Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2018 9:55:11 PM EDT
I've been fixing our upstairs bathroom and unfortunately I after replacing the tub and shower, I am short on wall tiles.

Anyone have advice on finding a match for old 1950's (or perhaps older) wall tile? I am short probably about 8 square feet, some of it being edge pieces.

It is stamped on the back "4 Wenczel 35 33"

I was hoping to leave the tile alone other than fixing this one area, as it is inoffensive and fits with the rest of the house. if I can't match it, this becomes a much bigger project.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You’ll have a hard time matching.  Check out american olean wall tile, i remember them making something similar.

We use to do piles of the salt/pepper look in the 90’s...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Around here we have several seconds and surplus stores that sell some older stuff. I would ask around for something similar. One place sells wood and other stuff from demo'd buildings.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Best bet is steal some from your neighbor's house.

More than likely it was used all over the neighborhood, look around and you might get lucky.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]
ebay?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
No way to just use some decorative pieces to create a new pattern and change it up just a little?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Look in the attic, under the house, in garage.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Check Ebay
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, recently found some tiles from three tile jobs ago next to the boiler chimney in the attic.

Anytime I do a tile job or laminate job for myself I always buy an extra box just in case something goes wrong.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ya. Any chance you could modify the design and steal the prices you need from somewhere else?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
You could use a contrasting color or a tile with some design on it. A random black tile here and there is "artsy". A few that dont quite match might stand out just as much and look like a failed attempt.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Found some of that brand & vintage on Etsy - but in a shocking pink

Ya reckon the universe is trying to tell you something?

Trawl the sites like Etsy, Gumtree, Craigslist, etc.
Good luck
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Build a circle k or tesoro around your bathroom. Pretty soon everything will be covered in graffiti, shit, blood, and piss. Then you don't really need to worry about matching tiles.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Can you share a pic of the area that is missing tiles?  Might help with the ideas.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Vintage Tile in Sacramento, Calif 916-451-8424 Have to call no website.
Had some commercial tile that was from the 60's that a friend got from them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
No sign of anything.

close, but the speckling is a bit too distinct on these.

Quoted:

Ya. Any chance you could modify the design and steal the prices you need from somewhere else?
View Quote
This is plan C. There is an area on the other side of the room where I can pull tile and make some custom shelves.

This looks to be really close! We'll call this plan B.

Quoted:
Vintage Tile in Sacramento, Calif 916-451-8424 Have to call no website.
Had some commercial tile that was from the 60's that a friend got from them.
View Quote
I'll call them this morning. Plan A is get the actual tile, and they might be my best bet.

Thanks all, this site is great.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Even if you find the same tile the odds of it being the same shade are really slim. I remember that tile as being a consistent shade so having a few of a different shade would really stand out. Hard for me to tell from here. Worth a try of course, and the end results will have a lot to do with your expectations.

My expectations are low.

My house has almost no tile, and the bit it does have I didn't install. That said, I'm a tile setter with extensive repair and remodel experience.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd just give it up. Don't waste your time and get something else.

Tile is produced in big production runs. Once the run is out, they never make it again. You can usually only get it for a short time. And it may be a different lot number at best.

I do flooring demo and a ton of our work, is becuase of damage, remodel constuction, ect., and they can't match the tile. Without having the material left over from the original installation, no one ever matches them. Attic or basement stock is very important when dealing with tile over the long term.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Even if you find the same tile the odds of it being the same shade are really slim. I remember that tile as being a consistent shade so having a few of a different shade would really stand out. Hard for me to tell from here. Worth a try of course, and the end results will have a lot to do with your expectations.

My expectations are low.

My house has almost no tile, and the bit it does have I didn't install. That said, I'm a tile setter with extensive repair and remodel experience.
View Quote
I literally can't count how many times I've torn out a great looking floor, where the last 3 tiles of the job are from a different lot number. Installer didn't order enough. Gets one more box off the shelf to finish the job. Missmatched sheen, color, hue, depth, texture, clear thickness, edge curl, ect, and the floor is rejected by the customer and the entire thing is pulled.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Those are some dipshits, click.

My operation can almost always find a current tile lot match. May take awhile to o get it, but almost always can find it.

We raise holy hell about being short.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top