Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Great picture OP.  And thanks for sharing.  I've always been a fan of Ann Margaret.  

Now I get to dedicate Page 2 to her!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I can’t recall anyone ever thanking my Dad for his service until after 2001.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When someone makes a comment like "that the first time anyone ever thanked me" it need to be considered in context.  "anyone" is clearly a subjective term that means something to him, but common sense tells us he would hold his family and loved ones to a different standard.
View Quote

No, I have no doubt that nobody ever thanked him.  You young people have no idea what it was like back then.  I think the first time anybody ever thanked my dad, it was an embassy worker he helped get out of the country right before Saigon fell, who saw him on the street (in San Francisco) and recognized him.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome story. Welcome home Richard.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I grew up in that era and honestly my only feelings for Ann Margaret were purely of the lustful nature.

That was seriously classy. "This is one of my gentlemen from VietNam." and taking the effort she did with the man. Thanks for sharing OP.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You guys are maybe too young
I don’t remember anyone thanking the Vietnam vets until around 1990 or just after Desert Storm.   The VN war was hardly brought up in public before then (like in the national media), unless it was in a bad light.  
I’d say it’s believable.
View Quote

You are correct. It was a rare thing. Same with Korean vets, like my dad.

I do remember my dad mentioning a fellow paying for his lunch once. Apparently they'd been talking and mentions that they both had been in the Army and had server during war time. . The nice fellow was a WW2 vet. I could tell it meant a lot to him.

I did witness my father do this twice himself with guys in uniform during the VN war. BTW, seeing guys in uniform off base was not that common.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I will be honest it sounded like a great story until that part.  Its hard for me to believe no one was ever grateful to a man for his time in the Army for decades but it does make for a great story.
Most Vietnam vets I know are thanked all the time when they wear their hats, pins and shirts.  But maybe this was in the 70s when it occured.
View Quote

Maybe he doesn't wear Vietnam apparel or talk about being there.  I know several Vietnam vets who don't wear a hat or anything.  Never really talk about it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://scontent.faus1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/123207078_3618072331612838_8075353820884872092_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=wf6o20dbguwAX-kopym&_nc_ht=scontent.faus1-1.fna&oh=7b1d0347bd2e025689b8df09b3182e6e&oe=605E4AF1

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam, other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.
A few years ago, Ann Margaret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to Sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.
When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.
Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those
shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home.. Ann Margaret came out looking as
beautiful as ever and, as second in line, it was soon Richard's turn.
He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her to see it."
She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.'' With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he were the only one there.
That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margaret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.
Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big, strong husband broke down in tears.. ''That's the first time anyone ever thanked
me for my time in the Army,'' he said.
View Quote

@texashomeserver was it your husband she did this for, or another person's experience?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome story.

Classy lady.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#10]
For those of you with doubts about how military gets were vilified and ignored, you must not be that old.

You often hear and see people saying: "Thank you for your service." Prior to the first Gulf War I seldom heard that. I never gave two shits for Tom Cruze or Oliver Stone, but the turning point was right before GW1 with a film Stone did called "Born on the Fourth if July".  It was about a VM vet and his rough life after the war. It was only after that when thanking warriors openly became common.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#11]
She is a true American patriot and will always be remembered by Vietnam era vets.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome story.

Classy lady.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Always loved her. Loved her more for being an avid motorcyclist.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@texashomeserver was it your husband she did this for, or another person's experience?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://scontent.faus1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/123207078_3618072331612838_8075353820884872092_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=wf6o20dbguwAX-kopym&_nc_ht=scontent.faus1-1.fna&oh=7b1d0347bd2e025689b8df09b3182e6e&oe=605E4AF1

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam, other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.
A few years ago, Ann Margaret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to Sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.
When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot, and disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.
Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those
He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her to see it."
She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.'' With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures and acted as if he were the only one there.
That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margaret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.
Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big, strong husband broke down in tears.. ''That's the first time anyone ever thanked

This was from a friend of mines FB page, and I should have corrected that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a great “short” calendar of her. Probably could not post it here, but it was spicy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for posting.  This is actually the first time I'm seeing this and yeah, it got a little dusty.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The VN war was hardly brought up in public before then (like in the national media), unless it was in a bad light.  
View Quote

Every night on TV news to give that days 'body count.'

