Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 6/12/2018 9:06:48 PM EDT
I've recently become interested in very early Colonial America, circa late 1500's to early 1600's.   I'm particularly interested in the mystery of the Roanoake settlement but would also like to learn more about other early settlements on the Eastern coast of America.

Any suggestions on well written, informative books for this era?  Preferably books available on Kindle.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:21:55 AM EDT
[#1]
These are earlier, but good.

Adventures in the Unknown Interior of America, Cabeza de Vaca
Voyages of Samuel de Champlain

As I recall, de Vaca had readers at home eager for information about the New World.  And he started making things up.  Natives without anuses, for example.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 1:13:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Interaction between the early Colonies and the N-D-N:  First Frontier.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I read Plymouth. It’s about the Pilgrims and their story. Quite fascinating. I never realized how separate they were from the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:02:03 AM EDT
[#4]
A new book on the Roanoke settlement came out earlier this year that is worth the read.  "The Secret Token: Myth, Obsession, and the Search for the Lost Colony of Roanoke" by Andrew Lawler.  It is available on Kindle.  It is a pretty thorough canvassing of the various theories regarding what happened there and is highly entertaining to boot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Winthrop's Journal, History of New England 1630 - 1649

Magnalia Christi Americana - Cotton Mather

Bradford's History of Plymouth Plantation
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for "First Frontier". . . read it last year. . . Excellent book.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#7]
White Cargo The Forgotten History of Britain's White Slaves in America by Don Jordan and Michael Walsh

Cannibalism, Headhunting and Human Sacrifice in North America A History Forgotten by George Franklin Feldman
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
“Conceived in Liberty”  Murray N.  Rothbard, he was better known as an economist but this 4 volume set on the early colonies is top notch.  I believe there are free downloads on the net.   Kindle also.

Hking
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#9]
“Mayflower” by Nathaniel Philbrick

Stay safe
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top