Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2021 12:04:18 AM EDT
So what does it take to get something like that created? Seems like both GD and the DIY forums have many threads on "work benches" or garage/shop related topics.... There are other sites that have massive threads about such subjects, and have a wealth of information, why cant we? I think of ARF.Com as my go to for just about everything, from shit posting in GD, to tech forums for gun related things, hell even a bigfoot forum... Why not a dedicated forum for all things "shop/garage" related? Id much rather keep my internet traffic on a place I support ( and was founded about 8 miles as the crow flies from where I post ) rather then support some yuppie Xiden loving forum...

Mods? can we do this? whats it take? do I have to fluff a penguin?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I second that!   I'm just finishing up an addition and renovation of our house and then I'm going to figure out what I want to do with the barn.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn’t be a bad idea
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I second that!
View Quote

Thats too Fluffs for the penguin... can we get a third?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds great to me!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in.

I love working on my cars, have learned a metric shit-ton about doing it both in person and online over the past 20 years.

If there's anything I could ever pass along that helps someone, I'm all for it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wouldn’t be a bad idea
View Quote

worst case Ontario, we make a dedicated thread for a while, and see the traffic it gets and perhaps prove the need? I know I would be posting in it daily... I live in my garage, and am constantly looking for way to upgrade, and increase my productivity in my small space...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:11:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm in.

I love working on my cars, have learned a metric shit-ton about doing it both in person and online over the past 20 years.

View Quote

This would be the ticket, all things garage related, not just wood/metal working, reloading, but also a place where mechanics can hang out, and help us DIYers not get raped...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes PLEASE!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Hell even add a garage/shop Equipment Exchange while were at it... Im constantly upgrading tooling, and would rather pass on some gently used gear to like minded folks rather than take my chances on the old craigsrape...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#10]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Do-It-Yourself/139/

Have you looked in there?  Seems to be a bunch of garage/shop threads.

Edit: reread your OP and you mentioned the DIY forum. Didn't catch that the first time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:18:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm in.

View Quote

There's a cars and bikes forum with a lot of stuff like that

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Cars-andamp-Bikes/134/

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

yeah I have, but its sorta of random.... Im talking about something dedicated to shops/garages.... Not "my dryer wont spin"... Something were we can talk about tools, benches, workshops, welding, wood working, car lifts, pegboards, you name.. anything garage/shop related..
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:21:58 AM EDT
[#13]
IN.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IN.
View Quote

Im noticing a trend...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:42:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I’d like one where the shelf life is a bit longer to keep out of archive between updates.. I checked out the DIY forum, and that maybe has potential for a garage takeover if it’s not viable to get an actual garage subforum
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:52:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’d like one where the shelf life is a bit longer to keep out of archive between updates.. I checked out the DIY forum, and that maybe has potential for a garage takeover if it’s not viable to get an actual garage subforum
View Quote

The problem with the DIY forum, is that its so random... So threads like what Im suggesting that get their own forum get lost in the wash... There will be and overlap, as in most of us do not hire out to build our shops or garages.. However, It might unclog the DIY forum with some of the repeats on work benches, or garage floors... ect... I just dont know if it would get enough traffic to support its own forum or not? however there are entire websites dedicated to such things that makes me think otherwise... And in todays climate, having this forum and its members branching out into more than just firearm related forums might help our cause? I love the members here, and their collective knowledge, theres no reason to limit ourselves in my opinion...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:56:11 AM EDT
[#17]
we wont fight city hall with out a bump here and there...  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:58:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Wouldn't mind it myself.  Finally have a real garage, and bend my own wrenches(within reason....some jobs need a pro).
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:02:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wouldn't mind it myself.  Finally have a real garage, and bend my own wrenches(within reason....some jobs need a pro).
View Quote

things change when a man finally has his own space to create/fix/destroy.... I think our fore fathers missed and very important amendment, as I think all man need a space in which to do work, free from woman and their negativity...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hell even add a garage/shop Equipment Exchange while were at it... Im constantly upgrading tooling, and would rather pass on some gently used gear to like minded folks rather than take my chances on the old craigsrape...
View Quote

I like it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't seen how your set up turned out, looked amazing but can't find the thread.
@NoStockBikes
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Great idea OP.....

