BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 5/29/2016 4:11:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep
Did a IPA on Saturday, its fermenting away nicely, should be ready to drink in another 3-4 weeks
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Going to be bottling my first batch from my LBK!
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Mutts Nuts brown porter from NB.

With a couple changes, like 1/4 lb coffee malt added to the steep.

I hate waiting weeks to find out if I screwed up 5 gallons of beer.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mutts Nuts brown porter from NB.

With a couple changes, like 1/4 lb coffee malt added to the steep.

I hate waiting weeks to find out if I screwed up 5 gallons of beer.  
View Quote

RDWHAHB
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I've upped my game! Brewing Northern Brewers Cream Ale tonight.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#6]
been a couple months since my last brew so Ive been slacking... but on Sunday I finally brewed the batch of NB grapefruit pulpin that I've had around. should be pretty nice, I'm looking forward to it.

hops in the boil were (all but .5oz of chinook was late addition)
2oz chinook
1ox cascade
1oz amarillo

dry hops to come are
1oz simcoe
1oz cascade
2oz dried grapefruit peel
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Bottledtwo batches today. A BB American cream ale, and BB robst porter, with added whiskey barrel chips.

Tomrrow, I'm brewing a Texas Blond, mini mash, recipe fromBarley and Hops, .com   .
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I brewed a monster IPA on Saturday.

Partial Mash
7 lbs Pilsner LME
2.5 lb Marris Otter
0.75 lbs Malted White Wheat
0.5 lbs flaked barley
0.5 lbs flaked oats
0.25 lbs honey malt

WYEAST 1318

0.75 ounces Warrior 17.0% AA (60 min addition)
8 ounces Mosaic 12.4 AA
4 ounces El Dorado 14.9 AA
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Today was another mini mash. African Amber, by Barleyandhops.c om.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Todaywas Brewer's Best Mexican cervesa.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Turning Grain into Gold Saturday.  I'm only two months late for the summer here in Texas but I'm mixing up a 10 gallon batch of my infamous  Big TD's - Watermelon Wheat.  If your in the Corpus Christi area stop by for a draft or ten.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Turning Grain into Gold Saturday.  I'm only two months late for the summer here in Texas but I'm mixing up a 10 gallon batch of my infamous  Big TD's - Watermelon Wheat.  If your in the Corpus Christi area stop by for a draft or ten.
View Quote

That sounds very good. I have searched but can't find a recipe by that name. Where might  I find it?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That sounds very good. I have searched but can't find a recipe by that name. Where might  I find it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You haven't found it because it's mine!  But you can have it.

Infamous Big TD's - Watermelon Wheat
All Grain 11 gallons
ABV 5.47%
IBUs 18.7
SRM 3.6
Est OG 1.053 Est FG 1.011

Grain bill:
10# Pilsner (2 row) German
8# White Wheat Malt
1# Cara-pils/Dextrine

Hops:
.5 oz Magnum 60 min (bittering)
.5 oz Magnum 15 min (aroma)
.5 oz Magnum 5 min (aroma)

Fruit:
12 cups fresh watermelon juice.

Yeast:
American hefeweizen Ale  WLP320

single infusion Mash:
Mash at 154F for 60 minutes.

Notes:
Ferment at 67F for 7 days.  Make sure to move before primary fermentation slows down to much.  Need some active yeast for watermelon juice addition.  Rack to secondary and add watermelon juice.  Secondary ferment for 7-10 days.

This is a solid beer that finishes with a small watermelon flavor.  Not a gimmicky fruit/wine cooler/beer.  It's all beer!  I've given this beer to a ton of beer geeks who sware down fruit in beers.  They have all loved it because it's great heat busting beer with just a hint of Watermelon.  And don't ask the ladies to drink it!  LPR! for sure!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#15]
NB Mexican cervesa yesterday, an allgrain SMaSH with two row and cascade hops today, my first allgrain.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I brewed an oatmeal stout in preparation for the coming cooler weather.  I figure it'll be just right when Christmas hits.  I had to sub a couple of things because I don't have a dedicated homebrew supplier in the area and the online vendor had a bad description for the grain I ordered.  I imagine it'll still be pretty good.  I also got to try out my new Blichmann burner.  It was so nice not having to deal with a soot covered kettle.  It also boiled a hell of a lot faster.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=210376
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got a simple cream ale in the mash tun right now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:59:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Brewed a German Pils recipe from my buddy: The Pils that Mother Gives You.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Brewed this past weekend.  I've decided i'm done with the bags and I'm going to order a basket from Arbor Fab.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Brewed this past weekend.  I've decided i'm done with the bags and I'm going to order a basket from Arbor Fab.
View Quote

Never heard of those before.  Love the idea, not the price
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Northern Brewer still hasn't shipped out my kit, I placed the order a week ago. I was hoping to this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'm already into a brew boss and really don't want to pay the price for their COFI system which is around $500.  Arbor Fab makes it for them so I figured I'd go to the source. I'm tired of bags but I think I've already said that...
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I started a batch of mulberry wine and a batch of apple cider
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Northern Brewer still hasn't shipped out my kit, I placed the order a week ago. I was hoping to this weekend.
View Quote

That is really weird. Have you given them a ring to see what the hang up is?

