Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2022 9:57:57 AM EDT
I started going to Planet Fatness, and lets just say I don't think I would really trust their trainers to design a workout program for me. Are there any good apps that I can input my info and goals, and would create a trust worthy program for me? Or should I maybe look for a stand alone personal trainer?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#1]
There are prepared workout plans on bodybuilding.com that are a good start, you can use the phone app or print off website.   Edit: just looked and not a free service anymore.  The personal trainer would stress diet changes that people that are trying to plan themselves are less likely to follow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I know some people don't like him, but Athlean X's Youtube channel has free workouts on there. Good variation of exercises and he explains why you would or wouldn't want to do a specific exercise, and how to do it so you can reduce the chance of injuring yourself. He also has a video series of worst-to-best ranking of exercises for specific muscle groups. You can always change up a routine in the former videos with an exercise from the latter videos.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't feel comfortable programming for yourself, you should pick one that's already tried and proven.

There's tons of free ones for every goal.

Define your goal, how many days you can work out, and how long you want your workouts to be and it will narrow the list of programs considerably, then you just pick one that looks good.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you don't feel comfortable programming for yourself, you should pick one that's already tried and proven.

Define your goal, how many days you can work out, and how long you want your workouts to be and it will narrow the list of programs considerably, then you just pick one that looks good.
View Quote

100% this!!!

I personally recommend starting strength and taking it as far as you can first.  From there you can move to a proven intermediate power lifting program or move over to more of a body building type program if you like.  Either way I think starting strength is the best beginning regardless of where your goals are it builds that foundation.

Plenty of other proven programs out there that would serve you well though.   Don't overlook a proper diet and sleep schedule.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

100% this!!!

I personally recommend starting strength and taking it as far as you can first.  From there you can move to a proven intermediate power lifting program or move over to more of a body building type program if you like.  Either way I think starting strength is the best beginning regardless of where your goals are it builds that foundation.

Plenty of other proven programs out there that would serve you well though.   Don't overlook a proper diet and sleep schedule.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% this!!!

Starting strength isn't for everyone though. Former athletes don't really need it, and people that get easily bored don't really need it. Especially if the goal isn't particularly strength oriented. It skips over GPP entirely, and turns into a grind quickly. Most people don't run it correctly anyway, you are supposed to go hard and fast with it, and after 8-12 weeks when you start to stall, you are done, move on. Too many people run right into a wall full speed then back and up and do it again for months on that program, I have no idea why.

Ivysaur 448, Greyskull with some plug ins or GZLP are decent alternatives because they give you a much better built in gauge for progress, teach you more than one way to progress, and are more versatile in what you can focus on. Greyskull is kind of what I circle back around to when I need to jump back in, pushing one set hard and have that rep PR each workout is a lot more motivating than hitting 5's and calling it a day.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Starting strength isn't for everyone though. Former athletes don't really need it, and people that get easily bored don't really need it. Especially if the goal isn't particularly strength oriented. It skips over GPP entirely, and turns into a grind quickly. Most people don't run it correctly anyway, you are supposed to go hard and fast with it, and after 8-12 weeks when you start to stall, you are done, move on. Too many people run right into a wall full speed then back and up and do it again for months on that program, I have no idea why.

Ivysaur 448, Greyskull with some plug ins or GZLP are decent alternatives because they give you a much better built in gauge for progress, teach you more than one way to progress, and are more versatile in what you can focus on. Greyskull is kind of what I circle back around to when I need to jump back in, pushing one set hard and have that rep PR each workout is a lot more motivating than hitting 5's and calling it a day.
View Quote

I been through wrestling workouts for years and then years of weight training after that before I ran starting strength.  I still believe it’s the best thing I ever did.  When I stalled on it I reset my weights lower and kept going then broke through that wall and stalled again.  Then I reset lower and took another run at it and again broke through that wall.

I think doing that back then is why I can still lift heavy at 47 years old and never had a significant injury.  

It’s about building that foundation of strength that will help you no matter what your end goals are.

I’m just a little dude at 5’7” 165 and about 8 percent body fat currently.  At that size and my age my total is still around 1200 even though I’ve been doing bodybuilding type things for the last year.  I believe starting strength has a lot to do with my success.  

