Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2021 7:46:50 AM EDT
Figured there is nowhere better to go than arfcom for important life changing decisions.

My wife and I have discussed the idea of moving a lot lately. Our only real requirement is that we need to live within 2 hours of a decent sized airport and the trickier part is that we need to have high speed internet. Not a mi-fi or slow sattelite. Both of our jobs are traveling or remote from home so internet is key. Where should we move?

So far we've looked a little at stuart florida as a decent option, but let's see what the hive comes up with.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Florida panhandle. Florida needs more freedom loving conservatives. Plus we don't have a state income tax.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Florida panhandle. Florida needs more freedom loving conservatives. Plus we don't have a state income tax.
View Quote

That was the part that was having us look at stuart. Kentucky I've got my state income (5%) local income (2.75) local school (1%), then a 3.25% property tax, and personal property tax to register my car every year. Really getting tired of giving up that much of my income and still have a bunch of other local taxes. Most places pick one or the other, they chose both in my area
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Missouri Bootheel - very low taxes and much freedom
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That was the part that was having us look at stuart. Kentucky I've got my state income (5%) local income (2.75) local school (1%), then a 3.25% property tax, and personal property tax to register my car every year. Really getting tired of giving up that much of my income and still have a bunch of other local taxes. Most places pick one or the other, they chose both in my area
View Quote

In my experience, all of that was basically a wash if I was gonna own a home and vehicles. When I lived in MI, there was no personal property tax on vehicles, but the licensing fees were higher. There was only a 6% flat sales tax and no tax at the grocery stores, but fuel taxes were higher and property tax on a similar home to the one I have here in the KC area would have been nearly double.

Granted, I've never actually sat down to do the numbers. But it sure seems like they get you one way or the other.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:32:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Florida, yeah, everybody moves there or vacations there.

Go somewhere that would make for a great story and adventure.

Move to Anchorage Alaska.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In my experience, all of that was basically a wash if I was gonna own a home and vehicles. When I lived in MI, there was no personal property tax on vehicles, but the licensing fees were higher. There was only a 6% flat sales tax and no tax at the grocery stores, but fuel taxes were higher and property tax on a similar home to the one I have here in the KC area would have been nearly double.

Granted, I've never actually sat down to do the numbers. But it sure seems like they get you one way or the other.
View Quote

Doing the basic math it would put about $16k back in my pocket a year right out the gate to buy a house the same price in florida, and $11k in texas. Lexington's taxes are pretty crazy
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Panhandle isn't too-too bad with tourists... and most of the tourists you do see are from nearby states.  

I swear , at least half the license plates I see around Tampa in the summer time are from up north , and lets just say....  they drive different.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had my adventures in egypt, korea, chile, Bahrain, abu dhabi, kazakhstan, and several other places. I'm a grown ass man with a wife not some dumb kid chasing silly stories
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I had my adventures in egypt, korea, chile, Bahrain, abu dhabi, kazakhstan, and several other places. I'm a grown ass man with a wife not some dumb kid chasing silly stories
View Quote
lol, ANC is a place everyone should experience!!  The only place I've been where I was happy there were strong liquor laws
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, if I were to move again, it's where I would go.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was just a suggestion. I never let my age stop me from opening another door.

Suit yourself.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Is your air travel domestic or international?

My biggest consideration is non-stop service to major airports without having to connect, even for domestic.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:16:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My biggest consideration is non-stop service to major airports without having to connect, even for domestic.
View Quote

Both, but I'm pretty used to having to connect in detroit, msp, or atlanta. I've been with delta forever.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#14]
"I hear Little Rock is a nice town." - Lt. Dan

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Florida is getting ready to pass some serious fucking gun restrictions.

Meanwhile Ohio just expanded their gun rights.

Live out in the country (in a township) and you will have very little zoning to contend with, and very low taxes. I could build a detached garage on my property without a permit. I'm outside South Vienna, which is 45mins from Columbus airport (one of the easiest in and ourts in the country), with Cincinnati (1.5hrs) and Dayton (45mins) both reasonable airport options, too. School system is fantastic, and building new schools currently.  

Stay South of I-70 and snow is not really an issue.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Both, but I'm pretty used to having to connect in detroit, msp, or atlanta. I've been with delta forever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been spoiled living in Chicago and Atlanta and rarely having to connect.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Starlink seems to have opened up some areas with previously missing internet options. Keep that in mind if you are wanting rural.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#18]
When my wife and I discuss moving it’s to TN, NC, KY or TN. (We love TN).