I am going to move to bottling next week from my first scottish ale. I think follwoing that I will roll right into my next batch and see if I can't spice it up.  I am thinking a porter. My coworker is going to lend me his ten gallon kit so I can do an all grain batch.  There goes the neughborhood.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I did a nut brown yesterday.  I should have waited to do it today because it ended up being windy and that led to a poor boil and an oak leaf in the kettle.  I still hit my numbers and am looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I did a 1 gallon extract rum stout on Friday. I added a bit too much syrup and my SG is through the charts. Then yesterday I did a 1 gallon all-grain wheat beer kit. I added honey and lemon peels to the boil.  I'm thinking about adding orange or correander in secondary. My wife likes all those citrus wheat beers. I emptied my keg that had a pale ale, which gives me a reason to get going on the Grapefruit Pulpin kit. And I need to buy some grain and bags so I can get started with BIAB. I'm planning on doing a SMASH session IPA with citra and 2-row and keep a keg of that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I plan to do it next weekend.

I wish it was today.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Well. Today is the day.

They were out of some ingredients I needed to follow the recipe that I wanted to brew, and since it was an experiment I didn't want to substitute something else for the ingredients I wanted, so I was initially disappointed. However, I saw they had an imperial stout kit on sale for $47 out the door (normally $60).

So, I decided to give it a go.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#29]
It wasn't this weekend, but on Thursday I did a 5 gallon extract clone of Ballast Point's Grapefruit Sculpin.  It's been bubbling strong for a few days now. I'm going to do secondary/dry hop in a Culligan water carboy. I just need to grab a big stopper. I'm also going to transfer that rum stout to secondary (glass gallon) and add some coffee and vanilla bean. Next weekend I'm bottling the all-grain wheat I did. And I grabbed a packet of champagne yeast so I might try some hard cider. We'll see how that goes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I might brew tomorrow. The Cascade smash again. It was very refreshing. Simple, crisp.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I never get time to brew anymore.  It's once a month at most and that honestly isn't keeping up with my drinking habits!  My brew area is at my in laws and runs off 220v so I need to add a 220v outlet at my house so that I can brew here.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Ended up brewing a lemon shandy kit. Wirey likes lemon shandy. Cooling now, awaiting yeast.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Brewed an AG Winter Warmer Saturday. I have some light oak chips soaking in Wellers, so after the happy yeasties stop doing their thing, in the oak chips go for a week.Should be ready to drink (keg) by Dec. 1
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Last week I moved everything to secondary:

Grapefruit pulpin got dry hops and grapefruit peel/vodka
Wheat beer got crushed corriander seeds soaked in triple sec
Rum stout got vanilla extract and a coffee pouch, will throw in a shot of rum

Sunday morning I started my cider experiment:
4 gallons of pasteurized cider
1.5 pounds corn syrup
1/2 gallon apple juice to bring volume up
1 packet SafCider yeast
I'm soaking cinnamon sticks in vodka and will add in secondary
Planning on bottling with maple syrup
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:27:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I started a batch of mulberry wine and a batch of apple cider
View Quote

Tried ty mulberry wine and it came out great. If anyone cared.

2 gal water
5, 1 gallon bags full of mulberries
Heat to 170
Add 2lbs dextrose
Cool and add pectinase, and champagne yeast
Primary 1week
Add 1pound sugar
Secondary 1 week
Bottle (I carbonated it)

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Last week I moved everything to secondary:

Grapefruit pulpin got dry hops and grapefruit peel/vodka
Wheat beer got crushed corriander seeds soaked in triple sec
Rum stout got vanilla extract and a coffee pouch, will throw in a shot of rum

Sunday morning I started my cider experiment:
4 gallons of pasteurized cider
1.5 pounds corn syrup
1/2 gallon apple juice to bring volume up
1 packet SafCider yeast
I'm soaking cinnamon sticks in vodka and will add in secondary
Planning on bottling with maple syrup
View Quote

Today I kegged the IPA, and bottled both the wheat beer and stout. And I added the extra flavors to the cider, plus 1 ounce of Citra hops. I think it's going to be an awesome cider.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I just transferred my imperial stout "Moonless Night" to Secondary. I did not take a gravity reading because I'm stupid I guess. It was 15 days in primary.
3 gallons of it went into my 3 gallon fermenter. It'll get some Hawaiian bourbon-soaked cacao nibs - the tincture.

