Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/16/2021 10:31:53 PM EDT
Once you get your catch do you enjoy cutting it up and grinding it up and making your own sausage and smoking your own meats, making beef jerky, and smoking your fish?

Being laid up, I wish you folks getting your catch of fish and fresh game meat.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need a direct object in your sentence so we can.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Scored this last month in Texas.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I smoke my meat in a bong too
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve been doing poorly on the fishing lately. Pulled in one decent bass on Thursday. It’s going to get colder soon and the bite should pick up a little.

I’m really looking forward to doing some bow hunting soon, and duck season.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]
August was lobster season start and the annual Keys trip. Freezer is stocked with fresh lobster, grouper, snapper, mahi, and a few hogfish.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't smoke my own meat.   I tried several times there's just no way I'll ever be that flexible.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]
8 hand size blue gill and 4 quail today not bad but not great
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

Hmmmm...
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I smoke my meat in a bong too
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Two freezers full of caribou, moose and salmon.  

We process most is it but I do get the processor to make me some of the more complicated meats.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Used to do our own processing but it’s gotten to be that I’m so busy and usually in a time crunch that I just drop it off at the processors nowadays.
We still do our own jerky but I’ll have the breakfast sausage and snack sticks made for me.
Was so slammed with work this year that I never even made it to our own pond to do any fishing. Just a couple trips out while on vacations.
Looking forward to rifle season in a month.

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Only deer I've seen in three outings was a small 4 point 60+ yards away.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I like drinking in excess too
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Been catching a few crappie, havent hunted deer yet, been too busy to get out there. Actually hadnt shot my bow in months until a few days ago.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#16]
My boy killed his first deer with a bow this year. Not his first deer, just his first bow kill.

Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#17]

??????

You should put the horns on a bump or ballistic helmet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Used to do our own processing but it’s gotten to be that I’m so busy and usually in a time crunch that I just drop it off at the processors nowadays.
We still do our own jerky but I’ll have the breakfast sausage and snack sticks made for me.
Was so slammed with work this year that I never even made it to our own pond to do any fishing. Just a couple trips out while on vacations.
Looking forward to rifle season in a month.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/351019/C8C148ED-21C4-4428-A191-F368D0E5928E-1987470.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/351019/D2139955-A0AA-48E9-87FD-AAD906DB0FDF-2021052.jpg
View Quote

I’m assuming that’s you and your wife. Which begs the question.

Did you sell your soul to the devil or somthin?
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Shot a little Muley a couple miles in 2 weeks ago. Still looking for an elk.

Attachment Attached File

Federal fusion 165 out of a 30-06 poked through it though. Not too happy about that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Nice on!
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

??????

You should put the horns on a bump or ballistic helmet.
View Quote

Nah, I'm getting a shoulder mount and it should be ready in 6-8 months. Still waiting on the meat from the processor...I dropped it off on 9/12.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:54:07 PM EDT
[#22]
It’s not really hunting, but we do some hog eradicating. Haven’t been since Labor Day but we killed 63 on Friday night and 71 on Saturday night. Honestly didn’t probably make a dent in the hog population.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:11:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Did you try to eat any of that, though?
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Did you try to eat any of that, though?
View Quote

Not yet, I’m having it processed and shipped back to me.

I’ve heard mixed reviews on the meat, some say it’s terrible and some say it’s great when cooked properly. So who knows…I’m going to find out!
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Rifle season hasn’t started yet- so no.

There’s at least 3 good bucks around (1 in the neighborhood, 2 at the farm) but I’ll probably just get 1 since we don’t have room for that much meat.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I’m assuming that’s you and your wife. Which begs the question.

Did you sell your soul to the devil or somthin?
View Quote

I’m just an average GDer. Million+ net worth, Lambo,10 inch dick.
You know,the usual.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm the most enthusiastic bad fisherman and hunter you've ever met.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Might be getting out tomorrow.  Maybe. Early access to rifle season with a special program.  I really need to go fishing while I'm here too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I’m just an average GDer. Million+ net worth, Lambo,10 inch dick.
You know,the usual.
View Quote

Well she's not guilty, that's for dam sure
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Will be processing this doe later today. 93 lbs field dressed...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Bow season is basically scouting time to watch for big bucks and maybe get lucky. Probably poke a doe in a week or two. November and December we'll take 8-12 deer or so to fill our freezers. Once deer is over it's time for squirrels and rabbits. Fishing, I'll wait until the water is hard.

Short answer: not yet.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Of course....we fully process all of our own game meat/fish/fowl........

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I missed a doe with an arrow from the ground does that count? LOL

It was the last 30 secs of legal shooting and was dark. I could make out the doe outline with my left eye and the pins with my right eye. It looked like 15 yards so i let the arrow fly.

Found the FOB and the knock 40 yards away. Found no blood, no arrow, no deer, no hair. I finally gave up and went home.

next morning found the arrow, no blood no hair. Took a good look at the scene of the shoot and figured out it must have been a yearly about 5 yards away. It just looked further away in my mind assuming a normal sized deer. I completely missed it sailing the arrow above it's back. It never even spooked, just calmly walked away.

Oh well
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Only caught 68 fish this year (I keep track). Poor number, last year I hit 250+ of all types, and got my Ohio Master Angler pin. 23 this year were crappie, the only fish I'll keep. Got several pounds in the freezer.

I don't hunt, but I expect some pounds of deer meat soon. I let a friend hunt my property, he just got a nice doe. He always kicks me down free meat for letting him hunt.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I closed on a 145acre hunting/fishing property in Aug. Haven't done much of either in a decade or more. Was more or less abandoned for the last 10-15 years except for some road maintenance.

