Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Sold bunch of primers and stuff I had lying around that was collecting dust. Disclaimer I have plenty of ammo for me and mine to shoot for many many years. I was told to stack it deep so I complied.  Converted it to some nice guns that I never would have bought.  Now is the time to sell some meh guns if you have enough to arm a squad or more.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#2]
was in my LGS yesterday..he had about 25 boxes of 556 federal..asked the counter guy if there was a limit to number of boxes and he said no..I briefly thought about taking the whole works but then I thought it would be appropriate in these times to leave some for others..I took 5 boxes at 16$ a box..maybe karma will come back to me someday
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I didn’t either.  Interesting.

Are there no restrictions on flat rate stuff?  I would have thought ORD-M (I know it’s not characterized as that anymore) might be a restricted/special class of product that would exclude it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use UPS flat rate. It will save quite a bit in shipping costs. I wasn’t aware flat rate was a thing with UPS until 6 months ago roughly.

Are there no restrictions on flat rate stuff?  I would have thought ORD-M (I know it’s not characterized as that anymore) might be a restricted/special class of product that would exclude it.

I just tried this for the first time too.  Did select adult signature required since that is a requirement for the limited quantities of ammo shipping.  Marked with the diamond limited quantity signs.  Label was a little weird since it showed 7lbs when it was a flat rate package that allowed 50 or 60 lbs, and I had 36lbs in it.  But picked up okay off my porch and on the way.  Price was ~$37 versus $70+ if done as a 36lbs package.  Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Same here, 3 orders of 1k each, all pushed from Aug to April now. I doubt they will fill those orders because they were at pre panic prices.

I also think the .gov and military are getting all the ammo. There is no way the industry as a whole can not produce some ammo for the retailers. They all sing the same song, lack of components, yet they say they are running full capacity now. So where did the last million rounds go last month? .gov and military

The big picture plan is to make us unable to buy ammo. An AR without ammo is just an awkward bat, better off with a Louisville Slugger.
View Quote

My rifles without ammo are still more effective than a bat because I have bayonets for every one . OKC3S AND M9 for my AR's  and standard country of origin bayonets for all my AKM's .
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep,  I still have maybe 7 bandoliers left....I got them from SOG, (Southern Ohio Gun), for $5 per bandolier....I think each bandolier has 70 rounds on strippers. HOT ammo too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am still  shooting Turkish 8MM ,  If I remember right it was 70 dollars for 1400 rounds . Comes on brass stripper clip and green bandoleers.

Yep,  I still have maybe 7 bandoliers left....I got them from SOG, (Southern Ohio Gun), for $5 per bandolier....I think each bandolier has 70 rounds on strippers. HOT ammo too.

My buddy and I each got a giant wooden crate of that stuff (2,800 rounds?) for $50 one year at an OGCA show from Navy Arms.  It was a Sunday afternoon and they didn't want to pack it up and take it back with them.  They had three or four others and we didn't get those.  Figured it would be there next time.  Never saw it again.

There was a fairly influential poster on subguns at the time who was telling everyone it was shit and not even safe to use in bolt actions.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Same in may neck of the woods. Sucks. Good thing I snagged some of it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You guys had guns? this is an airsoft cooking forum.
View Quote

Two, actually. They were so icky. Smelled funny after shooting them too. I'm told that's the smell of gunpowder.

Anyway, I got rid of them. I feel so much better now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It will also blow the living shit out of a laundry room.
View Quote

Please tell us how you know?

I scored some primers yesterday evening!

A fella called the gunshop I was at and told the owner that  (redacted) across town had just got a shipment primers. I said, I'm on it and left.
On the 15 min trip there. I got no less than 3 phone calls wanting me to "pick some up" for other people. I got there and it was one per customer.(Afterwards I called everyone back and told them that the shop would get another shipment in next Tuesday
I bought a thousand small pistol primers(1) and called my wife. She rushed over and picked up a thousand small rifle primers.(2) We were meeting my friend and his wife for dinner so I gave him a call and he got me another thousand small pistol primers.(3) (I reload for both of us) I went back in, another clerk was at the register so I picked up another thousand small rife match primers.(4) We then went to dinner and I bought because, well, you know.

I talked to the owner of the shop and he said that they will get another shipment next Tuesday. I hope I have funds left to take advantage of it. The primers were from $49-$79 per thousand. Small rifle and pistol were selling out fast. I have about one thousand each of Lg rifle and Lg pistol plus a stack of random packs of 100. I feel much better about the situation than I did.

