Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2022 12:53:46 AM EDT
I have a Trek 1.1 which is their bottom of the line road bike from 2015.  Since new I have ridden it around 1100 miles, and when I just took it in to have the bottom bracket looked at (loose & creaky) they gave me a list of things that are worn or shot on the bike.  That list included chain and cassette.  

Trek website says the cassette is a Sunrace CSR86 11-28 and chain is a Sunrace CNM84.

Should I order these exact ones to replace them or is there some other/better option I should get instead?
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:36:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ASUsax] [#1]
Sunrace isn't exactly top of the line gear.

And 1100 miles isn't much. You should get a couple thousand out of a chain, and unless the chain is absolute garbage, you should get many chains out of a cassette.

That said, a quick google search shows that to be a 8-speed setup*. You'll have a hard time finding good parts; they just don't make good parts in 8-speed.

*-And an MTB setup at that. Only after I replied did I realize that this is for a road bike.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:42:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flgfish] [#2]
Your cassette is probably fine.   Chains can and do wear out, especially if you’re not maintaining it regularly.  There are gauges to measure wear.
Any 8-speed chain will do fine.  You don’t need to replace it with a Sunrace.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
They have a guage for chain wear. Have them show you the reading.
If you are a monster and can wear out a cassette in 1100 miles you probably already know when to change it.
Regular casual rider should be getting ~5-7k out of a cassette unless there is some type of bearing failure.
I know a guy that changes chains about 3k and cassets at around 4-5k, he is a machine, super strong and rides around 12k/year.

These are my opinions.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#4]
You could replace them with equivalent Shimano 8 speed stuff --- its not that hard to find
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
get a chain gauge and watch a video on changing cassette.I think my shop wanted $75 to replace a casette I did it for $19 and $15 in speciality tools of ebay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top