Count me in....!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Daytime bump..
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like a good idea
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes PLEASE!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ll carry the motion!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#28]
GD has to have a place to show of it's Harbor Freight purchases!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I enjoy Garage Journal. I enjoy the nature of GD and welcome a hybrid GJ+GD=

Gotta have some place to show off our Chinese stuff after hating on the Chinese in other threads.

I collect mostly vintage US tools of all kinds. Harbor Freight recently stole my money in the form of some rolling tool chests. One 44", two 22", and one 5-drawer roller cart.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I lile both ideas.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I second that!   I'm just finishing up an addition and renovation of our house and then I'm going to figure out what I want to do with the barn.
View Quote

Third.  There is a decent group on FB.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm for it.

Maybe edit the thread and add a poll.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Third.  There is a decent group on FB.
View Quote

Formerly Average Middle Class Garage Goals?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I enjoy Garage Journal. I enjoy the nature of GD and welcome a hybrid GJ+GD=

Gotta have some place to show off our Chinese stuff after hating on the Chinese in other threads.

I collect mostly vintage US tools of all kinds. Harbor Freight recently stole my money in the form of some rolling tool chests. One 44", two 22", and one 5-drawer roller cart.
View Quote

Garage Journal has cost me more money then several lifetimes worth of arfcom.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

yeah I have, but its sorta of random.... Im talking about something dedicated to shops/garages.... Not "my dryer wont spin"... Something were we can talk about tools, benches, workshops, welding, wood working, car lifts, pegboards, you name.. anything garage/shop related..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some things are better posted in GD, like the dryer, you will have to milk that shit to page 2 sometimes but the responce times are much faster. I like the idea of anything shop and garage related but once they move stuff out of the mainstream it dies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes please
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I'd like it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#39]
We cover a lot of that in DIY sub forum but heck... why not.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I'd like to see this happen.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I am in the process of trying to have a workshop built.

Due to frame construction costs, it appears that some type of metal building is in order.

I have been looking at metal frame structures, but would also like to know about red iron building costs.

Seems no one wants to tell you anything right now to actually be able to plan a project . I am specifically concerned about moisture issues common in metal buildings

Any insight?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I assume there already is one & no one can find it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I look forward to reading endless arguments about standard vs metric.

So, it's a yes vote from me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Not that it matters, but I'd be for it.

Roll the metalworking subforum into it.

I spend 80% of my time in my shop when I am home.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I kind of like the idea of it, but I think subforums are highly underutilized. It's a part of GD. Find a thread you are interested in, subscribe, and keep it alive. A dedicated shop BS thread would be cool too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Garage Journal has cost me more money then several lifetimes worth of arfcom.

View Quote

You and me both... arfcom is where I come when Im broke lol....
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I am in the process of trying to have a workshop built.

Due to frame construction costs, it appears that some type of metal building is in order.

I have been looking at metal frame structures, but would also like to know about red iron building costs.

Seems no one wants to tell you anything right now to actually be able to plan a project . I am specifically concerned about moisture issues common in metal buildings

Any insight?
View Quote

We're talking about things that happen INSIDE the shop/garage.  

The answer you seek is here...

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I haven't seen how your set up turned out, looked amazing but can't find the thread.
@NoStockBikes
View Quote

@timeless

This is version 2.0, first one fell into archives waiting for inspections and stuff.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Pandemic-Garage-Build-Redux-1-25-bar-cabinets/5-2373125/

I wonder if that link will break next time I edit the title?

The upside of a subforum, new or invaded, is a thread wouldn’t get buried 10 pages back in an hour and a half.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I would be in
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top