I don't plan to sell these. I plan to use them. The only components I am light on in my stash are primers.
I'd like to pre-package components in groups of 100 : primers, powder, projectiles, cases, "recipe",  per caliber for the firearms I have. I think it will be easier to keep a running inventory. Now to plug the holes in my powder inventory.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Check the PX and base exchange if you have access.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes, sadly you are correct. I can't begin to explain the feeling of uneasiness I'm experiencing right  now living without any guns or ammo. Simply did not see any of this coming. I'm decently skilled with a bo staff but that isn't going to get me very far when things really start to pop off.
View Quote

I'm right there in the same boat. Foolishly wasted my last partial brick of Thunderbolts two months back...damn that new .22 revolver. Sold it last week after an exasperating hunt for ammo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My buddy and I each got a giant wooden crate of that stuff (2,800 rounds?) for $50 one year at an OGCA show from Navy Arms.  It was a Sunday afternoon and they didn't want to pack it up and take it back with them.  They had three or four others and we didn't get those.  Figured it would be there next time.  Never saw it again.

There was a fairly influential poster on subguns at the time who was telling everyone it was shit and not even safe to use in bolt actions.

View Quote

I shot a lot of it back in the day....I still have Mausers, but I haven't shot them in years.

I forgot the pressure on this stuff, but it was hot and all of my bolt actions responded by shooting quite high on the target every time I shot any of it....Also, it is wildly corrosive, so if you shoot any, make sure you dowse your bore with a funnel and some ammonia...Let it sit and run very hot water behind that to get the salt out of it...Then oil.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you guys tried trading brass with trusted friends that reload for ammo?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The problem is that there's nothing to panic buy anymore. I'm not disputing that it's being manufactured, but it seems to not be reaching the retailers. Where's it going?
View Quote

I was talking to a gun counter clerk at my local Academy. He told me they get dribbly shipments of ammo, but the neck beard lines form a full two hours before the store opens. Most in the tail end of that line don't get to buy any.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ditto. Bought a Benelli M4. No regrets.
Still have a plentiful ammo stash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like the "big money" flippers got fucked by trying to make a few hundred dollars in the short term.  Too shortsighted in their part.

This was always a known risk.  I kept a good 10k in reserve for personal use.  Put quite a bit of the gain from my ammo fort into nice guns I wanted.

Ammo is still available if you really need it.

Ditto. Bought a Benelli M4. No regrets.
Still have a plentiful ammo stash.

Same here. Got a free Ar15, Viper PST, RMR, an extra 5k primers, 5k 9mm Bullets and still have cash leftover.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You’re gonna need a time machine
View Quote

Or components bought early last year
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So are the mfgs unable to get components because they are made in China?  How does one make a primer?
View Quote

Lake City makes their own Primers. No China there
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This was always a known risk.  I kept a good 10k in reserve for personal use.  Put quite a bit of the gain from my ammo fort into nice guns I wanted.

Ammo is still available if you really need it.
View Quote

10k rounds ain't gonna last long with that new M16 of yours
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Neckbeards are buying it up and selling it.

When you stop buying at astronomically inflated prices the price will go down.
View Quote

You know how I know you don't know how free markets work?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Please tell us how you know?

I scored some primers yesterday evening!

A fella called the gunshop I was at and told the owner that  (redacted) across town had just got a shipment primers. I said, I'm on it and left.
On the 15 min trip there. I got no less than 3 phone calls wanting me to "pick some up" for other people. I got there and it was one per customer.(Afterwards I called everyone back and told them that the shop would get another shipment in next Tuesday
I bought a thousand small pistol primers(1) and called my wife. She rushed over and picked up a thousand small rifle primers.(2) We were meeting my friend and his wife for dinner so I gave him a call and he got me another thousand small pistol primers.(3) (I reload for both of us) I went back in, another clerk was at the register so I picked up another thousand small rife match primers.(4) We then went to dinner and I bought because, well, you know.

I talked to the owner of the shop and he said that they will get another shipment next Tuesday. I hope I have funds left to take advantage of it. The primers were from $49-$79 per thousand. Small rifle and pistol were selling out fast. I have about one thousand each of Lg rifle and Lg pistol plus a stack of random packs of 100. I feel much better about the situation than I did.

I don't plan to sell these. I plan to use them. The only components I am light on in my stash are primers.
I'd like to pre-package components in groups of 100 : primers, powder, projectiles, cases, "recipe",  per caliber for the firearms I have. I think it will be easier to keep a running inventory. Now to plug the holes in my powder inventory.
View Quote

If you are gonna go to that much trouble just load it instead of letting it sit there in component form
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lol, yep.  Bought 1k in Sep last year and it was supposed to ship Nov..... then Dec....then Jan....now Feb.  I am starting to have doubts it will ever ship.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 1k rounds of wolf was pushed back from Feb to April (sportsmans guide)

Lol, yep.  Bought 1k in Sep last year and it was supposed to ship Nov..... then Dec....then Jan....now Feb.  I am starting to have doubts it will ever ship.

