Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2018 1:33:00 PM EDT
To start this off I need a good smashable beer for summer so I can get back to trying and perfect my dubbel recipe.

I had a fuck up during a mash with a Belgian dubbel and ended up with a lower OG than I wanted . Also messed up the fermentation due to no temp control at the time and it fermented way to low at about 60 .

Well I was drinking the dubbel just to get rid of it and realized wow , the mouth feel feels like a great lager or a kolsch and the flavor was subdued and it hit me , if I used a kolsch yeast with this recipe and substitute the dark candy sugar with white sugar and bump up the ibu’s just a tad this could be a great lager / kolsch style beer. Not a true kolsch or lager but more of what I would assume would be a Budweiser with more body and a hop kick .

Has anyone here brewed a pale ale with sugar ? Is my thought process screwed up ?

Here’s what I’m thinking for a 15 gallon batch

25 pounds Belgian Pilsner
6 pounds ( 20 percent ) table sugar

Mash at 156 for a fuller mouth feel
Sparge at 170

Add 5 gallons of water into the kettle on top of the wort for a OG of 1.050 ( according to my efficiency and the dilution calculator on brewers friend)

90 min boil

Use magnum to bitter to 20 IBU at 60 min

use Saaz at 15 min for another 10 IBU for a total of 30

Add Irish moss at 15 min

Chill to 58 degrees and pitch WLP029 and set fermentation temp of the wort to 62-63 degrees

Ferment for 2 weeks and then raise temp to 70 to clear up off flavors

Transfer to kegs

Lager for 2-4 weeks while sitting at 15 PSI to get ready to serve.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or made a similar recipe?
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Might I make a suggestion?

Go to the Brewers Best website and look at their recipe for American light. It'5 gallons, but you can double it.  The recipe uses sugar and rice solids.  Using an online converter covert the LME amount to your malt. Note the IBUs and adjust yours accordingly.

This is a good kit and I brew it frequently.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've never used sugar.

If you want a good lawnmower beer you want to keep the alcohol level lower along with the IBU's. You could add some rice or corn, mash @149-150 and it will dry the beer out without being too thin. Shoot for about 4-5% ABV max and keep the IBU around 20 or less.  Noble hops work well and you could even dry hop for some aroma

You're kind of going in two different directions with the sugar, ABV and mash temps.
View Quote
Ok , I’ll cut out the sugar and mash at 146 or so . In my mind it all sounded correct but I’m still new to all this . The sugar as an addition was to go from 10 to 15 gallons as I was thinking mo beer mo better

I’ll just stick with 10 gallons and I’ll follow your advice .
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Will do , that looks good . I’ll make sure I brew that sometime this summer . Maybe next week if I can .

I can lagger , what yeast are you using ? I’ll just clone your recipe and get back with you .
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top