Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/20/2018 7:44:49 AM EDT
... city?
I either get lost or confused almost every time.
Feel like I'm in a damn Mario Kart game.
Always lived in towns with 2500 or less people, so no crazy street signs, loops, etc.
I'm not even talking about huge cities like LA, but smaller ones like Little Rock.
Just know I'm going to crash and burn every time I go there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I survived driving in Boston when I was going to college, so no.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I use to, but now I work in the city on just about a daily basis (PM for a Mechanical Contractor). Driving in the city doesn't phase me much anymore.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Every time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in the middle of nowhere and grew up in the middle of nowhere, but work in Columbus, so the city traffic doesn’t bother me.

What does bother me is conjested interstate traffic on a long trip where the same idiots jockey for position to get one car ahead.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I started driving in the Atlanta area in 1992 and did so for the following 22 years.

Do I like it.  God, no.

The only thing you really need to know...if you miss a turn or exit, just go to the next one.  Don't freak out, stop and back up on an 8 lane interstate. I have seen it done.

Oh, and don't dither.  Make a decision and commit to it.  Lane changes especially.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I live in a town of about 4700 people.
30 miles away is Albuquerque, with > 500k people.
I grew up in Southern California, learned to drive in Los Angeles.
You people don't KNOW about traffic!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes sir, sensory overload.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I drive in NYC daily. Traffic doesn’t bother me, and i can count on one hand the number of times I’ve used my horn
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Lol no. I prefer rural driving, but I can hold my own in the busy big cities.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I lived in Kodiak and hadn't been off island in 3 yrs or so.  Life happened and i had to go to Dallas so overnight i went from my truck never making it into 6th gear because the roads aren't straight enough for long enough stretches to go that fast - to full fucking Dallas traffic.  For three years i hadnt driven *next to* anyone except at the handful of  turn lanes.

That was fucking scary.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#11]
No but the last time a drove through ATL was an experience.  Shit was like a video game.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes sir, sensory overload.
View Quote
Not a nervous wreck. I have insurance.

Most everybody else knows where they're going and in a hurry to get there. I'm watching signs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#13]
From Chicago to Tennessee to kentucky so no.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:11:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Long as I know where I'm going.
I'm good.
Take away all maps,GPS,etc.
I feel like I'm driving a humvee through Mogadishu.

Coworkers used to like fun at me,when we had to drive from work (city of 75k) to places like Jacksonville,Tampa etc.
You can push protus out of a plane into the woods.
He pack up his shoot...look around and go..
Need to head east,prolly two days walk.
But stick him downtown and he's a crying baby.

Driving doesn't bother me as I commute 80 miles a day.
Stupid people bother me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I spent my life driving in DFW. Hell hole. Retired to a small town that has exactly ONE stop sign. When we go back to DFW I get back in NASCAR mode.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I hate driving in cities.  Atlanta and Columbia are two that I visit the most.  I try to leave at least one car lengths space in front of my while doing 90 mph to keep up with traffic.  It never fails that somebody squeezes in, leaving six inches between us, while we are hauling ass.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
LA is a cake walk compared to Boston driving .

The big difference is in LA it's easy to correct a mistake on a turn you might make .

Not in Boston

Boston sucks bad
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Yup,  always gets me.  Heck, when my now ex-wife took me to Boston she got to watch me have a full blown panic attack.  LIke one person said, pure sensory overload.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#19]
When I was wet behind the ears I was nervous as fuck driving into the city, still don't enjoy it. It makes a huge difference being able to google map and satellite view your route, back in days of yore we just started driving and hoped the car wouldn't overheat in traffic.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Every time.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I grew up in a rural MO town, driving in Kansas City used to make me nervous. Then my career started requiring I make business trips to Chicago.........I am no longer nervous in KC traffic.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No but the last time a drove through ATL was an experience.  Shit was like a video game.
View Quote
I have relatives in Tennessee that go through Alabama on the way to Florida, just to avoid Atlanta. I just get in the HOV lane and pray!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I lived in L.A. for 15 years, so big city driving doesn't bother me...except in Boston. Those fuckers are insane.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LA is a cake walk compared to Boston driving .

The big difference is in LA it's easy to correct a mistake on a turn you might make .

Not in Boston

Boston sucks bad
View Quote
Yep. Look at a map of LA vs Boston.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I tend to be less relaxed but that's about it. It requires a different level of concentration. Once there for extended periods you get use to it. Then everything back home seems slow when you return.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have relatives in Tennessee that go through Alabama on the way to Florida, just to avoid Atlanta. I just get in the HOV lane and pray!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard Atlanta is the worst in the nation. I've avoided it like the plague.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn, I live near a large city and hate it, every time I drive I am a nervous wreck.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#30]
I live in a major city and even I get a nervous in driving in other major cities.

