Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 1:13:59 AM EDT
$70k cash in the bank. Owe $44k on a car. Bring home about $200k a year combined with the wife.

Live in .mil housing currently due to cost of living at current location will be on orders to Texas (probably) next year around summer.

Did really good in the stock market after the COVID crash.

Zero debt other than said car. Both have TSPs, 401k, and a health retirement nest egg.

If we get Texas next will want to buy a house.

My job will transfer to Texas.

Only holding onto two large stocks at the moment have sells limits set on those will probably hit that by February, Zero interest in getting back into the stock market in the near term, unless there’s a crash.

I had a plan of things we wanted to do in the next 5years but with everything that has gone on since November my outlook isn’t as bright as it was.

The question I wanted to ask:

Planned on paying off the car after income taxes were done. But now I don’t know if we should part with the cash given we don’t know what the future holds. Car will be shipped by the government when we move, we will pay about $5k to have the paid off car shipped or might sell it before we leave.

Should we pay off the car? Should we hold on to the cash?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:40:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The way car loans are structured, pre-payment doesn’t save anything IIRC.

From Investopedia:  

Rule of 78 vs. Simple Interest
When paying off a loan, the repayments are composed of two parts: the principal and the interest charged. The Rule of 78 weights the earlier payments with more interest than the later payments. If the loan is not terminated or prepaid early, the total interest paid between simple interest and the Rule of 78 will be equal.

However, because the Rule of 78 weights the earlier payments with more interest than a simple interest method, paying off a loan early will result in the borrower paying slightly more interest overall.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:53:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Pay off the car. If you make 200k and housing is supplied for the next year and a half. It wouldn’t take you long to save up that 44k again
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:58:37 AM EDT
[#3]
What's the rate on the car? 3%? Don't pay it off.
8%? Pay it off.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:02:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pay off the car. If you make 200k and housing is supplied for the next year and a half. It wouldn’t take you long to save up that 44k again
View Quote

This is where the wife is at. She hates debt, hates it!  I was totally on board with paying it off. Now I’m a little hesitant to let the cash go.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:04:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
8%? Pay it off.
View Quote

Under 3%
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:08:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is where the wife is at. She hates debt, hates it!  I was totally on board with paying it off. Now I'm a little hesitant to let the cash go.
View Quote

Why are you hesitant?  What do you think is going to happen that $44k in cash will fix?  Pay off the car.  If you hate not having a car loan, you can always go get another one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:26:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Under 3%
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
8%? Pay it off.

Under 3%
Don't pay it off. Use the cash to make yourself more money. If you don't like the stock market, land is a good long term investment.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:39:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why are you hesitant?  What do you think is going to happen that $44k in cash will fix?  Pay off the car.  If you hate not having a car loan, you can always go get another one.
View Quote

To be honest I don’t know.  Last couple of years I knew where the markets were going and people generally had a good outlook on the economy.  I don’t have that confidence anymore.

I’m probably tripping over nothing maybe it’ll calm down in a few months.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't pay it off. Use the cash to make yourself more money. If you don't like the stock market, land is a good long term investment.
View Quote

That's the problem, if he doesn't pay it off, he's just going to be sitting on the cash. So he might as well pay it off. Gaining 0.01% interest in a checking account is not better than paying 3% on a loan.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Interest rate at 3% is pretty low.  I'd be tempted to keep the loan and have the $44k available for moving expenses not covered by .mil, or for a larger down payment on a house.  The market is so crazy right now that if you can swing a 20% down payment and conventional financing, many sellers will prioritize your contract over FHA & VA loans because of the inspections involved with the latter two.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Sell the car, eject and move to Tibet...or not. Other than that I have nothing. You wanted advice from GD.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#12]
If someone was charging me $5k to ship a car I would probably sell it unless emotionally attached to it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sell the car, eject and move to Tibet...or not. Other than that I have nothing. You wanted advice from GD.
View Quote

I appreciate you Terry
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If someone was charging me $5k to ship a car I would probably sell it unless emotionally attached to it.
View Quote

That figure is a guess. A local company quoted me like $1500 to get it to Cali then I guessed $2500 to get it to San Antonio then rounded up. Everything seems to cost $5k these day when it comes to moving shit. Home Depot wanted $8500 to no dig vinyl fence 160’ of my backyard.

Car that will be shipped on our dime is paid off, 4yrs old and low mileage I’d like to keep it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top