Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2020 1:25:11 PM EDT
Been a fan since the old SYL days.  He's working on a series of online benefit concerts be help various Hospitals.  Here's the first one from last week or so.  Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, he's playing to backing tracks but it's still a great performance.

QUARANTINE CONCERT #1: Benefit for Vancouver Hospital Foundation

Edited.  Had wrong link.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't like him when I first heard him on the Vai album Sex and Religion. On his own or with SYL, I can dig it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I seriously just finished watching that one only to have part two drop like 15 minutes ago,

QUARANTINE CONCERT #2: NHS (Fixed Audio)
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:18:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I seriously just finished watching that one only to have part two drop like 15 minutes ago,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv4RqR0ud2g
View Quote

I think the first one was better but there were some technical difficulties going on today.
He was going to play here in Nashville this month but the tour got cancelled. So bummed.   Screw you china!

Was glad to see him rocking a boog shirt.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I never really liked his (or Vai's) style of music but sheez he can sing (and unquestionably he can play quitar at Ninja level). I can appreciate his production abilities too after that DT Project stuff.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I respect the hell out of his abilities, he's very talented and can make some very impressive music, but it's not what I wanna listen to.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Love me some DT. Was supposed to see him in Minneapolis last month but China ruined that. Been a fan of his since the SYL days.

The newest album isn't clicking with me. I haven't really even learned the song names, but the one with the video of the space cat feels like it was a 30 minute project...the song just felt flat and didn't go anywhere.

Sky Blue stayed in my truck's CD player for about a year and a half, constant play. Devin + Anneke is some gooooood shit.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The Retinal Circus is a must-have for any Dev fans.

Here we have the giant disembodied head of Mr Vai, our narrator through the entire ordeal, instructing Anneke to kick off "Grace"

"Grace" (The Retinal Circus) Official Promo Video

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love me some DT. Was supposed to see him in Minneapolis last month but China ruined that. Been a fan of his since the SYL days.

The newest album isn't clicking with me. I haven't really even learned the song names, but the one with the video of the space cat feels like it was a 30 minute project...the song just felt flat and didn't go anywhere.

Sky Blue stayed in my truck's CD player for about a year and a half, constant play. Devin + Anneke is some gooooood shit.

View Quote

Love me some Anneke!!

His new stuff is actually pretty good. Singularity gets my vote for best track of the last year.  Vai has a cameo solo about twenty or so minutes into the piece.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#9]
For those that swear he uses a drum machine.

Hear Me.
Devin Townsend - "Hear Me" - DRUMS
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Love Devin, Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Part three!
QUARANTINE CONCERT #3 - NSUH
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#12]
New video for Sprite.
DEVIN TOWNSEND - Sprite (OFFICIAL VIDEO)
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:16:57 AM EDT
[#13]
"Found" Devin last fall. Immediately bought all of his albums. I've worn out the Live Plovdiv and Royal Albert Hall shows on YouTube. Watched Quarantine live performances too. Dude always kills it, and is funny and humble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top