Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2018 5:03:31 PM EDT
Finding clothes that fit properly?

I've always had a naturally V shaped frame with wide shoulders, broad chest, slimmer waist and narrow hips. I also have naturally muscular calves and thighs.

Since getting back into shape over the past couple years it has become increasingly difficult to find clothes that fit properly. Shirts that fit in the shoulders and chest are like a trash bag around my mid section, even most of the slim and athletic cuts. I've found a couple brands that work reasonably well but I really have to search. Same thing with jeans. I've found one particular cut of Levi's that fits my legs without being baggy. When buying suits, I start with slim fit and then have them redone by a taylor. A 42" jacket typically comes with 36" waist pants and you can't have the waist taken in enough so they basically have to take the pants completely apart and rebuild them.

Of course, seemingly every store has a huge selection of XXL and 40+" waist pants because I'm sure that's what sells.

Anyone else have this issue?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
OP likes a tapered pant?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
For suits Men’s Warehouse carries a line specifically designed for the athletic build.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely! I always get so angry with my trash bag of extra material, when you tuck your unaltered, generic shirt in.

I'm 6'1 and sit arond 230 70% of the year, super lean and large upper body. Ill sit around 250-260 in the summer when I'm taking a bunch of stuff and calories are high. Been bodybuilding for a long time.

Pants are always 34x32 year around, gives me space for IWB. T-shirts are large if you want to look jacked or XL for relaxed.

You can use my measurements as a guideline.

#1 Get XXL button ups on sale or a reasonable place, then have them taylor for you. Come back in a week and good to go. My only issue is sometimes taylor doesn't bring it in enough. I have hardly any fat on my side but huge chest and shoulders so it has to be perfect for me to be happy, must look like a god damn stud. Ha.

#2 Express Slim fit (XL). When I'm at my biggest these are borderline tight in the chest and triceps, but they are always on clearance on expresses website and no taylor needed. I wear these tucked into slacks M-F @ my career and everyone compliments how big / good I look. Give it a try, half of bodybuilding is the exaggeration of the V taper (not illusion bc we have it) just make it look more extreme.

Below is an example of my build with and without an altered XXL button up. As you can see, still has a tiny bit of trashbag after alteration. Express looks much better (cant find any pics on my phone of this at the moment)

Well crap, it won't let upload pics, says URL? Maybe Im blocked as a new member
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:24:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Im 6ft and 250 lbs with a 34 inch waist. I would wear an XXL in most T-shirts for my chest, shoulders, and arms.

Buying clothes is a nightmare. For Jeans I use Mtailor custom or Fran jeans (highly recommend).
For dress clothes I do custom orders from moderntailor.com.
Otherwise I wear Gym clothes - Underarmour XXL Vneck  shirts, and Reebok XXL gym shorts.

Mtailor has a great measuring/fit tool for use on the iphone and if your order doesnt fit they will adjust it repeatedly until its perfect on their dime.

IF you have a bodybuilder physique the "athletic fit" line at men warehouse is laughable at best. Not worth your time.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing fits me right. I am shaped weird.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Kind of running into a similar situation. Gained about 20lbs and now none of my shirts seem to fit right but Large is too long.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#7]
34 inch waist but big legs. I have to buy 38's. FML

Shirts aren't that bad....I don't mind letting the guns out every now and then.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I find this hard to believe.  I only ever picture you looking like Walter White.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:25:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
34 inch waist but big legs. I have to buy 38's. FML

Shirts aren't that bad....I don't mind letting the guns out every now and then.
View Quote
I try to dress reasonably nice but have a real hard time justifying the money for custom fit jeans. Have you tried the Levi 541s? Basically just give your ass and thighs some extra room without being baggy as fuck all over.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't ordered any in awhile, but there are online stores which will custom-make shirts for not a whole lot.

Nattyshirts.com (or something like that) comes to mind. Be very careful/accurate with your measurements and button selections, though. It's easy to screw e'm up!
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#11]
When I'm holding weight I have a pants problem. Any pants that are cut for clowns or fat guys either fit around my hips but are too tight in the legs, or fit around my legs but then need a belt to stay up.