I've lived in both SD/LA and Seattle and each are completely different in every way. I can get well accustomed/comfortable driving in a big city but the moment I step into another big city it's like starting all over again.

After living somewhere else and moving back to a big city, I was a nervous wreck the first week or so back. The layouts of city, traffic rule quirks (like turning right on a red), pace of traffic, how others drive in the rain/snow, expecting other drivers' to let you in, how aggressive you need to be, etc...etc..

Every city is different.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know traffic. I lived in Long Beach for a year, and went to visit my brother in Santa Monica on the weekend they closed the 405 from the I-10 split south. So I hopped on the PCH thinking I would have a leisurely drive closer to the ocean. Turns out the Venice Beach marathon or triathlon or something was that weekend, so the PCH was closed in Venice. Soo I had to take these crazy looping detours, got lost a few times, etc. Took me 2 1/2 hours to go from Long Beach to Santa Monica when it normally takes 30 minutes.

After dealing with LA traffic for a year, helping my sister move from apartment to apartment in NYC, and visiting and moving my brother when he was in Boston, I don't care about traffic at all anymore.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Grew up in a big city, moved to a larger city, then moved into the country to get away from the city life.

Rural country road driving scares me 10x more than city driving.

The things I have seen folks do on rural roads amazes me.

My theory is this... You still have poor folks with no regard to life and shitty vehicles, but now your mixing in the high speeds of rural two lane roads. It's a recipe for disaster.

I have worked for both a suburb of a large city FD and the rural country FD, the vehicle crashes in the rural FD were far worse, far more deadly.

Speed kills, two lane less upkept roads kill, disregard to human life and crazy driving kills, drinking and driving kills.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I lived in L.A. for 15 years, so big city driving doesn't bother me...except in Boston. Those fuckers are insane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed.  Boston area traffic is nuts compared to other cities.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#34]
The first time I went down to NYC I about had a panic attack.

It doesn't bother me much now to do head into most cities now though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Yes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Normal cities and highways I'm fine but I hate getting on 695 around DC.  It's like 7 lanes and everyone is going 85mph and knows exactly where they're going but me.  I keep up with traffic but it stresses me the fuck out and I'm always afraid I'm going to miss my exit or end up on the wrong road.  I have no idea how I'd manage it without a GPS telling me where to go.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#37]
It scares the living shit out of me, so I do not go to cities now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#38]
No issues, I learned how to read.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes, hate city driving. Horrible traffic, texters, tailgaiting for no reason. Driving my brand new car in the city i need blood pressure medicine to get by.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I usually use the HOV lane.  It was 10 pm so I figured I'd mix it up.

If I'm not in a hurry I take 441 and stay off of Interstates most of the trip.  Rural GA is nice.  Most of it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I've driven in a lot of big cities and yes there is a certain heightened awareness while driving , but it doesn't freak me out. I travel to Chicago often and while I don't like it all that much , I still make it through
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
... city?
I either get lost or confused almost every time.
Feel like I'm in a damn Mario Kart game.
Always lived in towns with 2500 or less people, so no crazy street signs, loops, etc.
I'm not even talking about huge cities like LA, but smaller ones like Little Rock.
Just know I'm going to crash and burn every time I go there.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#44]
I am not a nervous wreck but prefer to stay away. After many years of living in a really small town even Lincoln, Nebraska can be annoying.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#45]
My girlfriend. From rural Oklahoma. Doesn't like driving in cities. Feels cramped and overwhelmed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bich, please.

I work in Atlanta.

When I was younger, I could keep drivers' vectors in my head which enabled me to cleverly apply techniques that got me to my destination at least thirty seconds faster than the other sumbiches.  Now that I'm older I can't keep the vectors in my head.  And too, age affords vision of its futility.  All those gymnastics we see are performed by people who are greedy and/or too stupid to see its futility.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#47]
nervous?  no

i'll roll coal on those concrete jungle faggots
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#48]
No ....
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#49]
I fear no city, but damn, Dallas on ice is memorable.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Last February I drove this from Jacksonville FL to Sante Fe NM.

I was rather concerned about rolling through Houston TX traffic.  I knew I could do it but I was seriously concerned EVERYONE ELSE didn't know how to stay the hell out of the way.  As it turns out, I was fortunate enough to get behind a semi in the center lane and just stayed there all the way from east to west.  Made it through in about 1 hour.

For the record, trying to see the Alamo was a total waste of an 2 hours.  We should not even have bothered getting off the interstate.

On a return trip from out west, that lying ass GPS took us through Memphis.  I would rather have a vasectomy and root canal on the same day rather than drive through there EVER again.

I do prefer the wide open spaces of Wyoming & Montana for driving.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top