Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 10/16/2021 3:56:32 PM EDT
Big Apple event on Monday, 10/18/21.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/october-18-apple-event-what-to-expect/

There is a high probability (80%, IMO) that the MacBook Pro M1X will be uncorked.

Anybody planning on pulling the trigger on one?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I really want one, if the rumors are true they look like they'll be perfect for me.  But I have an Intel 16" and it does everything I need it to do.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup.

Desperately need it for my current work plans over the next few months.

Most of my anticipation is centered around final cut.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ll give it a few months to work out any bugs, then I’ll be on it like a fat kid on a Twinkie.

I love my 2019 15” MBP but the battery life has gone to 2 hours, and it’s a massive PITA to consider taking it in to get the battery replaced at the local Apple place.  A 16” with 12-16 hours of battery life would be heavenly.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
May finally be replacing all my Windows shit with Mac. 10 sucks and 11 looks like Microsoft is doubling down on the suckage by integrating all their other garbage that no one uses. Have a MPB and iPad Air for work which makes for a real clean UX... Something Microsoft appears to not care about outside XBox. Hate iOS but Mac is looking real good these days.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
May finally be replacing all my Windows shit with Mac. 10 sucks and 11 looks like Microsoft is doubling down on the suckage by integrating all their other garbage that no one uses. Have a MPB and iPad Air for work which makes for a real clean UX... Something Microsoft appears to not care about outside XBox. Hate iOS but Mac is looking real good these days.
View Quote

I’m currently switching 3 businesses to all Mac.  

It just plain works

75% of my workstations are going to be the Mac mini’s for the office
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to buy my GF one. I just bought a MBA M1 earlier this year, but I would really like a larger screen and more battery life. I don't get the greatest batt life and all I do is look at forums and the news, occasional video, no games or anything powerful. Also, I should have gotten the 16gig. I'll see if I like her's enough to take the depreciation hit.

I wish they would get rid of the sharp edges. I had to stone my MBA case below the keyboard/touchpad, fuck was sharp, got irritating if you were using it laying down.

eTA: If it has that notch like the article rumor points to, no way am I buying it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Wish I could justify it but my 13" MBP is only 15 months old.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#8]
My son plans to get one, but he's hoping it'll be free; he's a software developer for Apple. ;)
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ll give them a few months to work out the kinks, but my mid 2012 mbp 15 inch needs a new battery and is getting long in the tooth.  I hope they’re everything that’s been promised.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Got my wife a MBP 13" for Christmas this past year. As someone who hates iOS, I do love that laptop. I maybconsider a 16" for me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Want, but my 2015 MBP is still chugging along fine. Can't wander too far from an outlet though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I already have a 13” M1 MBP that I love, but work will probably get me a 16” M1X MBP if I ask. We need to get the kinks worked out for our Docker-based dev workflow and I’ll probably be the one they have deal with it before moving everyone over.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 7:12:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Won’t preorder but probably could use an upgrade. Youngest work machine is 7 years old. Going strong but speed is lacking.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't order the minute whatever is released is available on Monday.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I can't justify a new one, as I just got this 16" last(?) year?  But it looks as though Magsafe is back, as well as at least one regular USB-A port.  

Fuck you, Apple.  I'm stuck with having to use a goddamned dongle.  
View Quote

Magsafe back = Fail
USB-A back = Fail times infinity

Wtf are they thinking
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I don’t get computer hype.  My newest computer is ~6 years old.  PDF/excel/word/chrome haven’t changed in many moons.  

What do y’all do to need fancy new laptops?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

How long should one contemplate the purchase?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Magsafe back = Fail

Wtf are they thinking
View Quote
Why.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I am planning on ordering the latest and greatest. Almost bought in June but decided to wait for the fall release.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#25]
It'll be interesting to see what they come out with. I'm more interested in the Pixel 6 release on Tuesday.

BUT, I did get one of the new iPad Minis a couple weeks ago. I really like it. For me, for my uses, the size and form factor are pretty much perfect. I also got the new Pencil that works with it.

And of course.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magsafe back = Fail

Wtf are they thinking
Why.

1. I can charge my MBP with any quality USB-C cable and block, don't need a dedicated charger
2. I can connect my MBP to a monitor with a quality USB-C cable without the need for separate charging and video cables
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I will check it out for sure. I bet delivery will be delayed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I have an early 2013 15" MP Pro.  Runs fine, they just don't do updates anymore, since OS X El Capitan.  As other software continues to get updates, the old machines become less and less compatible.  So no telling when SW age will become a problem.  Don't feel like buying a new one just for surfing internet and email and such.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don’t get computer hype.  My newest computer is ~6 years old.  PDF/excel/word/chrome haven’t changed in many moons.  