The rest went into a 1-gallon glass jug. It was only 2/3 full so I decided to have some fun with it. I threw 4oz of wheat DME and 3/8 tsp of yeast nutrient (which is about 1/3 wheat I think) into 2 cups of water, boiled it for 10 minutes, and pitched it into the jug. It started fermenting  pretty soon afterwards and died out after about 24 hours. This batch will get ~2 cups of cold-brew coffee at bottling time, and probably some of the bourbon-cacao tincture.

I was surprised how much trub got sucked up into my secondary fermenters. There's at least 1" of trub at the bottom of each jug, maybe a bit more.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was surprised how much trub got sucked up into my secondary fermenters. There's at least 1" of trub at the bottom of each jug, maybe a bit more.
View Quote

I had a similar thing happen with my stout. I added a pound and a half of corn syrup to a one gallon extract batch then pitched 3 yeasts (s-04 from the kit, s-05 2 days later then champagne yeast. The SG never hit the target FG so I put it in secondary with vanilla extract and a hotel pouch of coffee. 2 weeks later I racked it to the bottling bucket and had ANOTHER inch trub like another yeast life cycle had happened. I didn't take a SG but the half bottle I drank wasn't dry at all. Just tastes like an awesome chocolate vanilla coffee stout.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I just brewed up a pale ale with Cascade hops.  The clad bottom of my 10 gallon Tall Boy kettle started to delaminate.  I thought it had warped a couple brews ago because the lid no longer fit tight.  I guess I'll keep using it as I wasn't planning to make any more hardware purchases until I was in a place I could do an electric setup.  I suppose if it becomes a problem I could get a kettle that could be used in an electric setup in the future.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Brewed an Amarillo pale ale yesterday, partial mash kit from the local brewery supply store.

Brewing today an American light, from Brewers Best. Simple all rxtract kit.

Friday started 5 gallons of hard apple cider.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:06:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I plan to next weekend. It's been 6 months since I've brewed anything here
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Made a blonde ale for a party.

I threw some triticale in it. Because, meh, why not.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Made a blonde ale for a party.

I threw some triticale in it. Because, meh, why not.
View Quote

Keep tribbles away from triticale!
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Dying to get back into it again.

Have really only done a handful of extract kits and never was to impressed.

I want to go all grain so I am researching DIY mash tuns and the like 
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I brewed up an amber ale today.  I also tapped the pale ale I made last month and I'm quite happy with it.

For Edisla, I use a Coleman Xtreme 52 quart cooler with the following bulkhead kit and a stainless water heater supply hose.  It has been working great for me.

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=47&product_id=252
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#46]
I brewed an all grain kit call hopfella and it was by far the best batch I've made. I had several people really excited about it. I upgraded some equipment and went with a stainless steel basket instead of a bag and it really did help. Also added a stainless hops basket and it really helped keep my beer clear.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 11:00:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Brewed a Belgian witbier today.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I brewed up an amber ale today.  I also tapped the pale ale I made last month and I'm quite happy with it.

For Edisla, I use a Coleman Xtreme 52 quart cooler with the following bulkhead kit and a stainless water heater supply hose.  It has been working great for me.

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=47&product_id=252
View Quote

Happen to have a pic of your bulkhead tubing setup?
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Happen to have a pic of your bulkhead tubing setup?
View Quote

Here are the items I ordered from bargainfittings.com:
- Premium LONG Bulkhead kit for coolers
 - Extra Locknut / Gasket NONE
 - HOSE BARB for valve: 1/2" Hose - SS
 - INSIDE OPTION Standard Coupling
 - VALVE: 3 piece valve - SS
1/2" NPT flat silicone gasket
1/2" NPT Plug Stainless
#6 SS Clamp - fits 3/8 - 7/8 tubing
1/2" Washer 304 SS - Fits COOLER bulkheads (LARGE ID)

I got the 3/4" water heater supply line from either Lowe's or Home Depot, cut off both ends, and removed the interior tubing.  I folded in the ends with needlenose pliers.  One end fit over the bulkhead and I terminated the other with the stainless plug.  You need to remove the rubber sleeve from the cooler's drain and push the bulkhead through it.  It may take a couple of tries with the teflon tape to get it water tight.  Don't overtighten it else you may crush the cooler.  I like that there is very little dead space with this mash tun.  I have not had any issues with stuck sparges.  I did one American Wheat and used rice hulls and had no problems.  

I used this thread and a couple of others while planning and building it.  http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=194395  There are many other ways to turn a cooler or water cooler into a mash tun.  This one worked for me.  There are several videos on YouTube as well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Your cooler is this one right?

linky

Can you do 10 gal batches w/ this? I think I'll be sticking to 5 for now.

Did you put anything in the SS braid to keep it from collapsing?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top