Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/30/2022 1:50:43 PM EDT
I’m looking at getting 6 capacitors replaced in a transmission control module. Its a grey market car so the only to get one is ordering it from overseas.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics please. Your best bet is to find the old style TV shop that repairs intercoms and stuff like that. If you walk in and shit is piled everywhere, you found the right repair shop.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
These custom caps or can you spec them out and buy them on Mouser?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Digikey is also an excellent supplier.

How do you know it is just the capacitors? Internet wisdom?

Anyone with a good soldering iron (not the kind you buy at parts store) can fix it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#4]
What are the specs?
Do it yourself. I watched this video and then recapped a marantz stereo. It's easy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe ebay. Then find a local tv repair shop
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#6]
There's no guarantee that it's going to work after the repair. You could try searching ebay for the entire PCB instead as that has a higher chance of working.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a lot of boards, drives, encoders, etc repaired for machinery.  I send them to Paragon Technologies.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anyone with a good soldering iron (not the kind you buy at parts store) can fix it.
View Quote

I suck at soldering circuit boards. Its a known problem. It was working fine in california. Transporter dropped it off here in the cold and trans is in limp mode. There is no way to get a new one here in the us. Even a used one is expensive and theres no guarantee its going to work. I don’t have it off yet but its common capacitors from what I’ve read.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you have the part numbers/specs for the caps?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you have the part numbers/specs for the caps?
View Quote

I don’t have it off yet. Its super windy and cold right now, but I’ll remove it tomorrow for sure. Do you know how to do it?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]
It needs
22F35V: qty of 2
10 F16V: qty of 2
22 F16V: qty of 1
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Most likely the "F" is microfarad. Those value capacitors are common and should be easy to buy replacements. If they are really Farads, they are huge.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Shoot me a PM.  I'm willing to try, if it works you can pay an hour of my shop time, if it doesn't...  welll at least we tried.

I've done this sort of thing before. Many times.  And a grey market truck I own is going to auction soon, so I know those feels about having to fix things myself.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Shoot me a PM.  I'm willing to try, if it works you can pay an hour of my shop time, if it doesn't...  welll at least we tried.

I've done this sort of thing before. Many times.  And a grey market truck I own is going to auction soon, so I know those feels about having to fix things myself.
View Quote

Any chance of you making a thread about the repair if the OP takes you up on it?

I'm trying to get better at soldering and electronics in general.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pm coming your way.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Any chance of you making a thread about the repair if the OP takes you up on it?

I'm trying to get better at soldering and electronics in general.
View Quote

I'll just post the process in here. Main thing, as with most repair work, is having the right tools. When doing boards you need a solder sucker. Heat contact to melt solder, pull away solder. Repeat for other contact. Gently slide cap out. Insert new, solder CAREFULLY and on to the next one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been trying to use the copper braid stuff to desolder. Sometimes it seems to work ok, other times it doesn't want to wick up the solder.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've been trying to use the copper braid stuff to desolder. Sometimes it seems to work ok, other times it doesn't want to wick up the solder.

Thanks!
View Quote

I had an opportunity to use one of these once.  Can't justify buying one for myself as I don't do near enough electronics work.  No better way.  Pretty much zero chance of lifting traces.
Desoldering tool
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

Coat the braid in liquid flux before hitting it with the iron.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I had an opportunity to use one of these once.  Can't justify buying one for myself as I don't do near enough electronics work.  No better way.  Pretty much zero chance of lifting traces.
Desoldering tool
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Desoldering tool

I have one as does @Goodn, I think. They are great for through hole components. For SMD, you'll want a hot air station..........
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's always capacitors in this forum.  No thought to troubleshooting.

JB Weld could make a fortune here with epoxy labeled "fixes electronics".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOl, yeah. Electrolytics are always suspect though, especially if in a warmer enviornment.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It almost always is.   A 1¢ capacitor works almost as good as a 8¢ capacitor, just for not as long and definitely not in heavy load/heat situations.   Chinese can make US Dollars that look and test as real as Bank issued bills.  They can easily screen print "Nichinon 22 35V" on a cap that barely passed QC and tell the company they have building say "Yes, all real Nichinon caps, look inside!".  No find out with out disassembling and pretty expensive testing.   It turns on, sell it.  

