Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2019 7:17:37 PM EDT
We have Bell's Vireos around our home (Austin) most of the year.

Over the last few months, I have been visited regularly by this one.  I believe it is female (they have a distinctive chirp and the males "sing" all the time, but this one is silent), but am not sure.  At any rate, I have named her "Bell."

Bell is very friendly.  She will land on my arm, on my shoulder, occasionally fly towards my face, hover for a second, then roost on the arm of the chair next to me, etc.  This photo was taken with my phone, about four inches away, and she did not move away.

Is this normal for a wild bird of this species?  I have never seen anything like this up until now.

Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s rabid bro.

Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s rabid bro.

View Quote
Hope not.  As much as "she" has pecked at my fingers, I should be dead by now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
She has most likely been hand tamed by another bird lover and is expecting to be fed. Have you been feeding her too?  There’s nothing particularly wrong with it. I’ve gained the trust of several wrens over the years that were born in my houses along the back fence.  I have on occasion lost their trust by doing something to scare them by accident and they never again will come to me. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably used to being fed by another bird lover.
My mom used to have all sorts of wild birds on her back patio she hand fed
She lived not far from Austin.
Moved on to you for whatever reasons.
Cool pics.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She has most likely been hand tamed by another bird lover and is expecting to be fed. Have you been feeding her too?  There’s nothing particularly wrong with it. I’ve gained the trust of several wrens over the years that were born in my houses along the back fence.  I have on occasion lost their trust by doing something to scare them by accident and they never again will come to me. Enjoy.
View Quote
I have not fed her.  They seem to eat mostly bugs.  (And she is very efficient at grabbing them out of the air.)  Don't have any bugs to feed her.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Just want to thank y'all again for enlightening me about this little critter.

You were correct.  She is spoiled.  And she has become a pain in the ass, with her constant demands for food.

I have had to put a new line in my bi-weekly budget for meal worms from Wild Birds Unlimited.

Not complaining really.  Just a new learning experience.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top