Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I have squirrels that eat the bark off the branches in my oak tree. They also eat my peaches and apples, often the last ones.  They get in my bird feeders, and other obnoxious squirrel things.

I use a live trap with dried corn on the cob as bait, take them down to the shed, and shoot them in the head with my pellet pistol.  Then they go in the trash on trash day.

There's a never ending supply of the little bastards and they're not an endangered species (except on my property.)  I feel no remorse.  When I remove them, I know there are others that will take their place.  I'm ready.

Good luck, OP.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Conibear 110
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In my squirrel eradication efforts, I've discovered a few things. Hitting a moving squirrel with a 177 pellet rifle is very hard. (Can't use a shotgun as I'm in city limits.)

Solution. Think back to deer hunting over bait (illegal now). So I made a little stand with a cup to hold bait. The squirrels feel more comfortable off the ground, they stay in one spot eating their last meal of Planters unsalted peanuts.

They sit still well enough all I have to do is time the shot for when they lift their head to eat. Wack! One shot between the eyes. DRT.

I'm up too 5 this week alone.
View Quote

Them's good eating.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
A few years ago we were hit with a tsunami of squirrels and they were into everything.
Allowing nuisance animals to trap themselves is the simple method.

This
Live Trap
using PB&J in a condiment cup for bait is effectively a squirrel vacuum.
It's quick, easy and quiet.

Close one side and put the bait under the closed door so they have to go across the trip plate.
When you hear a ruckus in the trap, go dispatch the squirrel with a Colibri or pellet gun.
Fold down the tabs on the closed door to keep it closed and use a stick or dowel across the other door
to keep it closed when you turn the trap on its side to dispatch the squirrel, out of view of neighbors.

139 squirrels down and counting.

We quickly and quietly solved a problem with 9 Raccoons using same bait in a 'Havahart 1079'.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Flaming Squirrel from Amazon.  Mix into some bird seed and they won’t even come in your yard after they get a taste.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Rat traps on a bird feeder post:

https://i.imgur.com/BAGmNKO.jpg

One good tree rat.
View Quote

Brilliant.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Everybody: shut your pie holes and listen up! I've cracked the code on how to solve squirrel issues. Make a rugged feeding platform (plywood) with a backstop on the feeder approx. 10" high (backstop height). The height you mount the feeder is up to you, and depends on what is behind where you are shooting. Place it within 8' of your sliding door or window. No further than 8'!

Get BLACK OIL SUNFLOWER SEEDS. Very important. These are CRACK COCAINE to squirrels. Feed them for several weeks and every squirrel within a mile will be on that feeder. On the killing day, hang a sheet over the door/adjacent windows and leave the door cracked 1-2". The sheet keeps you hidden. If you shoot with the barrel barely outside the door it is quite quiet.

THEN get your .22 and use CCI .22LR #12 shot, 31 grain, 1000 FPS. Shoot all squirrels in the head/shoulder area. After the squirrelpocalypse, you will not see another squirrel for 3-4 months.

Repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Conibear 110
View Quote

This.. smear peanut butter on the triggers and stab a small piece of slim Jim on each trigger..
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What do you do about the cats shitting all over your landscaping?
View Quote

Around here, the cats cover their shit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Smear peanut butter all over your deck. That'll teach em
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rat traps on a bird feeder post:

https://i.imgur.com/BAGmNKO.jpg

One good tree rat.
View Quote

lol, I love it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I broke out my Beeman pellet gun this week for a little quality time with squirrels chewing on the drip irrigation tubing, only to discover the piston seal failed. It turns out the riifle was made in Spain and the only place I found replacement parts Wes in Australia. Hopefully the parts will be in in a week or two.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That is amazing news for those of us that have been successfully hunting squirrels with .22s for decades.  Might I suggest more time on the range before hunting season.
View Quote

I nail them with a .177 pellet at 80 to 100 feet all the time. The first round causes them to pause for a while giving plenty of time for a follow up shot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Shoot a couple and crucify them as a warning to the others.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Arsenic on the spots they chew works great
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#16]
two wires and high voltage....
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#18]
This is a first for me. I’ve never seen a squirrel chew up a porch. I wonder why they are doing that?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is a first for me. I’ve never seen a squirrel chew up a porch. I wonder why they are doing that?
View Quote

