Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2018 11:46:21 PM EDT
I read reviews of the movie "Annihilation" with Natalie Portman and purchased the 4K UHD disc. I watched it today with my daughter and it was a total waste of money. It was almost as bad as that Steven Soderberg stinker "The Thin Red Line." Plot sounded interesting, Portman is a former soldier turned scientist who's US Army soldier husband goes on a Top Secret mission and disappears for a year. He mysteriously/magically reappears inside her house (acting like he's got alzheimer's disease) and starts having a seizure so she calls an ambulance which is stopped at gun point on the way to the hospital by black fatigue wearing armed characters in black, unmarked SUV's with red and blue flashing lights, who kidnap her and presumably take her husband as well. That's where I should have turned it off. It just goes downhill from there.

She wakes up in a room under guard and a female played by Jennifer Jason Leigh comes in to interrogate her. No agency is ever identified and since her husband was working for the US Army, I'm guessing that these people that kidnapped her are either US Army or maybe CIA?? But, that's never ever addressed in the entire movie. Long story short, a meteorite crashes into a light house on a beach somewhere in the North American hemisphere (it's never identified either) and a strange, large opaque wall of energy or whatever it is supposed to be starts expanding outward from the light house. Everything inside the opaque wall is infected with a DNA changing something or other that is mutating all living things and in some cases merging their DNA together to create new, mutant lifeforms.

The movie is told from the point of view of the heroine recounting everything that happens from the time her husband goes on a Top Secret mission untill she is kidnapped by unidentified ninja commandos through her journey into the opaque wall and her eventual return, less the others who went inside with her. The extra lame part of this movie is the way the director intercuts short and extremely boring scenes (oh, and the music that they play is something like listening to James Taylor  with the volume turned up loud) that are flash backs (even though the entire movie is a big flash back, so these are flashbacks within the big flash back  ) to confuse things. It would have been immensely better if they just depicted a linear story, instead of the artsy fartsy crap, which is what made it similar to The Thin Red Line crap. Without going into the climax near the end, there are a lot of huge plot holes that made absolutely no sense. Has anyone else seen this movie that can make heads or tails out of it? I understand that her husband isn't her husband, but, is she actually herself? That seemed very vague the way they ended the movie. Looks like they intended to have a sequel, which I won't be wasting any money to see.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I garrentee your hands hurt, I know my eyes do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 1:41:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Mediocre movie with excellent visual effects but wooden acting and a story that has been done to death.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 2:22:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I watched it for free using a VPN set to Europe and Netflix.
(Opera internet browser has one built in, its nice to get some more variety for Netflix)
It was released on there when it was in theaters. We had a thread about it.

Visuals were awesome. Acting was shitty. Glad I got it for free.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I garrentee your hands hurt, I know my eyes do.
View Quote
Motherfucker, I laughed way too loud!!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]
*BUMP* NOW IT'S GOT ACTIVITY
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It was almost as bad as that Steven Soderberg stinker "The Thin Red Line."
View Quote
Terrence Malick film, not a Soderberg
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
That’s why we have choices.  It’s not for everyone.  No snide remarks intended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top