Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2021 12:24:08 PM EDT
I'm in need of a new phone, Android on Verizon.  What is the new go to according to the hive?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The google pixels are OK and cheaper than the Samsungs. They just don't have all the refinements to them. Mine is fast and works a lot better than my S9 did. I buy my phones unlocked.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Motorola
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The google pixels are OK and cheaper than the Samsungs. They just don't have all the refinements to them. Mine is fast and works a lot better than my S9 did. I buy my phones unlocked.
View Quote

One big issue with the Samsung, at least the US variant, is that they are completely locked down. Meaning that if you want to run a de-Googled operating system like Graphene or Lineage, then that isn't an option for any US-spec Samsung S*.
For reference, I currently use a S9, and have looked into de-googling after recent events. The US models use a Qualcomm CPU rather than Samsung's own processor for whatever legal reason, so it's different than the rest of the world.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm pretty happy with my Google Pixel 5 so far.

View Quote
+1

Never buy a phone from a carrier.

Buy it from Google of Best Buy unlocked, and no bullshit "deal" to get you to activate on a particular carrier. (like Verizon)

Buy the phone and transfer your SIM.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Oneplus 8 pro

Unless you can wait for the 9 pro which is due soon.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oneplus 8 pro

Unless you can wait for the 9 pro which is due soon.
View Quote

This man knows
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Motorola
View Quote
10 years ago before the google/lenovo clusterfcuk, sure.  
Moto/Lenovo/MotorolaMobility?  lolno.  
Motorola Solutions?  They make one phone, and it's not a phone I'd recommend for most users.

Pixel would be my choice today if you don't have specific requirements beyond carrier and os.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#9]
What are you trying to spend?  I'm a Galaxy fanboy.   I started with the 4, then the 6 Edge, then the 8+, Now the 20+ 5g but they are pricy.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of choices I see, if like to keep it under $1200 or so. I will buy outright, not that stupid payment plan shit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Samsung Galaxy or Google Pixel.

I don’t know how it is for Verizon. I have AT&T. If you get an unlocked phone with ATT, Voice over LTE and WIFI calling are not available. The phone has to switch the cell connection from LTE or 5G to HSPA to make a phone call. Which translates into several seconds of waiting for the call to connect when dialing. Also means that I miss incoming calls occasionally.

Check that Verizon doesn’t do any of that bullshit before buying an unlocked phone.

Quoted:

One big issue with the Samsung, at least the US variant, is that they are completely locked down. Meaning that if you want to run a de-Googled operating system like Graphene or Lineage, then that isn't an option for any US-spec Samsung S*.
For reference, I currently use a S9, and have looked into de-googling after recent events. The US models use a Qualcomm CPU rather than Samsung's own processor for whatever legal reason, so it's different than the rest of the world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, somebody asking the Internet a generic “what phone should I get” isn’t doing all that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top