Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2020 12:40:38 PM EDT
My company provides goods and services, including A/V and network equipment and premise cabling, in the broadcast/professional video world (government cable channels, worship, education, production editing.)  As on-premise video systems transition away from broadband to video-over-IP systems (especially with the need to handle 4K video) I'm seeing a need to own a good network qualification tool.  We are not being asked to do certification; the tool would be used more for ensuring that structured cabling is done properly, and that the network meets 802.3 standards for the particular network (whether 1Gb copper, 10Gb copper, or single-mode or multi-mode fiber up to 10Gb.)

The prices for some of these testers are pretty high, especially when trying to find one that can do 10Gb copper and 10Gb fiber testing.

I found this one, which I think I could talk my boss into letting me buy, but it only handles up to 1Gb copper and fiber.

My question is:  If I had a closed 10Gb network, and qualified it to 1Gb throughput, could I rely on it to perform well at 10Gb speed?  Or do I absolutely need a tester for 10Gb networks?  Any recommendations for 10Gb copper/fiber testers that don't cost more than $3,000?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If memory serves the last one I purchased was around 17k for the tester. Netscout pair probably overkill for what you need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top