Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 2:35:02 AM EDT
I remember watching this on the TV when I got home from school,  It really blew my mind back then still does.  The dude with the Port Said and the guy holding what was left  of his arm is what I remember most.   Anyone else remember when it happened?

Anwar Sadat Assassinated - 1981 | Today in History | 6 Oct 16
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember it well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't see it in real time. Oddly enough it's been scrubbed from liveleak. Anyone have a link of exactly when it happened?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:08:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Sad day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I wept for him that day. He truly wanted and needed peace with Israel. He was bold, no doubt and it cost him his life.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I remember watching this on the TV when I got home from school,  It really blew my mind back then still does.  The dude with the Port Said and the guy holding what was left  of his arm is what I remember most.   Anyone else remember when it happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKu-u-W5J84
View Quote

that was a sad day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I was in the Navy, assigned to USS Nimitz when that happened. We were called off the beach in Venice, Italy and set sail for the coast of Egypt.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I was stationed at Ft Bragg when it happened. Had been there about 8 months. It was a pretty hot topic then.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I remember seeing that in the news the day it happened.  I think I was still in Jr. High.  It was pretty sad...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#10]
And the point of posting this today is what, exactly?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#11]
That was one of the acts that helped crystalize my decision to join the military.

The men that killed Sadat were men of very serious intent....brave and selfless. They were also the enemy of my nation and as I read the responses and watched the news here in the US I realized that we were, in large part, a nation of whiny cunts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#12]
In a course on conflict resolution we studied President Sadat.

Starts off wanting Israel wiped from the Earth.
Tries doing so, gets ass handed to him.
Tries again, same result., only worse as he nearly loses Egypt.
Flies to Israel in show of commitment to peace. This was the pivotal point in his life.
Gets killed by Islamofascists from Muslim Brotherhood.  Egypt-Israel peace seems to die with him; however, his successor made arming the Afghan Mujahideen possible, leading to dissolution of Soviet Union.

He was a pivotal person in history.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

DRAMA! Pure unadulterated drama.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

To remind us of the day in 1981 when Islamofascists killed a brave man trying to make peace with those who’d been his sworn enemy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In a course on conflict resolution we studied President Sadat.

Starts off wanting Israel wiped from the Earth.
Tries doing so, gets ass handed to him.
Tries again, same result., only worse as he nearly loses Egypt.
Flies to Israel in show of commitment to peace. This was the pivotal point in his life.
Gets killed by Islamofascists from Muslim Brotherhood.  Egypt-Israel peace seems to die with him; however, his successor made arming the Afghan Mujahideen possible, leading to dissolution of Soviet Union.

He was a pivotal person in history.

View Quote

Interesting take.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top