Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2019 1:18:07 PM EDT
I recently discovered a program called Guitarix.  It's free and runs off of linux.  It's not too resource dependent, and I'm running it fine an older AMD X25000 cpu with acceptable latency.

Cool thing about it is it's a simulated rack with a tuner, and you can select tube types in the amp, simulated cabinets, and chain a bunch of effects before or after the preamp stage.

Just curious if anyone has tried it, and which configurations they've tried.  Right now I've been pretty content with an AC30 type setup with a ProCo Rat and a little bit of reverb.  I like it because it makes learning how to play cool again.

One thing I discovered was an dedicated sound card produces less input noise than the cheap onboard sound card on the motherboard.  Not sure if that's an impedance issue.

https://guitarix.org/

I installed mine from the Ubuntu app store.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 2:55:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of it. But yeah, your input source will make a big difference, largely due to the A/D (analog to digital) converter(s). Other components make a difference, but the converters make the biggest difference.

For example, when I installed Line 6 Helix Native I first tried a Line 6 UX2 interface that I've had for years. Sounded like crap. Didn't even sound close to my Helix. So I did a little research and bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Made a world of difference.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 12:19:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I watched some Youtube videos to see how others get around the issue, and a dedicated 1/4" to usb dedicated capture source is the preferred method.

I also saw a video on how to integrate Guitarix in to a recording /editing suite.  The idea of laying down multi-track recordings or playing along with a loop sounds cool, however I think I should stick with the basics for now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 1:10:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I watched some Youtube videos to see how others get around the issue, and a dedicated 1/4" to usb dedicated capture source is the preferred method.
View Quote
I think you're talking about an interface (they've been around for a long time). Just go to Sweetwater.com , musiciansfriend.com , or guitarcenter.com and search for USB , or FireWire, or Lightning Bolt interfaces. There's gobs of them out there, and the UX2 and Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 I mentioned are interfaces.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think you're talking about an interface (they've been around for a long time). Just go to Sweetwater.com , musiciansfriend.com , or guitarcenter.com and search for USB , or FireWire, or Lightning Bolt interfaces. There's gobs of them out there, and the UX2 and Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 I mentioned are interfaces.
View Quote
I can tell you around here, every pawn shop has stacks of focusrite Scarlett's of various models. I attribute it to lots of folks using them and not any deficiencies with the product. I imagine a good deal could be made there... I've noticed most of the workarounds involve some really bad latency so a quality interface is key.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 1:42:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!  That's good to know.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I can tell you around here, every pawn shop has stacks of focusrite Scarlett's of various models. I attribute it to lots of folks using them and not any deficiencies with the product. I imagine a good deal could be made there... I've noticed most of the workarounds involve some really bad latency so a quality interface is key.
View Quote
Those are probably first gen Scarletts. They recently came out with the second gen, so I imagine folks are unloading the old ones. Which is kinda stupid, because even brand new, the old versions are excellent for the money.

And if someone has latency issues with one, it's probably because of their buffer settings. That's what it's been with me, regardless of whichever interface I was using.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting, if I didn't already have Guitar Rig that I've paid for and now a Line 6 Helix, I'd check it out.  Would FINALLY give me a use for Linux...
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting, if I didn't already have Guitar Rig that I've paid for and now a Line 6 Helix, I'd check it out.  Would FINALLY give me a use for Linux...
View Quote
After I installed it on my project desktop, I also installed it on a ten year old laptop just to see how it would run.  Runs low enough latency, and is nice to practice with headphones or with a set of external speakers if you want a bigger amp sound without cranking it up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Anybody successfully using Guitarix on a Mac?  The only installer I found seems to be for OS 10.6 and I can't get it to behave properly... and I don't have the brain cells to compile from the source code.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for the heads up op, ill check it out
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Not that particular suite, nor on Linux (although I used to run it about ...15 years ago).  But I have BIAS FX, FX2, and AMP PRO2.  I use a PreSonus Studio 2|6 usb interface, and Reaper is my DAW.  It all runs great, and I have a few other VSTs and IR loaders I use.  I run all that on a MS Surface Pro 2 tablet!

When that doesn't cut it....well, that's when I power up the Dual Rectifier and 2x12 (which I have mic'ed with a e609 into said USB interface)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top