Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2021 11:06:01 AM EDT
I was just offered  heck of  deal on a 2004 Reflex 250. ($1000 with less than 5K miles on it)
It's been well taken care of with regular maintenance, etc. and barely ridden.

At first I laughed inside when he offered, but then I started watching videos on these things.

The 249cc motor is pretty much a bullet proof workhorse, and easy as shit to work on.
With a simple 20 minute modification to the variator sliders on the CVT, this thing could have
no problems holding highway speeds for a decent distance. I also like the 65+ mpg rating, with Lord knows what the gas prices will be soon because of Xiden.

I kind of like the idea of using this as a daily commuter. It's lightweight, powerful enough to get out of it's own way, won't get my clothes trashed, even on a rainy day, and has a decent storage trunk under the seat. for my work papers, and a occasional quick trip to the store.

I currently own an '85 GL 1200 which is great for long hauls. But I've only have done 2 long rides in the last 3 years, and a Royal Enfield Bullet 500, which tends to sling oil around, and isn't overly compatible with nice work clothes.

Any input or experience with one of these would be appreciated

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Back when I lived in town, the city water meter reader rode one for years.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#2]
My 2002 has no problem doing highway speeds, I've topped it out an an indicated 82. Mine is approaching 10k miles, so will need a belt.
Suspension is soft and does not have much travel. $1000 is a good deal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]
That Honda will serve you well o.p.
Just remember it cruises around 55 m.p.h.

The price is great ??.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That Honda will serve you well o.p.
Just remember it cruises around 55 m.p.h.

The price is great ??.
View Quote

Thanks for the input. I work 2.1 miles from home, all in town travel, with the occasional jaunt up the freeway, maybe 3 times a month.

Found a (representative) picture, but it's in pretty pristine condition, owned by a doctor. He got it for his wife, who rode it a few times
but lost interest. He's got all of the maintenance records, etc.  I think I'm going to jump on this deal. I'll upgrade the variator to Dr. Pulley
sliders to give a little more top end when I feel like longer highway riding

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like a great deal to me if the type of commuting fits. Pics of 85 GL?  I love those bikes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like a great deal to me if the type of commuting fits. Pics of 85 GL?  I love those bikes.
View Quote

Only about 60k original miles on it. I installed new fork springs, timing belts, and synced the carbs when I got it a few years back. She runs like a top
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked this up to ride around town at my summer place (summer traffic in a beach town blows, and when you’re too lazy to ride a bicycle or need to pick up a case of beer, this is the way to go).

I have so much fun on it that I brought it home for the winter.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Is that a 50cc? Looks pretty retro
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input. I work 2.1 miles from home, all in town travel, with the occasional jaunt up the freeway, maybe 3 times a month.

Found a (representative) picture, but it's in pretty pristine condition, owned by a doctor. He got it for his wife, who rode it a few times
but lost interest. He's got all of the maintenance records, etc.  I think I'm going to jump on this deal. I'll upgrade the variator to Dr. Pulley
sliders to give a little more top end when I feel like longer highway riding

https://storage.googleapis.com/mhimg/p/3545/1933545/9a0d_s.jpg

View Quote

I had a Dr. Pulley kit on my Yamaha Majesty.
It helped the mid range punch.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/117786/WP_20160615_13_54_16_Pro-1806443.jpg

Only about 60k original miles on it. I installed new fork springs, timing belts, and synced the carbs when I got it a few years back. She runs like a top
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I can see where they'd be practical transportation if you live in town and have a short commute, but I just can't get into them...or the modern ones, anyway. I think I could enjoy a vintage Vespa or Lambretta, but the modern plastic ones just don't appeal to me at all.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a Yamaha Zuma 50 that I bought back in 2009 when gas was going up. Only rode it to and from work.

Now that Uncle Joe is going to drive gas up again, it's time to dust it off and have it tuned before Spring gets here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Wife has a 2002 Honda Metropolitan. Works great. I keep it tended and filled with non-ethanol gas. I ride it around the block in the winter months to keep it happy.

$1000 for a 250? I'd jump on that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd buy it at that price, like you said gas is only going up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is that a 50cc? Looks pretty retro
View Quote

Mine?

Yes, she’s a 50cc. Honda’s take on a classic Vespa.

It doesn’t have much grunt, but even with my big ass on it it’ll do 30ish, which is plenty down the shoulder in a beach town.

I’ve been looking for an old Puch to punch out to maybe 75cc for some additional fun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I have 2 Yamaha C3’s

50 cc fuel injection and water cooled.

With variator work 43mph is possible, pretty quick off the line.

Have driven it on the acces road to work a few times.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:07:07 AM EDT
[#17]
link to windscreen

pic not mine - I have a 52L Maxia case instead, on the successor model "300 cc" Forza (actually like 278cc)

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
link to windscreen

pic not mine - I have a 52L Maxia case instead, on the successor model "300 cc" Forza (actually like 278cc)

https://myforza300.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/20140515_175711.jpg
View Quote

I was wondering about the windscreen being so short on the 'sport' model (I chuckle when I see 'sport' associated with a scooter)

I'll see how badly my helmet gets buffeted around on the freeway, then maybe upgrade if I see the need.