What do y’all do to need fancy new laptops?
View Quote

No offense, but take a step outside of yourself. You might be a lower power user but lot of people use powerful apps on computers for things that push their envelope. Graphics intensive apps.

Rock on if you can use a computer from many moons ago. Mine is 7 or so years old and holding it’s own pretty well in graphics processing intensive tasks, but I wouldn’t mind a bit more speed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apple Engineer Talks About New 2016 Macbook Pro
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
It'll all make sense soon
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have an early 2013 15" MP Pro.  Runs fine, they just don't do updates anymore, since OS X El Capitan.  As other software continues to get updates, the old machines become less and less compatible.  So no telling when SW age will become a problem.  Don't feel like buying a new one just for surfing internet and email and such.
View Quote

I have a mid 2012 mbp running macOS 10.15.7 Catalina.  Why aren’t you able to update?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

1. I can charge my MBP with any quality USB-C cable and block, don't need a dedicated charger
2. I can connect my MBP to a monitor with a quality USB-C cable without the need for separate charging and video cables
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magsafe back = Fail

Wtf are they thinking
Why.

What if Apple let the USB-C ports charge the laptop in addition to the MagSafe?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Fuck no. Apple hype is all bullshit. And I have owned multiples of their products, and currently own a current generation iPad air. They do certain things well, but man are they proud of their shit, and they go to GREAT LENGTHS to make stuff non-serviceable these days, and actively fight right-to-repair.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I am running a late 2009 MBP now.  It’s old as fuck.  Still runs, sort of.

Why all the MagSafe hate?

What’s this I hear about a notch?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have my attention.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I am running a late 2009 MBP now.  It’s old as fuck.  Still runs, sort of.

Why all the MagSafe hate?

What’s this I hear about a notch?
View Quote

Allegedly they pushed the screen bezel to the edge, and the notch is the webcam.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I will be ordering one as soon as the store reopens.  My 2010 MBP is still in great shape, but is kinda slow….I hope the next one will last just as long.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Fuck no. Apple hype is all bullshit. And I have owned multiples of their products, and currently own a current generation iPad air. They do certain things well, but man are they proud of their shit, and they go to GREAT LENGTHS to make stuff non-serviceable these days, and actively fight right-to-repair.
View Quote

I hate all Apple products!!!! Goes and buys an IPad.  I still hate all Apple products!!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I hate all Apple products!!!! Goes and buys an IPad.  I still hate all Apple products!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“And I need the world to know it!!!!”
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You have my attention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have my attention.
Just keep a lookout for a thread in GD soon
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have a mid 2012 mbp running macOS 10.15.7 Catalina.  Why aren’t you able to update?
View Quote

I'm at 10.11.6 El Cap.  When I click on SW update, it says none available.  So it appears apple is limiting my update on this model.  Interesting you were able to get a newer update on an older machine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I have no need for one, but I want it anyway.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have my attention.

I don’t know if I’ve ever said this, but why can’t it be Monday already?
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#45]
I cant wait for all the reviewers making this face..

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm certainly considering it.  My current MBP is a little over 7 years old. considering, but no where near committed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Magsafe back = Fail

Wtf are they thinking
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't justify a new one, as I just got this 16" last(?) year?  But it looks as though Magsafe is back, as well as at least one regular USB-A port.  

Magsafe back = Fail

Wtf are they thinking

Magsafe is awesome.

Usb-a not so much
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:20:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm at 10.11.6 El Cap.  When I click on SW update, it says none available.  So it appears apple is limiting my update on this model.  Interesting you were able to get a newer update on an older machine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should be able to find instructions for downloading and installing the entire Catalina OS at this link:

How to get old versions of macOS

The latest is Big Sur, but it says it needs late 2013 hardware.  You said you have early 2013 hardware, so I don't think it will work.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Magsafe is awesome.

Usb-a not so much
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magsafe back = Fail

Wtf are they thinking

Magsafe is awesome.

Usb-a not so much

A lot of things are using USB-A because the connector is more robust than USB-C.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Man, I just got a MacBook Pro and really like this new style and stats. I'm assuming I'll be able to trade up and get decent credit for a brand new machine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top