Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2017 12:56:00 PM EDT
Deployment experience might be helpful, but I'm going over as a contractor (not armed). I've searched reddit for some useful information, done cost of living comparisons, and so on, but you guys are more...."my people".

If this thread would be better in a different section, please let me know and I'll get it moved.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
i lived/worked in Abu Dhabi for 9 months on a contract doing some stuff for their .mil.   It's a pretty nice place to live and work for middle eastern country.  Just for example, i am Catholic--was able to go to Mass (with about 10,000 of my closest Indian and Filipino friends) each weekend.  Emirate leadership allows all other major western faiths to be represented as well.  Regular stuff in shopping markets--they tend to be English in nature--and there is a "non-Muslim" section in most where you can get regular bacon, sausage, and (for some odd reason) Pop Tarts (which apparently do not pass the Imam standard for regular distro).  Awesome Malls. In fact that's what most Emirate's do in time off which is to go to Malls.  Incredible shops and good people watching.  Great movie theaters with first edition releases.  Tremendously great restaurants.  If you want to snow ski you can go up Dubai for the day.

Housing is expensive.  Hopefully whatever contract you're working on covers it.  Eating out at all those nice restaurants--those are expensive too. If your apartment has even the most basic kitchen you can save a ton of money by buying groceries over the weekend and cooking your own meals in house. There are very low key Class Six stores--ostensibly you're supposed to have a govt issued license to buy booze but when you go up to the counter and the cashier (inevitably Indian or Filipino) asks for your govt ID you just say "I am so sorry--i seem to have forgotten it today--may i pay cash this time?"   Worked for me for 9 months.  Don't be a ass.  Don't drink in public.  Don't make out with hot Ukrainian hookers (available in most major hotel bars) in public.  If the building or govt complex has a sign that says "don't take pictures of this installation"  Here's a fucking clue--don't take pictures of that building or installation.  

I'm not going to say much about working for the military cause they're very touchy about that and i might go back some day.  Good folks to work for in general and they hire a lot of real good folks from our .mil and AUS/Brit.  i worked on the Presidential Guard compound in Abu Dhabi and it had the best gym in the Emirates.  There were some good gyms (Golds in one of the major malls nearby) but this gym was the shiznitz--until we got kicked out cause one of our team acted the ass. :-(   then i paid about $45 a month to join the gym at the top of a neighboring sky rise that was not nearly as good.

They take their security seriously so you got to play by their rules when in their world.  Having said that--you can't get shit for internet as it's all blocked at the surface level.  However, a basic VPN and BAM!  Bob's your Uncle, you're in to Netflix, Amazon Video, and the works.  Odd that?   On the other hand i've seen cases where someone says something derogatory towards the Emirates or the ruling family on FB and BAM! the next thing ya know the police are knocking on the door.  Their country--their rules.  

Pretty safe place to live and work on the whole if you don't act the fool.

/r
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, excellent, thanks for the tips!

So far, so good. I'll probably be visiting some of the places you and your compadres worked as part of my duties.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I've spent a year total there between two deployments.  I got downtown at least 1-2x a week, so I do have some experience in the area, outside of base.  It's nice, I'd work there as a contractor.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:30:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Very cool, thanks for sharing Chairborne.

By the way, anyone working in defense (whether manufacturing, services, or something else I hadn't considered)...feel free to hit me up. I'm working for a small outfit and we will be looking for new business in the coming months. If you aren't doing work/sending product over here as of yet, my company might be able to help you get into the market (it really depends on what the customer wants).

To clarify: we don't need a lot of gun bunnies. More like A&P mechanics, pilots, technicians (BMD, ADA, FDC, CRAM and the like), and IT (of course). And we'd rather work with businesses than individuals, though I wouldn't mind shopping resumes around if it could help anyone out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:34:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GTLandser:
Very cool, thanks for sharing Chairborne.

By the way, anyone working in defense (whether manufacturing, services, or something else I hadn't considered)...feel free to hit me up. I'm working for a small outfit and we will be looking for new business in the coming months. If you aren't doing work/sending product over here as of yet, my company might be able to help you get into the market (it really depends on what the customer wants).

To clarify: we don't need a lot of gun bunnies. More like A&P mechanics, pilots, technicians (BMD, ADA, FDC, CRAM and the like), and IT (of course). And we'd rather work with businesses than individuals, though I wouldn't mind shopping resumes around if it could help anyone out.
View Quote

Sadly I won't be retired and available for another year.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Keep your options open, and make sure your "rolodex" is thick, that can be even more useful than any skill or certification. no shortage of work over here. Fixed wing I assume?

Foreign income tax exclusion goes a looooong way.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:
Keep your options open, and make sure your "rolodex" is thick, that can be even more useful than any skill or certification. no shortage of work over here. Fixed wing I assume?

Foreign income tax exclusion goes a looooong way.
View Quote
Fixed and rotary, but yeah I'll be looking into options next fall...
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, looks like the gravy train is over. I'll need to find something else by June 1.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a friend that moved there to fix whirlie birds after he left 160th, I'll ask him about it.  From the Facebook posts, his wife and kids love it there too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:41:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Zack3g:
kpel308 works in saudi. Not exactly UAE, but I am fairly confident he's made a few stops there at a minimum.

A mention might draw him forth with some information about the region anyway. He knows that neighborhood pretty well.

@kpel308
View Quote
Gents, I have an offer to work in Saudi, could use some good gouge...

Dean
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top