Of all the parts of me that don't grow well, my glutes and hips are not one of them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#12]
When I buy pants, I have to size up for my.thighs. I can wear 38 waist, but need 40-42 for my thighs so I doesn't look.like I'm wearing yoga pants.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I tried buying a suit one time, ha forget about it. Only option is to have one made.

This was 13-14 years ago, I'll have to check out Mens Warehouse.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm not even big. It's just the shoulder/chest to waist and the waist to legs ratio that makes nearly everything fit weird unless it's tailored.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#15]
6’1” 198-203 lbs 31.5” waist. I get custom suits, dress shirts for work from a specific tailor I’ve used for years.  I try to wear large shirts  s x-large because they’re way to big around my midsection.  I can wear pretty much any brand jeans, etc.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#16]
25 years ago, I was 42x28.
I'd buy store branded "Olympic Cut" suits made by Crown with a 10" drop from chest to waist, and have the jackets let out to the limit and take in the waist on the pants. Worked great if a $300 suit was good enough.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
25 years ago, I was 42x28.
View Quote
That's me now, 42" chest and 28" waist. I'd like to find a store that sells suit separates in nicer suits like department stores do with their cheap house brands.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Yup. I just had a suit made from Indochino. Pretty decent prices, and built from the ground up.

Levi 505s fit pretty well. The athletic T-shirt types usually fit okay for me. Snug around the shoulders though.

Pants are the real problem, thankfully I discovered the Levi stretchy 505s... that's the problem with being 5'9" with 26.5" quads  
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently discovered Levis 541 they fit much better in the quads area. Now I don't have to wear Levis with a waist 4" larger.
Levis 541
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yup. I just had a suit made from Indochino. Pretty decent prices, and built from the ground up.

Levi 505s fit pretty well. The athletic T-shirt types usually fit okay for me. Snug around the shoulders though.

Pants are the real problem, thankfully I discovered the Levi stretchy 505s... that's the problem with being 5'9" with 26.5" quads  
View Quote
RoG, try the Cinch black label pants.  They fit better than the 505 for me.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I like Old Navy's athletic cut jeans.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll check those out
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Nature of the beast.  Have a 13” drop when I buy suits.  Mostly just shop the separates rack, and the tailor has to find a pair of pants he can take in without the belt loops touching..
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#24]
It would be nice to be able to go into a clothing store and find jeans or kakhis in my size 34x36. Up until recently Old Navy carried my size in store. Now I'm forced to buy online and hope I like the fit. Finding shirts that fit is a joke at 6'6" 222 lbs. Even in XL tall sizes long sleeve shirts typically shrink too much in the arms and length after one laundry cycle. Polo style shirts are either too baggy or too tight in the chest. Big and tall stores should be really be called fat and tall stores.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It would be nice to be able to go into a clothing store and find jeans or kakhis in my size 34x36. Up until recently Old Navy carried my size in store. Now I'm forced to buy online and hope I like the fit. Finding shirts that fit is a joke at 6'6" 222 lbs. Even in XL tall sizes long sleeve shirts typically shrink too much in the arms and length after one laundry cycle. Polo style shirts are either too baggy or too tight in the chest. Big and tall stores should be really be called fat and tall stores.
View Quote
LOL. My thoughts exactly!
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#26]
At 6'4" and 225 it's nice to see that I'm not the only guy who is discriminated against by the clothing companies...and I feel y'all's pain.

Proper Cloth is a little pricey ($90-145/shirt, pants are less, also they do suits/jackets, outerwear) but their sizing algorithms & customization are amazing, as is their customer service, delivery and guarantee. It's my one-stop shop now and I highly recommend them. I have been buying their flannel shirts lately for winter wear (not that we really have *winter* here). Collars/cuffs on dress shirts are fused from what I can see, so I don't expect them to last more than about 18 months, but worth the tradeoff.

/TCP
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
At 6'4" and 225 it's nice to see that I'm not the only guy who is discriminated against by the clothing companies...and I feel y'all's pain.

Proper Cloth is a little pricey ($90-145/shirt, pants are less, also they do suits/jackets, outerwear) but their sizing algorithms & customization are amazing, as is their customer service, delivery and guarantee. It's my one-stop shop now and I highly recommend them. I have been buying their flannel shirts lately for winter wear (not that we really have *winter* here). Collars/cuffs on dress shirts are fused from what I can see, so I don't expect them to last more than about 18 months, but worth the tradeoff.

