Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2019 9:07:54 PM EDT
Set these two up yesterday, filled the one on the left with a blonde ale today.  Right will have a red ale next Saturday.

Link Posted: 5/14/2019 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Dang, that's an expensive setup!

But yeah, I use SS Brewtech conicals. I have 2 of the 7 gallons and 1 of the 3.5 gal. I want more.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice. Been thinking about it, then I was concerned about temp control and fitting it in one of my refrigerators but I see you have that covered.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dang, that's an expensive setup!

But yeah, I use SS Brewtech conicals. I have 2 of the 7 gallons and 1 of the 3.5 gal. I want more.
View Quote
These things are pretty awesome.  Now I need to set up the half barrel.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Half barrel is set up
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow. That is a sweet set up. I use buckets. Sometimes plastic carboys.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Temperature control is nice
Being able to cold crash is even nicer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont have anything that fancy
I do have one of the SSBrewtech Brewbuckets though
Been pretty pleased with it
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been thinking about getting one of the Fast Ferment plastic conicals:

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

You can get a bracket to mount them to your wall.  I was thinking of mounting them to my basement wall, close the the window.  I could run a hose in through the window on brew day and drain my kettle straight into the conical.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Conicals are great! I use a Spike .5bbl unitank

Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about getting one of the Fast Ferment plastic conicals:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00OEDYUZ0You can get a bracket to mount them to your wall.  I was thinking of mounting them to my basement wall, close the the window.  I could run a hose in through the window on brew day and drain my kettle straight into the conical.
View Quote
I would recommend a Brew Bucket for a little more money. There's a lot of drawbacks to the fast ferment.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Spikes, live in NV as well and that setup is HOT! So, how hot (temp) wise does your garage get? Can you still brew in there right now? I have the Spikes system and need to get a cooling pump and build it but was not sure about running it here without a basement.
Link Posted: 8/2/2019 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use Spikes, live in NV as well and that setup is HOT! So, how hot (temp) wise does your garage get? Can you still brew in there right now? I have the Spikes system and need to get a cooling pump and build it but was not sure about running it here without a basement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If I keep the garage door shut all day it will stay in the low to mid 90's during the heat of the day.

The garage door faces north and the west wall is fully insulated so that helps.

The glycol chiller does put off quite a bit of heat.

I brew in my driveway early in the morning this time of year.  Usually laying fire to the kettle around 0430 and wrapped up just after 0800.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I keep the garage door shut all day it will stay in the low to mid 90's during the heat of the day.

I brew in my driveway early in the morning this time of year.  Usually laying fire to the kettle around 0430 and wrapped up just after 0800.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cannot find where SS has published the temperature pull down for that setup, is it 25 degrees below ambient, etc. Thanks for the reply by the way!
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I cannot find where SS has published the temperature pull down for that setup, is it 25 degrees below ambient, etc. Thanks for the reply by the way!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure if my rambling will answer your question or not.

I've had no issues cooling wort from 100 degrees down to 67 degrees in the 7 gallon fermenters.  It usually takes about 20 minutes to get down to pitching temperature.

The half barrel I'll let set until the next morning and then pitch the yeast.

Cold crashing goes pretty quick as well.  The 7 gallon will go from 67 degrees down to 36 degress in about an hour.  Half barrel takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to get there.

I haven't had to chill wort or cold crash multiple vessels at the same time yet.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#15]

After 7 half barrel brew days I've decided to stick with 5 gallon batches.

Just set up the first unitank.

I'm going to fill it tomorrow with a New England IPA.

In the left conical is a Czech pilsner.  In the right conical is a smash using floor malted Maris otter and rakau hops with imperial yeast A24.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top