Seems like I remember @gunguy148 and his boy telling me about the one they ran in here.  

4x4, extra gas, tow traps, Front and Rear Winches, a snatch block and tackle  and a few other things sound like a must have...

View Quote

Yup, we did on in spring of '19 using the sidekick. It was a blast! Highly recommended redneck fun for all.

ETA: still rocking the sticker

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

A lot of what you’ll need will be dictated by your local conditions. A good local organizer will find routes/locations that you can have a good time beating a properly prepared FWD car. (Don’t underestimate them, especially if equipped with the ZFG package)

Around here, we’ll pop out on a hard road with enough frequency that copious gas supplies are not needed, but it’s still good to have in case you need to improvise a fuel tank or rip a line off the undercarriage and need to refill, or help someone else along the way.

Of course, tow straps are high on the list, but the bigger picture calls for a variety of attachment options. A short section of chain and hook to wrap around framework is good to have, since G500 recovery points are often sketchy AF, and a lot of casual off roaders don’t understand the forces at play. When the convenient points are ripped off, there’s always the option of rolling down the windows and pulling from the A pillars. It’s not unheard of to pull from the seatbelts as well

Since this is a navigational rally through some backwoods locations, off line mapping is a important tool. You’ll be given the waypoints list in the morning, and you’re on your own from there. Offline comms are a key element as well. We’re keeping CB alive, and the chatter is quite entertaining at times. Best to coordinate and see how your local group leans, as there is a push by some for more practical, modern RF options. “Get both” applies here.

It looks like MO is fairly well represented, with enough previous events to draw terrain expectations from; also looks like you have just enough time to outfit a suitable shitbox and get to Send It.
You have a little over a week to prepare, which is really a couple more weeks than you really need to have fun.

https://mogambler500.com

Pro tip: busted lower radiator parts (and other low hanging points) are a big fail point. Skid plates and brace up the lower radiator support is getting a step ahead of the game.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you have any more info on the FL 500?  I know what the Gambler is but I never knew we had one locally.

I'd love to build a rig for it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you have any more info on the FL 500?  I know what the Gambler is but I never knew we had one locally.

I'd love to build a rig for it.
View Quote

The G500 is typically mid April, central FL. (Ocala-ish)

We have a coast to coast run coming up next month.   (?1st weekend October?) Not really a full “off road” event, but we’ll cover some ground on trails and still employs the Gambler spirit. It would be a good intro to the crew. Camping arrangements are available Fri night prior to the run.  Ormond Beach —> Cedar Key

The following weekend there’s the 3rd Sink or Swim homemade raft challenge. Details are still being finalized, but looks to be a float down the Withlacoochee. Big fun if you can throw together some shit that floats.

Unfortunately there’s nothing official on the FL Gambler Minibike Madness scene right now, but there is a “mystery event” later in the year that I’m expecting will wind up being a minibike race.

We’re still working on developing the Mowverlander concept here, but there is interest.

Facebook seems to be the best way to keep tabs on the happenings, so grab yourself a fake name and see what’s up. Events should be on “public” settings, so you may be able to check the calendar without a sacrifice to Zuckerfuck. I got megabanned & cancelled, but came back with a fake exclusively to keep tabs on Gambler hijinks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#6]
My son and I ran the 2019 Tennessee , Georgia and Alabama Gambler events.  We won the Alabama event and got a bonus for sportsmanship for picking up Gibby at the Huntsville airport. We had a great time. we decided to be more gambler and found a nice Lincoln Town car that is now a single cab Bronco and equipped with Super Swampers and a lift.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Gunguy148 as posted above and I went to the one here in Missouri a week or so after this OP.

Aside from a few setbacks, we had a really good time and I'd like to do it again, next year if things work out.

One of my other buds just got a jeep and I'd like to see him and another of my buds join us and run the thing with us.

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gunguy148 as posted above and I went to the one here in Missouri a week or so after this OP.

Aside from a few setbacks, we had a really good time and I'd like to do it again, next year if things work out.

One of my other buds just got a jeep and I'd like to see him and another of my buds join us and run the thing with us.

View Quote

Let's make that happen.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Let's make that happen.

View Quote

I'll give Johnny and Tom a call...
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My son and I ran the 2019 Tennessee , Georgia and Alabama Gambler events.  We won the Alabama event and got a bonus for sportsmanship for picking up Gibby at the Huntsville airport. We had a great time. we decided to be more gambler and found a nice Lincoln Town car that is now a single cab Bronco and equipped with Super Swampers and a lift.
View Quote

Those TN folks are off the chain

I was up there for the inaugural Minibike Mayhem Chaos in the Quarry. Helluva course on a souped up hardtail with only rear drum brakes
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#11]
My son and I are committed to trying to make the Fl. Gambler in April . We should be bringing the 2021 Bronco( disclaimer* it is  a Lincoln Town car)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top