Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Continuous prayers for your little girl.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Prayers sent
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#3]
If I’m not responding to everyone of you know I have read every single post and it has brought light.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Praying for you brother.

We’re dealing with a cardiac issue with our youngest son, 13YO. Getting an ablation in a month to address SVT.

Just make sure your pediatric interventional cardiologist is a badass. It’s pretty specified, so they usually are.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I know a little girl who had a heart transplant before she was a year old. She's now in the cheerleaders at high school and is doing her drivers training. Some really remarkable medical folks out there.
Prayers to your little girl.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Prayers up for all of you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Praying for you brother.

We’re dealing with a cardiac issue with our youngest son, 13YO. Getting an ablation in a month to address SVT.

Just make sure your pediatric interventional cardiologist is a badass. It’s pretty specified, so they usually are.
View Quote

Luckily We are at a womens specialized hospital with a childrens attached. I do know a lot from south Florida are sent here. That said I’ve heard comments about they are struggling with labor as well - I doubt a pediatric cardiologist/surgeon falls into that category though

Prayers to your 13yr old. I thought I knew stress prior to kids……man I’ve never felt stress like this. I know it’s cliche but literally nothing else matters and I can’t do a damn thing about it but hold her little hand
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know a little girl who had a heart transplant before she was a year old. She's now in the cheerleaders at high school and is doing her drivers training. Some really remarkable medical folks out there.
Prayers to your little girl.
View Quote

The stories are amazing I can’t believe some of these with kids at 30+. That’s the work that was done back in the 90s- incredible.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Those of you telling personal stories I am sharing them with my wife and it seems to be bringing comfort.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Prayers up!

Not just for the little one, but for you as the parents as well.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I want you to be an adult about this. My family lost a little one at 56 days due to a heart defect not long ago.
I would pray this does not go that way, but, it can.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Praying for little Madison, and for Mom and Dad!

My daughter is an RT at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. They do miracles every day! Have faith!
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just brought our little girl into the world yesterday. She’s had a rough go - she came so quick I actually did the birth in our kitchen. Came exactly 1 week early.

During the 24 hour check she failed the heart screening - during pregnancy the heart was strong. They rolled her to NICU and found On monitors she will randomly drop blood ox.
They did an X-ray came back clear, did an Ecco and they think they might have seen a aortic pulmonary window which is where a deoxygenated artery has a small hole going into an oxygenated one. They said it's rare and didn't 100% confirm it but think they see it on the Ecco (they weren't specifically  looking for it)they also said new borns hearts shunt as well which could also the the culprit.
The plan for now is to try to ween her off of oxygen and then hold off oxygen for 48 hours. At that point, or at some point she can't get off oxygen they will redo the Ecco to confirm it's all ok. If not and the hole is there it is operable. Haven't spoken to a cardiologist to know if it comes to that how risky it is.

1) I know you can’t give medical diagnosis etc but wondering if there are any smart questions we should be asking and or things to confirm.

2) for those who are not cardiologists we could really use prayers that this is just shunting and will resolve itself.

Eta: it tanks when she cries and then sometimes randomly will just drop
View Quote

@GeneralDisaray

Prayers sent for your little girl. What area of Florida are you in? One of my kids spent some time in Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital in St Petersburg. Amazing results, children are resilient and doctors are amazing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Questions to be asking include "where is the best / most experienced place to have whatever diagnostic to confirm, and whatever treatment is needed?"

The hospital you are at may not be that place.  

Speak up for your kid, you have to be a calm and very discerning advocate.  Don't let the docs walk away without being satisfied.

My son had some issues right after birth, not cardiac, but very clearly respiratory, and imaging showed gastric abnormalities as well.  He turns 8 in a month.

Eta May God bless your family!
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Not a doctor, but have worked in a cardiac cath lab for a decade. Sounds like a PDA; if it is they could possibly fix it without surgery.

Do your research on the cardiologist and definitely ask around- although, like mentioned before- pediatric interventional cardiologists are typically bad asses…

I had a congenital aortic stenosis (valve issue) and required open heart at six. Still see a cardiologist every year, but doing well almost 26 years later!