I've harvested one buck so far, wouldn't really call it hunting from maybe 25 yds from a padded chair in a platform stand. I've got five stands and the place borders national forest on one side and private timber land on the others.

The fishing is something else, have five ponds, all have fish in them, nicest one is 1.7acres spring fed with an aeration collar on the spillway and constant flow... was definitely overstocked with bass from not being fished and I've harvested about 30, released everything over about 3lbs and anything too small to be worth cleaning/cooking. The bite seemed to fall off then, there were big schools of baby bluegill disturbing the surface last time I fished it so I suppose they're not hungry right now, or at least I'm fishing wrong for the time of year.

Second pond is fed from the first's overflow, very similar really, I pulled one bass out of it and then I started catching black crappie on my bass lures and switched to jigs, caught about a dozen right off the dock. That pond has too much hydrilla in it so I released a dozen sterile grass carp.

Third pond is smaller, about an acre, but deep and still and at high relative elevation, no flow this time of year but it was flowing all spring. See fish jumping but haven't caught anything there yet.

Fourth pond is smaller (and higher elevation) yet and covered with duck weed, released more grass carp, caught a channel cat.

The fifth pond is supposed to be about 3 acres in the creek bottom but the level varies, seller didn't know why. I suspected all along the swale that feeds into it had failed somewhere and the water was getting to the creek instead of the pond. I spent Fri. finding and repairing the breaches , and I think I may need a bigger culvert where it crosses a road to keep it from happening again. I suspect it was Joaquin that caused the failure in 2015 from looking at google earth history, was always full before then. Has catfish in it still, lots of birds and I've seen otters there, felt really good to find those breaches and fix them. I also fixed the big roll up shop door on the warehouse building that was off it's tracks so I can secure it that day. There's also a little cabin on that one with a dock I need to clean and fix up, probably do that this month whenever I'm tired of sitting in a tree stand.

The only bad thing about the place is it's got a new 200amp service, new well, and an old septic system surviving from the old man who built everything's old mobile homesite, and there's a storage container and a roofed over picnic area right there by the hookups for the RV, which is all great, but it's also almost half a mile from there to the warehouse where I could really use power.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Where I hunt anything that doesn't get eaten by the farm owner gets sold to a local butchery and put into the general food supply of the country. We tend to make biltong out of the hams and cut most of the rest up into chops and put anything else up for slow cook meat. Some animals we'll turn the shoulders and hams into boerwors and druewors. Never skimp on the choppies though. Really choice cuts like tenderloin go to the braai. We also don't do like people do in the USA and cut them up in the field. We skin and gut in a proper butchering building and hang the meat for at least a few days. Much better results if it's hanged properly.

Nice size blesbok ram, .243AI 105 RDF's @ 500m from shooting sticks. Right through both shoulders.

Black wildebeest, herd cull, 200m .308win 178gr ELD-m @ 200m, head shot. I also got a similar size blue wildebeest cull but forgot to get a pic before we took it to sell to the buthchery.

200lbs big boar warthog @200m, small rack but otherwise good size waterbuck ram @250m, good size eland bull @230m. All headshots taken in well under 45 seconds w/ .308win 150gr game kings.

On the same day as I got these 3 I also killed a good size black backed jackal (skin being processed) a fat hyrax (aka a dassie) and a normal size red meerkat (aka yellow mongoose). So I managed to kill Pumba and Timon on the same day but couldn't manage to kill Simba.

Going back in December and June. If I can I'm going to try to take a giraffe, an oryx and a nyala on those trips. I've already got 2 other eland, a kudu, 2 springbok, a zebra and 2 impala.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Last week

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I caught this one and a couple of slightly smaller ones a couple of weeks ago.  I need to work less and fish more.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Just filled my freezer with black bear meat. Next if i decide to is venison
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I just stalked a doe and her 2 fawns for about 30 minutes.
Any buck zone here so they're still on the hoof.

Gorgeous, foggy morning though.
Shot this...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Once you get your catch do you enjoy cutting it up and grinding it up and making your own sausage and smoking your own meats, making beef jerky, and smoking your fish?

View Quote

I hope your post-stroke rehab is going well
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I have big game combo for MT. Season starts in six days! I’ll be there day before.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Scored this 8 pt on 9/26 , took him to the processor.  Just had venison chili this weekend at deer camp for opening day of gun season

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

My Excalibur crossbow
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#47]
No, none at all.

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#48]
The mullet run is on here. The fish are all with the mullet, and it's tough to catch them with so much bait available to them.
All I've hooked this week were unstoppable Dragons.
(Big fookin sharks)

Last night I actually managed to stop one, just before a boat blasted through and cut me off.
Second one bit me off.

Last decent catch was last month.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I dunno what's got you laid up, op, but I hope you get better, and quickly.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Big Fishing ends in August here.
(Drying and smoking salmon.)

Now is time for lush fishing and when the ice is thick enough time for under the ice nets for whitefish.
February to May is ice fishing for pike.

Only had two days to moose hunt this fall and did not catch.
So hopefully there is snow for a winter hunt.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#50]
It is work but sometimes enjoyable like trying new jerky recipes or making sausage.  I save a lot of money deer hunting, usually get a couple a year.

I process my own.  Spent $400 on a LEM  grinder about 12 years ago and it's more than paid for itself.  One year I got three deer one morning, processing fee was $300, I said forget that, been doing my since.

I will grab pork butt on sale and buy a bunch and make ground pork and make my own Italian sausage.  I like lots of fennel and garlic in mine.  I have made brats too for smoking.

The thing I hate is all the trimming and get the hair off.  My wife makes a good roast with it too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top