I have about 10 different backorders of .223, 7.62x39, and 40cal.  They have all been kicked down the road several times.  Just figure they will cancel it outright eventually like they did to me during 2008, if any does ship it will be a bonus.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Went to town the other day and picked up 5 boxes .270 Winchester @ 20 a box. They had 5.56, 7.62x51, 7.62x39, 300bo, and some other rifle calibers. No handgun ammo at all. I'd still like to pick up a couple more boxes of 30-30 but I can live without it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I can't find anyone that is willing to even  go to the range. Everyone is scared to shoot their ammo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Lee 4 20 pot and 30lbs hard cast lead that is scheduled to arrive before weeks end.

Gonna buy as much lead as I can before Joe & the Ho get around to banning shit.

I only have 10,000 primers & bullets, plus enough brass to load them in.  Should be enough for just me.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
10k rounds ain't gonna last long with that new M16 of yours
View Quote

With how slow the ATF is, I may be able to restock before the Form 4 clears

In the mean time I'll do a little slower shooting with my new SCAR's
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I feel old, got into reloading post 9/11.
View Quote

Really?

I got into reloading in the early 1980's.....
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nope. Even on auction houses they are selling for stupid prices.

Winchester Primers
View Quote

Up to $425.00, and they didn't even bother to take the $37.99 sticker off of it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just the same as shipping anything else through UPS. Just print a sheet of those blue ORMD little labels and tape a few to the box. It’s based on the box dimensions/cubic inch as long as it’s under 50lbs. You could ship a 20lb box from Florida to Washington State for like $12 if it’s under a certain size. Pretty sweet!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just the same as shipping anything else through UPS. Just print a sheet of those blue ORMD little labels and tape a few to the box. It's based on the box dimensions/cubic inch as long as it's under 50lbs. You could ship a 20lb box from Florida to Washington State for like $12 if it's under a certain size. Pretty sweet!
View Quote
Blue ORM-D stickers are no longer allowed. You need the black and white diamond.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Up to $425.00, and they didn't even bother to take the $37.99 sticker off of it.
View Quote

And there are still two days left.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I stopped into my LGS yesterday just to see if they had a Hellcat.  (Which they did, but that's another story.)

This is considered a super gun store for the area, I think.  The last time I was in there, probably June / July timeframe they still had pretty much their normal inventory.  I'd estimate close to 1000 handguns in display cases, rack after rack on the floor of used rifles (heavy with ARs), a couple hundred new rifles on the wall.  Ammo all over the place.

Yesterday I'd estimate maybe 100 to 125 handguns with 30% of 'em being single action revolvers.  Used handguns at 150% of what I'd consider normal pricing.  Two racks of used rifles on the floor, with empty spaces on em, no ARs or AKs seen.  Maybe 75 rifles on the wall, with only about 10 of them being AR / AK weapons.  The place was busy at 2:00 pm on Tuesday afternoon with multiple sales going on.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Blue ORM-D stickers are no longer allowed. You need the black and white diamond.
View Quote

Uh oh, well my hub hasn’t cared to inform me. Good to know.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Makers are slow rolling delivery to ensure max profits.

They are producing as fast as they can but they are stacking deep.

Lower supply during increased demand means more profits for them for the same output they always have had.

Until people stop treating ammo like toilet paper it will remain this way.
View Quote

Are you serious Clark? What do you think they are waiting for, an ammo scare? Inventory sitting the warehouse is a lot opportunity in the current environment.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The problem is that there's nothing to panic buy anymore. I'm not disputing that it's being manufactured, but it seems to not be reaching the retailers. Where's it going?
View Quote

My guess is LGSs’ and/or their employees immediately try to sell whatever they get on auction sites.  It won’t show up under the store name because customers would boycott them once this is over.  They don’t want to leave money on the table.  Why not sell at a premium to someone desperate instead of locals for a normal price.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#34]
It gets thinner and thinner. Shotgun shells are still fairly plentiful but dwindling. 224, 260 and 300WSM are all that I se on shelves. I tried looking up 6.5 Carcano to day and there is none anywhere. I was thinking of buying one but no ammo. There is plenty of ammo at actions but the prices are crazy even for really old stuff and not knowing the storage conditions.

Glad I am super stocked. I bought a case each of 9mm HSTs and .32 ACP early this year to fill a couple gaps. I have quantity of oddball rounds like 7.63 Mauser and 9mm Ultra. At least I can shoot the Mauser in my Tokarevs along with my C96.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Really?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel old, got into reloading post 9/11.

Really?

Wow, that recently?  I've been loading since the great depression, we had to use ground up corncobs as gunpowder and acorns as projectiles.  primers hadn't been invented yet so we had to ignite the powder with harsh language
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#36]
It definitely got worse after the events of 1/6. Not sure why, that was completely unarmed, it's not really gun control fodder.