That is weird. Our tree rats sit on the steps/porch while I'm at work eating pine cones, leaving the mess to taunt me. At camp, porcupines chew on the deck, they especially like where we piss off it. They gnaw on the outhouse door as well.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That is amazing news for those of us that have been successfully hunting squirrels with .22s for decades.  Might I suggest more time on the range before hunting season.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trying to hit a squirrel on the move with a 22 is hard.  Trying to hit it while it running away from you with a 22 is even harder.  Get a shotgun.  I prefer 4 shot, but 6 shot will work too.  410, 20 or 12 will all work.  If a fox squirrel, nothing above a 4 shot … they will laugh at you and may come back and have their way with you.

I’m sorry … I must have missed where I said it couldn’t be done. I suggested the appropriate tool for the job. Sure you can break out your drive way with a hammer but why not use a sledge and make the job easier.

I swear, I love GD where everyone has to have a dick measuring contest when they clearly have reading comprehension issues.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been shooting squirrels for almost 60yrs, with my .177cal Benjamin pump rifle. Just zapped one, yesterday, and left him in the yard. His carcass was gone, this morning.
My Benjamin is so quiet, with 2-3 pumps, that my neighbors don't even seem to notice.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Better aim
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wondered why they were doing it too after catching them and online info says to clean, sharpen and maintain their teeth.  

I'm keeping the SR22 loaded and suppressed and nearby in case I see them again, but I went out yesterday and soaked the hell out of the area they have taken a shine to on the step and chewed the crap out of and soaked it with Ortho Home Defense bug spray to make it taste shitty.  Haven't heard any chewing since.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Firepower.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got one of these. It's pretty effective.
I didn't pay anything for it so I think it's a pretty good deal.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've got one of these. It's pretty effective.
I didn't pay anything for it so I think it's a pretty good deal.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/505154/P1020749r_JPG-2390710.JPG
View Quote

I haven't seen one of those since our chickens went away, but I'm sure they're around. I'd think with those, coyotes and raptors we'd be bereft of tree rats, alas, no.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I found that the store critter spray was useless, as I woke up the other morning to hear the grinding of squirrel teeth against the step.  Got out there and it darted around a tree.  I ended up trying an online DIY spray calling for 4 cups of water, 3 drops of dish detergent and an ounce of hot sauce and so far, I haven't heard them going at it.  The suppressed .22 is close at hand and ready to go if I do hear them chewing.

I heard a thumping noise last week and went out and could see fur through the crack between boards on the first step, so I went back in and grabbed the gun.  When I came out, a groundhog darted out the other side and went around the house.  Great, now I have BIGGER rat bastards to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had squirrel problems once.  The ones I did not get with a .177 RWS Diana got live trapped and taken for a ride.  Cleaned them out in about two weeks.  Of course others eventually moved back in but were not a problem.
View Quote

@cosmo05

Which did you get?
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#31]
@TontoGoldstein

I got this #48 type, but it was a breech break and scoped it one but the one I have is discontinued.  

They are available used, this is it.

Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Benjamin .22 is what I use to stop them from chewing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I used to have those fucks running around all over the roof eves and trees. You start killing them and they really get the message.

A pellet gun will do you wonders OP
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I used to have those fucks running around all over the roof eves and trees. You start killing them and they really get the message.

A pellet gun will do you wonders OP
View Quote

I've got one of these, a break barrel that is supposed to be 625 fps.  Need to get it sighted in a bit.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Brocock .22 suppressed PCP, real accurate out to around 100 yards.

The little gray bastards and their flicker friends don't like my place anymore.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#37]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

This thing works. I've had one for over 2 years and have caught well over 50 squirrels. You can either "dispatch" them or drive about 5 miles away and release them
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#39]
@TontoGoldstein ... I...have...the...Diana...RWS...Panther....It...is...a...tack...driver...and...very...solid....However,...it...is...very...heavy....If...you...are...going...to...be...walking...and...shooing,...get...a...Gamo...Whisper....Shooting...from...a...rest?...The...Diana...is...great....I...use...Beeman...Extra...Heavy...match...pellets...(.177)
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top