If you want more reliable, don't buy a $300 TV.  Stick with the higher end of well known brands which have a reputation to protect, well, to protect as long as the warranty lasts, anyway.    If you have a display last 3 years today, it's on it's last legs if it's a no-name, meanwhile 15 year old displays still work fine, new shit just has cheapest components possible and the capacitors are what fail 99% of the time, that last 1% is the capacitors failing and taking out some transistors or control processor.

That's why "It's always the caps".   Especially when you look at them and they have crap oozing out of them and are bulged, tilted at a 40° angle from the board.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It almost always is.   A 1¢ capacitor works almost as good as a 8¢ capacitor, just for not as long and definitely not in heavy load/heat situations.   Chinese can make US Dollars that look and test as real as Bank issued bills.  They can easily screen print "Nichinon 22 35V" on a cap that barely passed QC and tell the company they have building say "Yes, all real Nichinon caps, look inside!".  No find out with out disassembling and pretty expensive testing.   It turns on, sell it.  

If you want more reliable, don't buy a $300 TV.  Stick with the higher end of well known brands which have a reputation to protect, well, to protect as long as the warranty lasts, anyway.    If you have a display last 3 years today, it's on it's last legs if it's a no-name, meanwhile 15 year old displays still work fine, new shit just has cheapest components possible and the capacitors are what fail 99% of the time, that last 1% is the capacitors failing and taking out some transistors or control processor.

That's why "It's always the caps".   Especially when you look at them and they have crap oozing out of them and are bulged, tilted at a 40° angle from the board.

Yep. Many times a semi-conductor will fail becase a de-coupling cap in it's line developes a bad ESR. For folks that don't know, when an electrolytic cap starts to dry out, it can test "good", as far as it's capacitance rating goes, but it may also be behaving like a resistor. No way to tell without a proper ESR (equivilant series resistance) tester. When it starts passing any appreciable amount of current along the base, or gate of a transistor, (as Brass mentioned), the transistor will often die. You may say "hay, I've got a bad transistor" and just replace it, only to find it fails too after a few hours. In all reality, it is the capacitor that is causing the issue. Caps don't always have to be bulging/oozing to be bad..........
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I suck at soldering circuit boards. Its a known problem. It was working fine in california. Transporter dropped it off here in the cold and trans is in limp mode. There is no way to get a new one here in the us. Even a used one is expensive and theres no guarantee its going to work. I don't have it off yet but its common capacitors from what I've read.
View Quote
Ain't nobody got time fo Dat..... If it rolls on rubber tires: Drop an LS engine in it- Boom, fixed.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ain't nobody got time fo Dat..... If it rolls on rubber tires: Drop an LS engine in it- Boom, fixed.
View Quote

I'm not against that ...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Grey market car with an auto transmission?
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pics please. Your best bet is to find the old style TV shop that repairs intercoms and stuff like that. If you walk in and shit is piled everywhere, you found the right repair shop.
View Quote

Dying breed.
The last one of those around here closed twenty years ago.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:44:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ll post pics of it tomorrow. No way an ls motor fits. Its got a 660cc engine in there now with a turbo the size of a donut. Its pretty hilarious. Pics also don’t show the true size of it. Think of it as a razr you can drive on the street and the razr might be a little bigger. If it warms up some in the next few days, I’m gonna throw my lift springs on there and my A/T tires.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#35]
And I do have an ls motor, its just going into my 2nd gen camaro.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Grey market car with an auto transmission?
View Quote

I’ve got another grey market car thats getting a k24 with a 6 speed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Heres a pic of my board since the pic someone sent me wasn’t very good.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I was blowing out the plastic pieces and I broke this wire.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Good luck getting anything out with that potting crap around it.......

maybe those caps didn't get it too bad?

looks like you've got a broken flying lead aslo..........
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Dealer wanted $1,300 to replace and calibrate the K-H ABS module on our old Chevy Trailblazer. I pulled it off the frame, took it apart and re soldered the 21 broken contacts where the solenoids were attached to the rinky dink way too thin for the design circuit board. Resealed, reinstalled and cleared the codes. Fixed.