I have friends who ask me about getting into reloading, and I keep telling them they missed that boat. Primers are de facto unavailable, and G-d only knows when they'll start being anything other than unobtainium.

Here's what I've learned, personally:
1. Factory ammo is a sucker's game. You zero with some ammo, it becomes unavailable, you now gotta re-zero with something else.
2. Invest heavily in progressive reloading presses, up to and including auto drives and on-press brass processing.
3. Stack primers as deep as they'll go. Everything else will be available, at least enough to produce some blaster rounds. This was true in 2008, 2013, and it's true even right now. I was smart enough to buy some before this all kicked off, but even 10-20k primers only goes so far if you shoot matches and classes.

One exception I'll make to (3) is that FMJ bullets were a little hard to source for a month or two, but that eventually cleared up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

They aren't going to ship shit to you if they have orders in hand that will pay 4 times what you did.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone know where I can get some cheap 9mm?

I don't really want to pay more than .20/rd.

LMFAO

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/raw-355.gif

Was lucky to get .30/rd of brass Blazer in March!  I thought that was bullshit pricing at the time lol.  Bit the bullet yesterday and stocked up on a couple of years worth of ‘06 hunting ammo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Wow, that recently?  I've been loading since the great depression, we had to use ground up corncobs as gunpowder and acorns as projectiles.  primers hadn't been invented yet so we had to ignite the powder with harsh language
View Quote

Luxury!

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill, and pay the mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

And then we would reload. Wood into bark to make sticks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Anyone know where I can get some cheap 9mm?

I don't really want to pay more than .20/rd.
View Quote

I have a time machine I can sell you.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Price from the MFG are going up February 1st.  Even for backorders.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Good luck, my Wolf order is from July '20 and says shipping 4/13/21

Win 9MM still says 1/25/21 but I don't really expect it then.  PPU 308 as well.
View Quote

Are you my doppelgänger? I also have a July '20 order of Win 9mm also supposed to ship 1/25/2021. But they flat-out cancelled my .380 order.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Price from the MFG are going up February 1st.  Even for backorders.
View Quote

So at least there's some good news. At this rate we'll be lucky to see normal prices by 2024.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I woke up last wed morning, thought about it for 30 seconds, ordered a bunch just out of, well, it is just going to go higher short term no matter what. It all arrived Monday-today no problem. Sure enough, on ammoseek this morning the same exact stuff is now 42% higher priced than when I bought it a week ago for 193 and 855 winchesters. Even post-election 45acp is up 100% on what I bought. Now I have to go sell it down at the gun show where I sold all my other stuff because profit. I think I'll have the designer put the fire pit in the middle of the second swimming pool at the new digs and instead of a part time chef, just have a full time chef now. Might be time to trade that part share ownership of the GV in and get a hangar of my own big enough to fit the ol' Bell too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If an individual has a stash of say 100K 5.56, 75K 9mm, and 300K .22, why is it so hard to understand them selling off a portion of it at a "nice profit"?  It seems like a tenuous political and economic climate would be the ideal opportunity to sell some.  Selling 50k of 5.56 could net them $40-50K and still leave them with 50K rounds.  It would take an awful lot of pizza deliveries to make $40-50K.

If the same individual only had 2K 5.56 and 3K .22, then it may not make sense to sell any of it at this point.
View Quote

Or, as GD would say, rookie numbers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You’re gonna need a time machine
View Quote

That's funny!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Shooting is going to become a rich man's game for anyone who didn't buy cheap and stack it really deep.

How are ranges doing?  Is the cost of ammo cutting down on recreational shooters?  Last panic I loved going to my club range on any weekday and having the entire place to myself.  Saturdays were really slow, and still could shoot for a couple of hours and see no one else.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They aren't going to ship shit to you if they have orders in hand that will pay 4 times what you did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  They're just going to keep backordering until you get tired and cancel it  At some point they may just cancel the backorder, while still selling the listed ammo at the new price.  Customer's will get mad, pitch a fit and the seller will just put more profit in the bank.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have a Lee 4 20 pot and 30lbs hard cast lead that is scheduled to arrive before weeks end.

Gonna buy as much lead as I can before Joe & the Ho get around to banning shit.

I only have 10,000 primers & bullets, plus enough brass to load them in.  Should be enough for just me.

View Quote

Just a tish ahead of you.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#50]
unless you have zero on hand, i don't get why anyone would buy at these prices. What kind of maniac is out there shooting at paper with 5.56, 9mm etc right now? lol

Instead of buying more at mental prices, simply don't shoot what you have. That's the best "deal" on ammo you could possibly find.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top