Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm piecing together a system on a shoestring budget.  Just bought the analog Mackie 24-4 board that my bass player bough and used in our first band back in 99 - its old, but clean and little use.  I have a powered peavey monitor, and an unpowered one I just replaced the diaphram  - (thanks, KISS tribute band!), and am using 2 old square dance "Yak Stack"  column sets as "mains" in my garage for practice, driving them with  the power section of a friend's 300 watt powered 6 channel mixer.

One decent AKG vocal mic, one cheaper Peavey.  24 channels seams like a bunch until you realize the drummer is going to use up 10 of them!

So I'm on the look-out for subs, speakers, amps, eq, effects, a snake, etc.

Keeping an eye on craigslist and fakebook marketplace....
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mgwantob:

Are you back to work full time now? I recall your business got hosed pretty good by the Covid BS lockdowns.
View Quote

Yes, ever since March of 2020 the whole industry was completely hosed. I actually took a job for a major sports team and some corporate gigs here and there which the restrictions had little barring on, due to science and some people being more equal than others.

Ish. I’ve been working/touring steadily since June now. There are many hurdles and restrictions yet to overcome, but things have been becoming more and more normalized again. I’m looking forward to next year, but we’re supposed to do quite a bit of international tours/gigs. I’m interested to see how the vaxx mandates play out as many of us are not and will not. The main band I work for does not enforce any bs, nor believes in mandating anything on the crew or locals. I’ve been fairly lucky in that sense.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By thawntex:
Aw, don't go away!

It's great that this thread gets revived every few years. It's like a long running study in the progression of live sound technology
View Quote

Fine… I’ll poke my head back in every now and again.

I see you logged back in. ;)
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HKD126:

Fine I'll poke my head back in every now and again.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Aw, don't go away!

It's great that this thread gets revived every few years. It's like a long running study in the progression of live sound technology

Fine I'll poke my head back in every now and again.

Yeah, man! I thought it may have been you who re-upped my membership.

I appreciate it greatly!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 9:44:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mgwantob] [#5]

Yes, ever since March of 2020 the whole industry was completely hosed. I actually took a job for a major sports team and some corporate gigs here and there which the restrictions had little barring on, due to science and some people being more equal than others.

Ish. I’ve been working/touring steadily since June now. There are many hurdles and restrictions yet to overcome, but things have been becoming more and more normalized again. I’m looking forward to next year, but we’re supposed to do quite a bit of international tours/gigs. I’m interested to see how the vaxx mandates play out as many of us are not and will not. The main band I work for does not enforce any bs, nor believes in mandating anything on the crew or locals. I’ve been fairly lucky in that sense.
View Quote

Cool, glad to hear your band is one of the sensible ones. Too many bow to the insanity of the left. I’m also hopeful for 2022 to return to normal as I need as many gigs as possible for my original rock band.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool thread!   I recently fell into a part time sound engineer position at my church, and it’s been a ton of fun and new challenge.  

We have a pretty sweet Allen & Heath SQ digital board.  I’m still a total noob.  I can ride and mix faders well, but still getting the deep hang of EQ and compression.  

Is there a market for income for smaller gig sound guys?   I’m totally not opposed to buying a setup and doing some gigs on the weekends.  (Even if I go into the red, my main business can financially support another one that loses money if it’s fun lol)
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I had gotten rid of all my gear about a year after this thread was started. I got tired of breaking all my stuff. Now I break other people's stuff

House monitor guy now for a 1000 cap venue. Lots of pics floating around out there but this one captures the general vibe. The past few years have been a trip.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/244128/image-426729.JPG
View Quote

If that's where I think it is, the best seats in the house are on the front row of the balcony to the left or right of the soundboard.
Great view of the stage and sound and the people watching on the floor are amazing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ariz0na:
Cool thread!   I recently fell into a part time sound engineer position at my church, and it's been a ton of fun and new challenge.  

We have a pretty sweet Allen & Heath SQ digital board.  I'm still a total noob.  I can ride and mix faders well, but still getting the deep hang of EQ and compression.  

Is there a market for income for smaller gig sound guys?   I'm totally not opposed to buying a setup and doing some gigs on the weekends.  (Even if I go into the red, my main business can financially support another one that loses money if it's fun lol)
View Quote
Church sound can be challenging, and you can really hone your chops doing it. My church has an S6L, which is about ten times the console I use at my paid gig

Whether you can make money as a weekend warrior depends on your regional market. I'd do some research before buying a system.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gopher:

If that's where I think it is, the best seats in the house are on the front row of the balcony to the left or right of the soundboard.
Great view of the stage and sound and the people watching on the floor are amazing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gopher:
I had gotten rid of all my gear about a year after this thread was started. I got tired of breaking all my stuff. Now I break other people's stuff

House monitor guy now for a 1000 cap venue. Lots of pics floating around out there but this one captures the general vibe. The past few years have been a trip.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/244128/image-426729.JPG

Yep, good ol' Granada Theater. Quit working there full-time in 2018.

I miss that place. Had the time of my life there. I'm thankful I had that opportunity. Best people in the world.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top