I watched both youtube vids on the procedure beforehand.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Dying breed.
The last one of those around here closed twenty years ago.
View Quote

Can confirm. I've been looking for someone to solder a new HDMI port onto a Xbox console that doesn't charge $100+ in addition to shipping both ways for like a year.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Can confirm. I've been looking for someone to solder a new HDMI port onto a Xbox console that doesn't charge $100+ in addition to shipping both ways for like a year.
View Quote

Super easy.  Desolder old port.  Clean the contacts.  Flux and add solder to the contacts.  Solder in the new port only on the mounts.  Flux the pins, "brush" the iron across the pins.  Done.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Uhhh.  What the hell were you blowing it out with??

Get some 32 gauge magnet wire or wire wrapping wire (wire wrap has actual sheath insulation instead of just the enamel paint magnet wire uses).  It could make a new jumper easy.

You'll Need to be very delicate to try and cut out the potting around the capacitors since at least one of their contacts is under it - WITHOUT cutting a trace or another jumper.  If you try to pull the black vibration damping potting off entirely, entire traces of the board and components will come up with it.   That's their way of saying "We really mean it this time" when you open a "no user serviceable parts inside" box.   It's actually to keep vibration from shaking bits with mass (large capacitors) off of the board, the little tiny resistors and wires don't move energy around like the more "heavy" as in mass parts do, vibration in cars kills a ton of stuff if not protected by several defense layers against temp/vibration/moisture/etc.

I'd suggest sending it to somebody that can deal with the potting compound, SMD and repair the jumper, then re-add epoxy to hold new caps in place.  Things inside are quite delicate.

--ETA:  Normally, with bad caps at least one sits a little crooked or has a bulge or a leak of some gunk but those all look fine, that doesn't mean they're good, there's only those and the PLCC without socket looking chip that you can replace to attempt a repair anyway, and I doubt you'll get a programmed replacement chip if you can't get OEM board at all.

View Quote

Greyghost wanted a pic and Iont had a cutting wheel to cut it open. There was a lot of plastic debris in there. I blew it out with our shop compress and blow gun. Its powerful.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Uhhh.  What the hell were you blowing it out with??

Get some 32 gauge magnet wire or wire wrapping wire (wire wrap has actual sheath insulation instead of just the enamel paint magnet wire uses).  It could make a new jumper easy.

You'll Need to be very delicate to try and cut out the potting around the capacitors since at least one of their contacts is under it - WITHOUT cutting a trace or another jumper.  If you try to pull the black vibration damping potting off entirely, entire traces of the board and components will come up with it.   That's their way of saying "We really mean it this time" when you open a "no user serviceable parts inside" box.   It's actually to keep vibration from shaking bits with mass (large capacitors) off of the board, the little tiny resistors and wires don't move energy around like the more "heavy" as in mass parts do, vibration in cars kills a ton of stuff if not protected by several defense layers against temp/vibration/moisture/etc.

I'd suggest sending it to somebody that can deal with the potting compound, SMD and repair the jumper, then re-add epoxy to hold new caps in place.  Things inside are quite delicate.

--ETA:  Normally, with bad caps at least one sits a little crooked or has a bulge or a leak of some gunk but those all look fine, that doesn't mean they're good, there's only those and the PLCC without socket looking chip that you can replace to attempt a repair anyway, and I doubt you'll get a programmed replacement chip if you can't get OEM board at all.

View Quote

Greyghost wanted a pic and I only had a cutting wheel to cut it open. There was a lot of plastic debris in there. I blew it out with our shop compress and blow gun. Its powerful.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have one as does @Goodn, I think. They are great for through hole components. For SMD, you'll want a hot air station..........
View Quote

I do SMD with a fine tip iron. It sucks but works. I semi regularly end up replacing drivers and such on boards that haven't been made in a decade or better. Got a hot air station but no idea how to use it.

Solder wick and a solder sucker are your best friends when replacing components.

OP should get a manual tranny which won't have PCB issues.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I do SMD with a fine tip iron. It sucks but works. I semi regularly end up replacing drivers and such on boards that haven't been made in a decade or better. Got a hot air station but no idea how to use it.

Solder wick and a solder sucker are your best friends when replacing components.

OP should get a manual tranny which won't have PCB issues.
View Quote

YouTube is your friend. Watch some Louis Rossmann or Paul Daniels stuff. They do a lot of board repair with hot air
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Super easy.  Desolder old port.  Clean the contacts.  Flux and add solder to the contacts.  Solder in the new port only on the mounts.  Flux the pins, "brush" the iron across the pins.  Done.
View Quote

I wish. My eyes are pretty far gone.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top