Does the Forza offer better Hwy cruising? What's the storage like without the rear trunk?

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was wondering about the windscreen being so short on the 'sport' model (I chuckle when I see 'sport' associated with a scooter)

I'll see how badly my helmet gets buffeted around on the freeway, then maybe upgrade if I see the need.

Does the Forza offer better Hwy cruising? What's the storage like without the rear trunk?

View Quote
Highway:
mine tops out ~84mph WFO (GPS, the speedo is off by 1mph), I was commuting I90 from ~ Rockford to ~ O'Hare Airport daily for a couple years with no issues, and getting 62mpg (used Fuelly to track for a while) while doing it.  The only bad thing is when you have to decel, it accelerates....relatively sloooooowly....above 50.  Numbers/performance didn't really change with a passenger either.  Rides well because the wheelbase is long, about equal to the FJR1300 I owned previously.

Storage:
Two full-face helmets (XL and L), a 2XL hoodie, and a bungee cargo net fit under the seat at the same time.  Or 3-4 plastic bags (and the hoodie and the net) worth of assorted groceries.  Or 2 range bags holding 4 pistols, 2 revolvers, a dozen preloaded mags and a couple hundred rounds on moon clips, which is what really matters

Other:  
actual city stoplight-to-stoplight, suburb stoplight-to-45, etc. everyone else will be in your way while you quietly go about your business.  It amuses me when I hear someone suddenly flooring it 'cause "that damned scooter" is bruising their ego.  Harley guys are the worst
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Bringing my Honda PCX 150 home.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

250?  

I thought they were 150cc
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Well I went and tried to get the scooter started and home yesterday.

Couldn't get it to run. It will run for a bit on either, but the carb needs pulled off and cleaned. I didn't want to sit for hours pulling all of the plastic off in an unheated garage, and he didn't want to sit and watch.

He's going to get it to me on a trailer in a couple of weeks. He's got
2 Triumphs and  a Beamer he has to move to his new house then.

In the meantime I had been watching tons of vids about these, and the predecessor, the Helix.

The Helix looks like it's more comfortable for longer jaunts, easier to work on, and ugly in a cool 80's Battlestar Galactica (original series) kind of way. I got sucked in, and started searching the web for one.

Ended up buying a really nice 1999 one owner, with 13K on the clock. Bought it from the shop who did all of the maintenance on the scoot since the old feller bought it. It looks super clean, and had new tyres, rollers & belt installed, factory passenger back rest, and an aftermarket folding driver's back rest.  The owner also had a complete second set of upper body parts in yellow, to go with it.

They are storing it for me until April 1.  So now I'll have 2 scooters, And a GL that I hardly ride, and not enough room in my garage.

Anyone want a good deal on a GoldWing?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#24]
My guilty pleasure is a 2013 Suzuki Burgman 400.

Comfortable, reliable, lots of dry storage, handling and unbelievably powerful.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:38:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:45:00 AM EDT
[#26]

I sure wish Harley would build this thing. It might actually save their business
https://electrek.co/2020/01/12/see-the-upcoming-harley-davidson-electric-scooter-in-most-detailed-view-yet/
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:48:12 AM EDT
[#27]
The Chinese made an almost exact copy (ask me how I know) so if you need body parts or such, look on CL or eBay (usually for someone selling it because the ignition switch shit the bed and they got discouraged after disassembling half the vehicle to replace it).
Seriously, they are the cockroach of the MC world. You'll still be riding it after the apocolips happens...next year.
I have its big brother the Silverwing, 600CC and it does almost everything your GL will do. Goes like stink too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Well I got it home finally. Went to his place and was going to ride it home.  I threw in a new battery, but I couldn't get the blasted thing to run.  

Figuring it was the carb, having sat for 3 years, I tore into it. Well the carb was nice and clean. Then I checked the fuel pump according to the service manual, and sure enough it's toast. I did a quick gravity feed test with a hose and funnel, and it fired up and ran like a champ.

Now I just need to find a reasonably priced fuel pump, repair some cracks in the fairing with some ABS glue, and start the arduous task of putting all of that plastic back on.

As she sits now

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:56:24 PM EDT
[#29]

That looks like a modernized version of my old Rupp mini bike.

Sign me up!
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Got a fuel pump out of a wreck, off of FleaBay for a reasonable price. Easy-peasy getting it to run, but a complete pain in the arse to get all of that plastic back on.

She runs pretty dang good for such a small motor!

Had her buttoned up last weekend. Today I took a 92 mile test ride on the Reflex's new stable-mate. A 21 year old Helix.
Damn that thing is the Cadillac of scooters. It cruises like a dream. Had it doing 77 down the freeway, with a fair amount of throttle left.
It's surprisingly quick off of the line too.

Here she is parked in the garage with her siblings. Tomorrow my daughter & I are going out to teach her to ride. The still wants the Reflex,
she thinks the Helix is too dorky looking. I think it's hideously beautiful  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top