Have you checked out TN? Chattanooga is called Gig City for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Des Allemands, Louisiana
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Florida is getting ready to pass some serious fucking gun restrictions..
View Quote

Yeah.....NO
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Florida is getting ready to pass some serious fucking gun restrictions.
View Quote

Proof? There are bills submitted like in every state.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#22]
The rural areas in the Florida panhandle are severely lacking in high speed internet service and there is no real effort to improve that situation.  Good houses with enough acreage to shoot do not come up for sale very often and are very expensive.  Leave a vehicle outside year round and all the small plastic parts on it will melt in a few years.  Now if you want to drive junk and live in a house trailer without internet the rural panhandle is for you.  Because of the huge military presence there, good airports are within your range.
     We have been looking at property in the panhandle for 5 years because we have children with grandchildren that moved to the area.  If I were you, I would move as close to the cmp range in Talladega as possible but where you still have high speed internet.  That area is going to be one of the last to go blue and it is easy to drive to the airport in Birmingham.  I do not know the range situation in Huntsville, Alabama but that area for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Dothan has high-speed internet. We had fiber to our house.

Depending where you are 1.5 hours to feet in the sand at PCB. 45 minutes to Tally. 3.5 hours to Atlanta.
In 15 minutes you can cross the Ga or Fl state lines.

The only problem is Dothan airport is regional only so you fly to ATL and catch a connector. You can drive to Montgomery or FL.

Pretty cheap to live. Low property tax, high sales tax @9% though. Cheap food, and gas.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Middle TN.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Not here. N. Idaho. We definitely do not meet you internet requirements.
Seattle on the other hand?  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not here. N. Idaho. We definitely do not meet you internet requirements.
Seattle on the other hand?  
View Quote

I don't know if there is enough money in the world to talk me into moving to Seattle
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Bump to see if there are any other opinions
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Las Vegas
Salt Lake City
Scottsdale
Santa Fe

For myself, Florida is way to flat and humid, and I'd go for a change of scenery from the East Coast.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#30]
cheyenne WY or western KS.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

No state or local taxes. $30 to renew vehicle registration.

Sales tax is a bit steep at 9.25%

Housing costs are not too bad but it's a sellers market and it may take a while to find what you want.

Outside the city internet speeds are not as fast but decent.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gotta go to ATL for a real airport, though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Midland - Odessa , or Corpus Christi, Aransas Pass, Texas area...............
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, didn’t realize the extra taxes when we bought our place in Rockcastle county back in sept. I’ll be paying an extra 2.5% in income tax, which sucks..... Only caveat is the deal we got on the property, almost half as much as what the same thing in TN would have cost us. I don’t miss the 9.5% sales tax we experienced at Fort Campbell on the TN side.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm done with snow, I shall be Florida man in about 8 years.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Indiana
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#37]
You're welcome up here.  People badmouth New England, but the small, homogenously populated, cold-weather states up north are usually pretty clean and safe places to live.  Statehouse just flipped R and R Governor was re-elected easily.  We need more conservatives to flip the federal seats.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Sure the fuck ain’t Arizona anymore.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You're welcome up here.  People badmouth New England, but the small, homogenously populated, cold-weather states up north are usually pretty clean and safe places to live.  Statehouse just flipped R and R Governor was re-elected easily.  We need more conservatives to flip the federal seats.
View Quote

I loved living in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Vermont.  

3 reasons why we would never move back (my wife is from the New England area as well) cold hard winters, cost of living, and increasing gun laws seeping in (at least in Vermont, don't have any friends in NH anymore).

Love where we are now, pretty rural, shoot on my own land and close to a city with a population of 180k (not big, but not too small with good medical care). Thing is, our high speed interenet connection sucks big time.  We are on the list for fiber, but phone company has no idea what year.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Somewhere along the I-20 corridor between Birmingham and Atlanta so you’d be able to fly out of either airport?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I loved living in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Vermont.  

3 reasons why we would never move back (my wife is from the New England area as well) cold hard winters, cost of living, and increasing gun laws seeping in (at least in Vermont, don't have any friends in NH anymore).

View Quote

Winter is hard, no doubt.  I've learned to embrace it.  6 months of no mosquitos, black flies, or ticks.  Keeps out the riff-raff for the most part.  Kids love skiing.  White Christmas.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

im interested in florida too, but the south western part. would like beach front property, but are those areas going to be underwater in the near future with the sea levels rising and flooding from hurricanes?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone from South Carolina want to chime in?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#44]
SC, FL, TX are my targets.  I'm deathly tired of snow and I don't really like the north.  The question is whether or not I want to put up with hurricanes and evacs.  I'm thinking TX because they're veteran friendly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
SC, FL, TX are my targets.  I'm deathly tired of snow and I don't really like the north.  The question is whether or not I want to put up with hurricanes and evacs.  I'm thinking TX because they're veteran friendly.
View Quote

My only concern with texas is how many leftist they are still trying to attract there. I don't want to have to pick up and move again in a few years
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#46]
northwestern WY.

western south dakota.

eastern MT.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Tennessee is full.

Look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Stuart is pretty nice.

A bit small and sleepy, but it’d be a great place to retire.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anyone from South Carolina want to chime in?
View Quote

I’m from NC, but I’ll happily admit that SC is the better state.

The Lowcountry is paradise.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Tennessee is full.

Look elsewhere.
View Quote

Careful, someone may confuse you with the kind of guys who wear their alice web gear for medical reasons.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top