Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2020 11:14:51 PM EDT
Kinda late to be up, so I’ll make this short.  Like the title says. National incident based reporting system.  If so, what format?  Think ours is the Mark  48. I just took a short course on it.  It really sucked balls.  Just curious as to your experience.  I’m up a couple of levels, so I’m not gonna really have to write a report with it.  I think agencies in DC, Austin, and maybe Seattle or Portland are using the Mark 48.  Thanks for any comments.  Going to bed now.  Check back in the am.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
We jumped in the NIBRS bandwagon a couple of years ago and it's not too awful.  You should have a NIBRS manual that you may need to refer to once in a while as you will initially have a few issues shoe-horning crimes and the associated information into the proper categories.  Depending on what RMS program you use, their support staff may be able to help you out if you get stuck.  Also, beware of supplementing old reports as the RMS system may require a "re-working" of the report as the square pegs won't fit into the round holes like they used to.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#2]
We went to that but we just have to use a bunch of different drop downs before our cases get approved.  Some of the errors are real retarded too.  A crime last week with firearm in the statute title gave me an error saying I was not allowed to mark it as "weapon used".
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
For us, it is a NIGHTMARE!!

Every arrest now requires a separate crime report. Every arrest must correspond to every charge in the crime report. If multiple crimes, there may need to be multiple reports based upon conflicts in the crime report software.

Could be the messy Motorola system has made it much worse than it is. I just find it odd taking a crime report for all different crimes when the state/government is the victim. It makes zero sense that the state needs to be a victim of possessing cocaine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Ours isn’t that bad because our reporting system has always sucked. So now it was just tweaked a few little ways and we go about our business.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Its horrible for us. Always getting IBR errors making it twice as long to submit the reports.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#6]
We're making the transition and it hasn't been a problem.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]
We’ve been doing NIBRS for the better part of the decade.  Originally we had it in CAPRS system, but we have since switched over to PIMS and are running NIBRS through there.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We’ve been doing NIBRS for the better part of the decade.  Originally we had it in CAPRS system, but we have since switched over to PIMS and are running NIBRS through there.
View Quote

We are using the Mark 48 platform.  I took the online tutorial.  I hope I don’t have too actually do a practice report.  I’ve never written a computer generated report.  I can use a copying machine.  I don’t know how to fax.
ETA:  seems like this is gonna turn a simple 15 minute arrest report into a 1 hour ordeal.  Especially if an arrestee has property.  Ugh!
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#10]
My agencies RMS program is ProPhoenix and NIBRS has been a major pain in the ass for us.  If there is any step along the way in ProPhoenix that doesn’t jive with NIBRS you have to go back through the entire process to try to figure out where you f’ed up.  It can make a simple theft or drug report into a three hour session of cursing and smashing your forehead into your keyboard.  I think it’s really a ProPhoenix issue but because of the added stress I hate NIBRS too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Garbage system,  half our offenses don't even match anything in NIBRS so everything is " All other Offenses"
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My agencies RMS program is ProPhoenix and NIBRS has been a major pain in the ass for us.  If there is any step along the way in ProPhoenix that doesn’t jive with NIBRS you have to go back through the entire process to try to figure out where you f’ed up.  It can make a simple theft or drug report into a three hour session of cursing and smashing your forehead into your keyboard.  I think it’s really a ProPhoenix issue but because of the added stress I hate NIBRS too.
View Quote

Even though I don’t write reports anymore, I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Garbage system,  half our offenses don't even match anything in NIBRS so everything is " All other Offenses"
View Quote

We use Southern Software.... 90Z

They don't seem to offer any sort of test bed or dummy record, so you kind of poke around, and then when you do a live report, it gets kicked back multiple times lol
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#14]
My current agency isn’t using NIBRS (at least as far as I know) but when I was a military cop our RMS had check boxes for NIBRS and DIBRS (defense incident-based reporting system). The errors caused by those 2 check boxes took longer to fix than the report took to write.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#15]
We’re using RIMS by Sun Ridge Systems. It’s a pretty user friendly system to navigate and NIBRS errors are pretty easy to fix once you get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#16]
When we switched over to PIMS, we had difficulty figuring out what had to be done to meet NIBRS requirements.  When the electronic warnings popped up, we had no idea what they were talking about.  We had to go back to the software developer and have them program in links to the section that needed to be changed.  Once they did that, it made it a lot easier to validate and submit our reports.  It sometimes doubled the time taken to write a report because we couldn’t figure out what was supposed to be where.  We’ve ironed that out now.

The only problem we now have is that literally any touching of anyone besides shaking their hand or helping them stand up now requires a use of force report.  We have to do a use of force report now for handcuffing.  NIBRS problems have now reappeared.  Yay.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Even though I don’t write reports anymore, I feel your pain.
View Quote

Every one that is in the process has to handle some part of it. Submit a warrant, change the offender status and case status. Prosecutor changes charges- you have to edit the report to match. Someone arrests him somewhere, you have to magically know and edit the crime report to show the person was arrested.

I can't imagine the audits find a high accuracy rate..... nobody has time for all that!
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We're using RIMS by Sun Ridge Systems. It's a pretty user friendly system to navigate and NIBRS errors are pretty easy to fix once you get the hang of it.
View Quote
We use RIMS too and sometimes it feels like we have to sacrifice our first born to clear the errors.  See my previous comment in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#19]
We are using the CRIMES CAD and reporting system that was developed by Sam Houston State University and the recent update to it, or our server being out of room, has slowed down the system by more than double. Couple that with the new NIBRS system being a hot, confusing pile of garbage when integrated with our CRIMES reporting system, and what used to be a 45 minute report, is now a 2-3 hr long report and my personal productivity is down dramatically as a result.

I love how if you make a narcotics arrest the dope has to be seized and not evidence, or the other way around, and on many crimes, the NIBRS stuff is just completely ridiculous. If you get someone using another persons name and DOB to hide the fact that they're a wanted fugitive, you now have to have an item of property in the property tabs that lists the quantity as "0", and the item as "identifying information" or some such other nonsense.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#20]
...we still hand write most of our reports and I have no idea how to use CAD. Some of the new guys use it though.

I may be a dinosaur.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#21]
We just started using Zuercher. The CAD screen in the cars is way too busy to try to mess with when running code and such. The report writing side requires so much data input that it trips itself up. Kinda been a pain in the butt so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top