I even went back later and ran starting strength again once when I needed something to follow when my motivation was lacking.  It’s a perfectly designed beginner program.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I been through wrestling workouts for years and then years of weight training after that before I ran starting strength.  I still believe it’s the best thing I ever did.  When I stalled on it I reset my weights lower and kept going then broke through that wall and stalled again.  Then I reset lower and took another run at it and again broke through that wall.

I think doing that back then is why I can still lift heavy at 47 years old and never had a significant injury.  

It’s about building that foundation of strength that will help you no matter what your end goals are.

I’m just a little dude at 5’7” 165 and about 8 percent body fat currently.  At that size and my age my total is still around 1200 even though I’ve been doing bodybuilding type things for the last year.  I believe starting strength has a lot to do with my success.  

I even went back later and ran starting strength again once when I needed something to follow when my motivation was lacking.  It’s a perfectly designed beginner program.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look up Cody LeFever and GZLP. Bromely talks about it too. Starting strength doesn't end up being a strength builder as much as it's a strength tester, which is why some guys seem to take it much farther than others before stalling.

I won't say it's bad, just that there's a lot better.

For me, grinding 5's has never worked. I've tried it with both SL and SS, and both of them beat the fuck out of me once working sets get too close to 5RM, and a reset doesn't do anything because there's no measure for progress. It's incredibly discouraging to ramp back up and fail near the same weight again.

I always feel the best and seem to progress the best when working for a single hard set of the day and them pushing more volume to finish. Me and Greyskull get along well.

Granted my goals have never been strength, at least not more than I need day to day. A 2x BW deadlift for reps is fine with me, keeps my back safe at work.

Running BBB for a few cycles was probably when I looked and felt my best, and you are using relatively light weights for most of the sets on those days.

Lately I've been adopting more principles from Dan John. I got into lifting late (I have always been an athlete though) and made the mistake of acting like I was 20 when I was pushing 30. Starting strength is great for super weak people I think, and make good after a long layoff to test where you should be at over the course of several weeks, other than that, I think there's just more productive and more enjoyable options for the bulk of people and their goals.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Look up Cody LeFever and GZLP. Bromely talks about it too. Starting strength doesn't end up being a strength builder as much as it's a strength tester, which is why some guys seem to take it much farther than others before stalling.

For me, grinding 5's has never worked. I've tried it with both SL and SS, and both of them beat the fuck out of me once working sets get too close to 5RM, and a reset doesn't do anything because there's no measure for progress. It's incredibly discouraging to ramp back up and fail near the same weight again.

I always feel the best and seem to progress the best when working for a single hard set of the day and them pushing more volume to finish. Me and Greyskull get along well.

Granted my goals have never been strength, at least not more than I need day to day. A 2x BW deadlift for reps is fine with me, keeps my back safe at work.

Running BBB for a few cycles was probably when I looked and felt my best, and you are using relatively light weights for most of the sets on those days.

Lately I've been adopting more principles from Dan John. I got into lifting late (I have always been an athlete though) and made the mistake of acting like I was 20 when I was pushing 30. Starting strength is great for super weak people I think, and make good after a long layoff to test where you should be at over the course of several weeks, other than that, I think there's just more productive and more enjoyable options for the bulk of people and their goals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opinions vary...

Benching nearly 2x body weight and deadlifting 3x body weight at 47 years old while being 8 percent body fat, but hey I guess that's easy when you're only 165 pounds like I am LOL.  I still to this day use 5 rep sets on the big 3 compounds as a primary part of my routine.  I just don't linearly progress at this point obviously and do a lot more assistance work in the 12-15 rep ranges as well.   Still lifting 5 days a week although a couple days are lighter with one being arms only.  I'm into looks now, but a 1200 total is still not to bad for a 165 lbs 47 year old.  If I went on a bulk and put the effort in I could probably do better, but like you at my old age strength isn't everything as long as I'm relatively strong.  

My point is starting strength worked for me and I wasn't even a novice at the time I used it.  I've done smolov jr for both bench and squat many years ago as well.  Also did one of the sheiko programs minus the good mornings back in the day also.  That kind of volume is admittedly too much for me now as an old man.  These days I don't use anyone else's program and just created my own more of a power builder I guess while lifting heavy 5 rep sets on the compounds while doing body building type things as well.

I don't believe starting strength is the be all end all answer for everyone by any means but it does work if done correctly and certainly built my foundation that got me where I am today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top