/TCP
View Quote
Proper Cloth is where it's at. I just got another shirt from them a week or two ago. Fits perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#28]
shirts for sure, I have a long torso so that doesn't help.  when I find a type of shirt that fits I buy several, have never gone the custom route.  if I can un-fatten myself again maybe I will.

other problem is I HATE HATE HATE to spend money on clothes, shoes, etc.  custom stuff is spendy, so I end up dressing not so well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:48:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

/TCP
View Quote
I have a couple of those shirts, and they are fantastic. Expensive.... But really nice
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
shirts for sure, I have a long torso so that doesn't help.  when I find a type of shirt that fits I buy several, have never gone the custom route.  if I can un-fatten myself again maybe I will.

other problem is I HATE HATE HATE to spend money on clothes, shoes, etc.  custom stuff is spendy, so I end up dressing not so well.
View Quote
That's me too.  I work from home and rarely see my clients, so when I have to meet them I wear one of my reasonable shirts and pants, the rest of the time I'm a bit of a slob.  I've had the same style since high school, jeans and a comfortable button-up shirt.  But the shirts never fit right and the pants are usually a bit sloppy too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Majority of my T shirts are Key Comfort Fit XLT. Pretty inexpensive, long arms and long torso. I cannot stand shirt sleeves that bind and wad up above my elbow. Just me. Best damn everyday Tshirts I have ever had.

I've switched to xlt Golf shirts for work now rather than button ups because there is give in the arms and back. I've been lucky with Kohls in the big and tall section. There is a brand called Grand Slam golf shirts that I wear pretty much all the time. The arms are form fitting but not bothersome and they breathe. The back stretches well also as opposed to regular button up shirts.

Pants, yeah well I get big kid sizes and bear the belt down pretty good.

One other thing. I wash all of these clothes in cold water and hang dry them with a fan. There is no dryer involved. In my mind this keeps items to minimal shrinkage.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm 5' 10" and weigh 266, but I've lost almost 70 pounds so far and have another 41 to go to my first real long-term goal.

T-shirts are the real bitch. The ones I used to like the fit of, now look massive on me in the waist even though I still wear a size 40 pant. I like longer shirts because I have a long torso and short legs (only 5' 10"), but they hang terribly now (typically) and make me look and feel like I'm still the same size I was.

The fitted dress shirt I bought a few months ago looks good on me though. It's a little tight in the front of my abdomen but actually FITS everywhere else.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I work for Men's Wearhouse, and I wasn't aware of an athletic fit line

We do offer custom made suits, pants, and shirts.  Custom stuff has no additional tailoring charges, ever.  Full suits start at $395, shirts at $125.

I'm not even super fit any more but I've found it to be completely worth it.  I can get classic fit pants and a slim fit jacket in the same suit, which is the same route I take with my muscular clients.  I fit a guy with a 54" chest and 38" waist just fine.

Not all men's wearhouse stores sell a lot of custom stuff, so whoever you deal with might not be as good at it as someone who does half their volume in custom like I do.  If anyone needs further advice specific to dress clothes, tag me in a response to this post.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Google Oxcloth,  Bradley Allen, hotbods.com,  monstaclothing,   and of course, Google search "clothing for bodybuilders".

There's lots to choose from.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Decades ago, I wore "medium" shirts. I'm 5'9" and 145 lbs.  But since the population has gotten fatter, the clothes manufacturers don't want to make their customers feel bad, so they've bumped up all the sizes.
Now, I have to buy "small" size shirts and they're damned hard to find.  
Funny thing; when you look on the sale racks, all the shirts are LG, X-LG and XX-LG.  All the small and medium shirts have been sold.  Don't you think that would be a big clue that the stores need to buy more clothes for their fit customers?

Also, I can't buy dress shirts.  I need fitted 16 1/2 - 31 shirts.  No store carries that size.  I have to order them online.  
Just ordered a "fitted" tux shirt in that size and can't wear it until I get the extra yard of material chopped out of the body.  And since the manufacturer assumes that anyone with a 16 1/2" neck is much bigger than I am, the shoulders hang 3" down my arms.

I'd love to have my shirts custom made, but spending $120 - $350 for a shirt ain't gonna happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top