Guess you sort of covered that with "unless it was in a bad light."
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Just curious. Cool story none the less. My brother was in VN. He doesn't talk about. Can't say I blame him
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:13:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for sharing OP
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Great story. Dad is a VN vet.
View Quote
Then you are much younger than I thought you were.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks. Just curious. Cool story none the less. My brother was in VN. He doesn't talk about. Can't say I blame him
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The story has been getting reposted for years. This is just the latest round of copy/paste.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You're a complete asshole.
View Quote

What did I miss? a morning dew remark?
She is a class act. One of my childhood idols even though she was after my time.
What a great story, thanks for sharing it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If it brings one more person to peace about their time in VN, one person to say thank you to a vet or a reminder that not all in Hollywood are egocentric scumbags, then I'm good with it.
View Quote

I agree, but I don't like when people post something like this as their own. If it had been led off with *Copy/Paste from Facebook* it would have been better IMO.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No, the "morning dew" remark came later and I am just seeing it now.  That poster might want to edit/delete it post haste while I'm in a good mood.  
View Quote

Sometimes this place is just...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I agree, but I don't like when people post something like this as their own. If it had been led off with *Copy/Paste from Facebook* it would have been better IMO.
View Quote
Facebook attracts shit like that the same way horseshit attracts flies on a hot summer day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#29]
That’s a great story.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don’t remember anyone thanking the Vietnam vets until around 1990 or just after Desert Storm.   The VN war was hardly brought up in public before then (like in the national media), unless it was in a bad light.  
I’d say it’s believable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love the story, but isn't this the wife admitting she never thanked him?

I will be honest it sounded like a great story until that part.  Its hard for me to believe no one was ever grateful to a man for his time in the Army for decades but it does make for a great story.
Most Vietnam vets I know are thanked all the time when they wear their hats, pins and shirts.  But maybe this was in the 70s when it occured.

I’d say it’s believable.

Exactly this, my dad is a 3 time in country VN vet. It wasn't until after Desert Storm that all the thank you for your service and such started and it really kicked in after 9/11.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome

Glad I clicked the thread
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Awesome story, thanks for sharing.
View Quote
This, all day long.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Awesome

Glad I clicked the thread
View Quote

You are welcome.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Facebook attracts shit like that the same way horseshit attracts flies on a hot summer day.
View Quote

I might be both stupid and crazy but I expect more from Arf than I do from effing Facebook.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I might be both stupid and crazy but I expect more from Arf than I do from effing Facebook.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#37]
M
Quoted:

View Quote
Untold millions in this country accept anything on Facebook as absolute truth, as if it were written in the Great Book of One Thousand Seals.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#38]
'That's the first time anyone ever thankedme for my time in the Army,'' he said.
View Quote

Vietnam vets were despised when they returned.  No heroes' welcome like the GIs from WW II.  Instead they were spat upon.  That happened to one of my uncle's friend at the Federal Building (450 Golden Gate in San Franciscograd).  He blacked out in a sense that he lost consciousness of what he was doing.  When he came to, Federal Protective Services police were cleaning him up & wiping the blood off of him - and it wasn't his blood.  He didn't have a scratch but I bet he must have given a helluva beating to the hippie who spat upon him.

Ann Margaret has class.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#39]
"Closed minds STOP thought crime."
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Mistakes happen.  Not everyone is an interwebs warrior that has seen it all at least twice.  Arfcom needs to be more forgiving and accepting of those who aren't as savvy with tech, guns, life, etc... many come here to learn.  The jaded edge lords drive them off in large numbers.   That makes us all look bad.
View Quote

That is for sure, sometimes we draw and shoot before we think, I've done some purely stupid shit here myself in the past too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
MUntold millions in this country accept anything on Facebook as absolute truth, as if it were written in the Great Book of One Thousand Seals.
View Quote

And THAT right there is why I stopped using it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Mistakes happen.  Not everyone is an interwebs warrior that has seen it all at least twice.  Arfcom needs to be more forgiving and accepting of those who aren't as savvy with tech, guns, life, etc... many come here to learn.  The jaded edge lords drive them off in large numbers.   That makes us all look bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true, but there is also the bourbon-with-coffee first thing in the morning crowd. They grin at making insufferable comments. Wrong thread for that. Some things are not compatible.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I always thought Anne Margaret was a class act. This just confirms it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

They were dealt with and one even apologized which was nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true, but there is also the bourbon-with-coffee first thing in the morning crowd. They grin at making insufferable comments. Wrong thread for that. Some things are not compatible.

Then, thank you, and them. Sincerely. Apologies, wrong emoji -
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And THAT right there is why I stopped using it.
View Quote
It's why I never started, and never will.

The "other side" of the family are all on it, and can't understand why we aren't.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Everything I've ever heard about A-M spoke to her being a fine human being and a very classy lady.

We need more of her these days.
View Quote

My in-laws spent their honeymoon in Las Vegas in the 1960s and one of the highlights of their trip was an Ann Margaret show.

She came out on stage drunk and later actually fell off the stage.. my MIL is still bitter about it. It was her honeymoon, her first time flying on a plane, first big name Las Vegas show, and a few other "firsts" for her as a small town gal. She still has the playbill from the show.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top