Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2023 9:04:16 AM EDT

If so, what’s your specific routine?

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 12:15:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I did "Heavy Duty" style stuff when I was introduced to Dorian Yates and his training style when I was bodybuilding in college.

Now I thought true Mentzer stuff was one body part per day? I thought Arthur Jones said you should be so destroyed from those one or two working sets you couldn't do anything else?

I could be mistaken. But sorry I can't help more.

Back when I was training bodybuilding, my split that I was most successful with was day 1 chest, day 2 legs, day 3 back, day 4 bis\tris.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 1:00:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m familiar with Mentzers program and currently using a modified program based on his principles. Early results are promising, but I’m no expert and there are many others more informed and I am.

- It seems more oriented to bodybuilding rather than strength

- Wendlers 5/3/1 program worked best for me in terms of strength gain and PRs

- I have a habit of overtraining, so Mentzers program appealed to me with its emphasis on not over training

The key to Mentzer’s program is approaching the workout with the right mental attitude. I take 3-4 days off between workouts. That means you may only end up lifting on one day of a week - this is a big mindset change! You have to be prepared to go to failure and make the workout count. Every last rep of each set should be at failure point. This is more about mental blocks than anything else.

I do 3 to 4 exercises per workout, 3 sets with moderately high reps, around 8-12. You find some of his videos where he advocates only 1 or 2 sets, but I didn’t feel that I was pushing the intensity I needed with only 1-2 sets.

A: Chest
Dead stop benchpress: 3 sets
Incline dumbbell press: 2 sets
Dips: 3 sets weighted, 1 set body weight

B: Legs
Squats: 4 sets
Weighted Lunges for distance: 25m x 2
Military press: 3 sets
Shoulders flys: 3 sets

C: Back
Deadlifts: 2 sets
Bent over rows: 3 sets
Pull ups: 3 sets weighted, 1 set body weight

Accessory workouts for neck, forearms/grips, and serape for BJJ depending on time/feel for that workout day.

The intensity (to failure) and extended rest periods, are really the key points to Mentzers philosophy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top