I have a little girl and can only imagine what you’re going through. Prayers heading your way.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Its a patent ductus and it is present because she was early. It will either close spontaneously or they will give Motrin or as a last resort do a patch. Not a super serious presentation these days.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Prayers up for all of you. Good job on the delivery.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Prayers to your little girl and family.  

My son was born with a VSD (heart defect), the hole was the size of a dime.  He had 2 symptoms of Tetralogy of Fallot (TOF) and ended up getting surgery at 3 months.  He as perfectly healthy as can be now, hang in there, this is a bump in life and you will all get through it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#19]
And I thought I had a rough day today.

OP, my prayers are with you and your family.  We have a God who listens and answers.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Prayers brother.  Just had my first kid in January and could not even imagine being in your shoes.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#21]
https://www.wolfsonchildrens.com/doctors/pediatric-thoracic-and-cardiac-surgeon/dr-michael-shillingford-md

This is a friend of mine. If you have a surgical issue, I’d highly recommend consulting with him. Let me know if I can make an introduction.

ETA my two girls both ended up in the NICU (1 for a week and the other for 5 weeks) with early deliveries. Prayers out to you, your wife, and your little girl. I remember how scary those monitor alarms were. Your girl will likely be out in no time. I’ve known a handful of families with babies who had surgical intervention and all are doing well. I’m sure your baby girl will be fine.

Have you named her yet?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@GeneralDisaray

Prayers sent for your little girl. What area of Florida are you in? One of my kids spent some time in Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital in St Petersburg. Amazing results, children are resilient and doctors are amazing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just brought our little girl into the world yesterday. She’s had a rough go - she came so quick I actually did the birth in our kitchen. Came exactly 1 week early.

During the 24 hour check she failed the heart screening - during pregnancy the heart was strong. They rolled her to NICU and found On monitors she will randomly drop blood ox.
They did an X-ray came back clear, did an Ecco and they think they might have seen a aortic pulmonary window which is where a deoxygenated artery has a small hole going into an oxygenated one. They said it's rare and didn't 100% confirm it but think they see it on the Ecco (they weren't specifically  looking for it)they also said new borns hearts shunt as well which could also the the culprit.
The plan for now is to try to ween her off of oxygen and then hold off oxygen for 48 hours. At that point, or at some point she can't get off oxygen they will redo the Ecco to confirm it's all ok. If not and the hole is there it is operable. Haven't spoken to a cardiologist to know if it comes to that how risky it is.

1) I know you can’t give medical diagnosis etc but wondering if there are any smart questions we should be asking and or things to confirm.

2) for those who are not cardiologists we could really use prayers that this is just shunting and will resolve itself.

@GeneralDisaray

She’s at Winnie Palmer in Orlando
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Questions to be asking include "where is the best / most experienced place to have whatever diagnostic to confirm, and whatever treatment is needed?"

The hospital you are at may not be that place.  

Speak up for your kid, you have to be a calm and very discerning advocate.  Don't let the docs walk away without being satisfied.

My son had some issues right after birth, not cardiac, but very clearly respiratory, and imaging showed gastric abnormalities as well.  He turns 8 in a month.

Eta May God bless your family!
View Quote

Good call. My step mom has one of the best heart surgeons in Florida. I’ll ask them to see who he may know of or if the hospital is solid
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not a doctor, but have worked in a cardiac cath lab for a decade. Sounds like a PDA; if it is they could possibly fix it without surgery.

Do your research on the cardiologist and definitely ask around- although, like mentioned before- pediatric interventional cardiologists are typically bad asses…

I had a congenital aortic stenosis (valve issue) and required open heart at six. Still see a cardiologist every year, but doing well almost 26 years later!

I have a little girl and can only imagine what you’re going through. Prayers heading your way.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Its a patent ductus and it is present because she was early. It will either close spontaneously or they will give Motrin or as a last resort do a patch. Not a super serious presentation these days.
View Quote

It seems like what they are expecting as the treatment plan is sit and wait for now. I’m OK with that. One of us are with her 24/7 and watching o2 and feeling the nurses out,
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://www.wolfsonchildrens.com/doctors/pediatric-thoracic-and-cardiac-surgeon/dr-michael-shillingford-md

This is a friend of mine. If you have a surgical issue, I’d highly recommend consulting with him. Let me know if I can make an introduction.

