Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2022 7:33:07 PM EDT
Any ideas?

I cleaned the outside unit, cleaned the HVAC filter, and checked the condenser coils (they do not appear to be frozen).

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Edited to add that the outside ACunit fan is working.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any ideas?

I cleaned the outside unit, cleaned the HVAC filter, and checked the condenser coils (they do not appear to be frozen).

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Edited to add that the outside ACunit fan is working.
View Quote
Exact problem I had earlier this week.  The compressor capacitor was dead.  Replacement fixed everything.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Ain't got no gas in it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Considering I used about 9 pounds of refrigerant today charging people A/C units, if the compressor and fan is running then you are REALLY low on refrigerant. Take a shit before you get the bill because if it's r-22 and you don't, you will shit when you see the price.

Even R-410A is 3 times the price it was a couple years ago. R-22, about a grand per can.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Exact problem I had earlier this week.  The compressor capacitor was dead.  Replacement fixed everything.
View Quote

And where would I get a compressor capacitor, and are the relatively generic or unit specific?
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And where would I get a compressor capacitor, and are the relatively generic or unit specific?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ratings are written on the outside of the capacitor.  The shape only matters for fitting in the bracket.  Amazon sells them, and so does Grainger.  Ac supply houses will also, of course, if they will do retail sales.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The ratings are written on the outside of the capacitor.  The shape only matters for fitting in the bracket.  Amazon sells them, and so does Grainger.  Ac supply houses will also, of course, if they will do retail sales.
View Quote

Thanks.

It sounds like this was the same part that needed to be replaced several years ago.  Same symptoms too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you check the evaporator?

Condensing coil wouldn't be frozen.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you check the evaporator?

Condensing coil wouldn't be frozen.
View Quote

Yes, I think so.  The triangle radiator thing in the HVAC unit?  It was room temperature to the touch.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:09:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, I think so.  The triangle radiator thing in the HVAC unit?  It was room temperature to the touch.
View Quote

Capacitor or contactor.  

IANAHC.  (I am not an HVAC contractor.)
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:12:55 AM EDT
[#10]
ya sounds like  capacitor, easy fix!  just look up the part number or take the one off your unit and take it to your local supply or construction supply store and they can hook you up!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 5:45:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Considering I used about 9 pounds of refrigerant today charging people A/C units, if the compressor and fan is running then you are REALLY low on refrigerant. Take a shit before you get the bill because if it's r-22 and you don't, you will shit when you see the price.

Even R-410A is 3 times the price it was a couple years ago. R-22, about a grand per can.
View Quote

@Corey

I quoted the one guy other than myself who knows that if your outside fan is working, then might not be the capacitor..

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had this problem twice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone.

Randomly buying and replacing parts doesn’t sound like a very good plan.  I watched one video that suggested there are two capacitors (start and run?) in the outside unit.

We have an HVAC pro scheduled early next week.

Today it will only be a high of 80 (yesterday it was 90) so we are getting the house really cool by opening the windows, then will close them and close the shades before it gets hot outside. That should keep the interior 75-78 max at the hottest point of the day (yesterday it only got up to 82 inside max).  It will only be 66-71 outside for the days until the appointment.

So I think we are just going to ride this one out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#14]
It's probably the capacitor for the compressor.  Probably $15 on amazon.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Isn't the condenser fan and compressor supposed to always be running when there is a call for cold air? I've never seen where either of those two cycle on smaller residential units.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Isn't the condenser fan and compressor supposed to always be running when there is a call for cold air? I've never seen where either of those two cycle on smaller residential units.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, there are several types, variable, 2 stage, single stage, heat pump.  Some unit's, if they have a low pressure switch, will stay off if pressure is too low but neither the fan or the compressor would work then as it interrupts the 24v power to the contactor.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes, there are several types, variable, 2 stage, single stage, heat pump.  Some unit's, if they have a low pressure switch, will stay off if pressure is too low but neither the fan or the compressor would work then as it interrupts the 24v power to the contactor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay I understand now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#18]
It was a burned out capacitor for the compressor.  The cause was a mouse getting in there and chewing on the wires.  I don't know how that burns it out, but he also said that the back side of the AC unit was a bit dirty and that could have placed too much of a load on it.

I haven't seen the bill yet, but this place is reasonable and it took him about 10 minutes to fix, and 10 minutes to check everything else.

AC is back.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It was a burned out capacitor for the compressor.  The cause was a mouse getting in there and chewing on the wires.  I don't know how that burns it out, but he also said that the back side of the AC unit was a bit dirty and that could have placed too much of a load on it.

I haven't seen the bill yet, but this place is reasonable and it took him about 10 minutes to fix, and 10 minutes to check everything else.

AC is back.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
View Quote

I’ll be surprised if it’s under $400
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:57:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

My guess is $125-ish.  But I haven't gotten the bill yet.

We will see who is closer.  But when the temps get back up into the 90's I won't care as long as it works!
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We will see who is closer.  But when the temps get back up into the 90's I won't care as long as it works!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dang man if its just 125 then he gave you a half off deal which ive never heard them do. unless you are family or bestfriends.. but now you know next time just buy the 35 dollar capacitor and do it yourself.. super easy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

dang man if its just 125 then he gave you a half off deal which ive never heard them do. unless you are family or bestfriends.. but now you know next time just buy the 35 dollar capacitor and do it yourself.. super easy.
View Quote

I would guess about $80-90 for the service call and then the part on top of that. Usually installation of the part is included in the first hour of a service call.

But we will see. We really like the company we use.  They installed a new Carrier furnace, zones, and smart wall devices for us several years ago.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#23]
If I cleaned the condenser and replaced a capacitor, I would be around $275, and I’m cheap.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can get to it and either see the part number or rating, Amazon or eBay should have it.  Maybe a big box store or local electronics parts house, although some parts places only sell to contractors.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If I cleaned the condenser and replaced a capacitor, I would be around $275, and I’m cheap.
View Quote

Is the condescend inside in the furnace?

He just replaced the capacitor and sprayed down the exterior AC unit a bit (the backside was a bit dirty but I had recently cleaned the front and sides).

If we get charged $400 I’ll happily pay it.  We like working with this company.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I am sure this isn’t your problem, but I got a new unit last October.
Came home from vacation yesterday and house was 80 and could t get colder.
Outside fan was running, but the copper going into the house wasn’t cold at all.
Turns out the installer way over charged the system.
They came out and captured a few lbs of puron.
Case closed.

So it can go both ways, over or under charged, bad fans and bad or weak capacitors.

My money is usually on throwing in a “hard start” capacitor kit if the unit is 5-10 years old and doesn’t want to get going.
Especially if it’s never had a replacement start capacitor.

Another tip- excessive condensation in the drip pan can be low Freon / a leak
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#27]
I did confirm with our HVAC guy that we have the old school system. When we run out of refrigerant we are probably just going to look hard at getting a newer modern unit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Talking with neighbor yesterday that just built a new $800k home next to mine for an Airbnb rental.  First renters in this week.  Same symptoms on new AC system.  Got a tech out here and found out a short in the thermostat wiring somewhere was causing the heat strips to turn on with the AC.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Capacitor.  Bulged.  

It’s the size of a can of coke.  

Likely needs replaced.  Not expensive to do yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top