Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2020 1:03:01 AM EDT
Hopefully this hasn't been posted before.    King County Sheriffs helicopter on a high altitude mission had a loss of tail rotor effectiveness event and contacted terrain but recovered.    Flew it back with a dangling left skid and landed it on pallets.

Police Helicopter Loss of Tail Rotor Effectiveness & Collision With Terrain (HD)
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:06:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Brass balls..!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#2]
H model UH-1s were never blessed with an abundance of tail rotor thrust.

Outfit one like that, load it up, take it over 7,000’ PA in mountainous terrain, slow below ETL out of ground effect and it can get very sporty very quickly.

But nice job of them to not panic and get the aircraft home safely once they had crashed yet found themselves still flying.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Watched that video a while back.  Happened pretty quick.  Scary.

Pilot did a good job not allowing it to become an aluminum pancake.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]
What causes loss of tail rotor authority?  I didn't realize it was a "can come and go" thing.  Then again, I'm not a pilot.  I thought it happened when you lost power to the tail rotor (which is obviously not coming back), but was not aware of other situations.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I just don’t think I could risk anyone’s life to set it down on the pallets like that. If that chopper had rolled over those two guys would have been hamburger meat.

Personally, I’d have evacuated everyone, burned gas to empty and put her on her side leaving me as the PIC to suffer the consequences.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You know, I've been flying helicopters for years now, but I appreciated this reminder to reread FAA AC 90-95 for the umpteenth time. In the windy winter Northeast, while hover taxiing in 15 gust 25 conditions, or landing with a similar left crosswind, in a small helicopter, and thinking you are "all that", it's always good to remind yourself that this shit can bite you no matter how good your footwork is.

I really try to avoid a left crosswind on landing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What causes loss of tail rotor authority?  I didn't realize it was a "can come and go" thing.  Then again, I'm not a pilot.  I thought it happened when you lost power to the tail rotor (which is obviously not coming back), but was not aware of other situations.
View Quote
@motoguy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_of_tail-rotor_effectiveness
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top