ETA my two girls both ended up in the NICU (1 for a week and the other for 5 weeks) with early deliveries. Prayers out to you, your wife, and your little girl. I remember how scary those monitor alarms were. Your girl will likely be out in no time. I’ve known a handful of families with babies who had surgical intervention and all are doing well. I’m sure your baby girl will be fine.

Have you named her yet?
View Quote

Thanks so much! I may take you up on that

Yes baby girls name is Madison. Wife didn’t go for “dump truck” my 3 yr old wanted to name her
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Praying for answers, comfort and healing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Again if I didn’t respond directly to you I am still reading and taking comfort in all of it

Those of you with personal stories have really helped especially my wife.

While inside I am stressed to her, Madison, and my so , I’m solid and calm in the storm. I hate not being able to fix it.

Your words of comfort have been amazing
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#30]
If I go silent I’m not ditching just trying to grab some shut eye
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Prayers sent.

Please don’t worry too much.  She was born at the best possible time to fix anything that may be wrong with her!
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Prayers for gour girl. Are you talking PFO? All babies have this prior to birth. Closes shortly thereafter. Hope that’s what it iz.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Prayers sent. Plenty of good Pedi CV cardiologists and surgeons out there. She’s gonna do great.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes baby girls name is Madison. Wife didn’t go for “dump truck” my 3 yr old wanted to name her
View Quote

Prayers up for Madison, and your wife and you also. You will let your 3 y.o. use "dump truck" as a nickname won't you?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Prayers
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don't post much here, but here goes.
Oldest was born with a coarctation of the aorta. Surgery at 5 days using the artery from his arm to make the repair. Heart was the size of a walnut. Went in below the left shoulder blade.
Now 36 and going strong. Modern medicine is amazing.
Prayers for you and yours.
View Quote

I had surgery at 12 days old for a coarc of the aorta. The left subclavian patch is the old school method. I have the same scar on the left shoulder blade.

I turn 38 in a few weeks. Modern medicine truly is amazing.

Prayers for you OP and your sweet little girl.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Prayers sent up for Madison.

You should totally let her siblings nickname her dump truck!
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Prayers for gour girl. Are you talking PFO? All babies have this prior to birth. Closes shortly thereafter. Hope that’s what it iz.
View Quote

Thats why this place is awesome. So many knowledgeable people here. In Feb, when my son was sick and the local hospital couldn’t figure it out aftwr 2 trips to the ER. A member told me that it was most likely misc and to get him to a childrens hospital. Thats what I did and he recovered quick after a few months.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Please let us know if we can support in any way.  

You are not alone.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Fuck man. Hope it turns out fine for your little girl. What a scary time even without complications.  Hope you and mom and stay strong for each other.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#42]
When I trained, (25 years ago) surgical intervention for PDA's was common. Medication therapy has taken over as the standard of care, and I haven't done anesthesia for a PDA in a premie for probably 10 years.

Get some rest, good sir.

Sending prayers out. Remember, she is His daughter, too.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#44]
been there done that with NICU, even had to do a surgery

he's fine now and i'll be praying that yours will be as well
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Prayers outbound for strength for Madison, wisdom for the doctors and medical staff, and comfort for mom and dad.

Wish you the best.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Prayers sent
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Prayers OP. Thoughts and Prayers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Thank you guys! Anything we can do. This is terrible and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.
View Quote

Realize there's nothing you can do but be there for your wife and baby girl. Your little one doesn't know anything is wrong and probably isn't
experiencing any pain minus the normal trauma of childbirth. Prayers to you all.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

They said there is definitely PFO but there is an indicator that there is an additional hole between two arteries off the aorta.

It’s not confirmed though because In the initial ecco they weren’t looking for it
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Prayers up for Madison, and your wife and you also. You will let your 3 y.o. use "dump truck" as a nickname won't you?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He’s stubborn as shit he will probably just call her that forever
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top