[#1]
OST
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for interest
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Disregard my post below.

I misread OP's intent and objectives.  I understand more fully now, and fully support this initiative.

I support APC, and I understand what 6 mile hikes can be used for (namely, how it reveals a person's commitment and fortitude under physical stress), but I'm not sure that 6 mile hikes are the measure of a person's usefulness in the current operating environment.

So I'm not entirely sure how shunting people who cannot hike 6 miles due to physical reasons into "you're not good enough, so go do KP duty" does anything for the nation.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I support APC, and I understand what 6 mile hikes can be used for (namely, how it reveals a person's commitment and fortitude under physical stress), but I'm not sure that 6 mile hikes are the measure of a person's usefulness in the New Normal.

So I'm not entirely sure how shunting people who cannot hike 6 miles due to physical reasons into "you're not good enough, so go do KP duty" does anything for the nation.
View Quote

That’s not what I took away from that.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#5]
tagscribe.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I support APC, and I understand what 6 mile hikes can be used for (namely, how it reveals a person's commitment and fortitude under physical stress), but I'm not sure that 6 mile hikes are the measure of a person's usefulness in the New Normal.

Then I look forward to a more fulsome explanation from Ben about the defining differences between the two organizations.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I support APC, and I understand what 6 mile hikes can be used for (namely, how it reveals a person's commitment and fortitude under physical stress), but I'm not sure that 6 mile hikes are the measure of a person's usefulness in the current operating environment.

View Quote

Is a JAG officer a JAG officer because he's "not good enough" for the line?

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nor did I....

Anyhoo, color me interested Ben!

Actually, 6 miles no problem. We’ll see about under load next week when I add plates to my daily 5,5miles.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Everyone,

Last year there was immense interest in APC from people who were not physically able to conduct hikes under load. Physical fitness test requirements for advancement also precluded even some people who could pass the hikes from advancing due to various medical issues.  We have now grown enough as an organization that we are establishing an American Pioneer Corps Auxiliary. We are looking for people with administrative, public affairs, and technical skills to assist in supporting our day to day operations and training.  Our basic rules for participation remain the same. We are looking for people nationwide, not only to assist with running the day to day operations of APC and our chapters, but to assist with running potential future regional APC training facilities.

More to follow!
View Quote
You are doing fantastic work.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm merely imagining that this current situation isn't gonna be won by 11B/0311 types and their 500-yard zeroes in the lead while everyone else is merely tail supporting the teeth.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm merely imagining that this current situation isn't gonna be won by 11B/0311 types and their 500-yard zeroes in the lead while everyone else is merely tail supporting the teeth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They meet up and go on foot marches. I mean, what is it you want them to do, stop going on foot marches? This seems like a chance to have others who can participate as well. They can meet up and, well, not go on foot marches.

Not sure I'm tracking your obsession with being the "teeth," or how "toothy" someone can expect to be if their body won't even tolerate a short foot march any more [looks at self in mirror].
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#13]
OST
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They meet up and go on foot marches. I mean, what is it you want them to do, stop going on foot marches? This seems like a chance to have others who can participate as well. They can meet up and, well, not go on foot marches.

Not sure I'm tracking your obsession with being the "teeth," or how "toothy" someone can expect to be if their body won't even tolerate a short foot march any more [looks at self in mirror].
View Quote
Thanks for your snark, Steven Colbert of AR15.com.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Disregard my first post above.

I misread OP's intent and objectives.  I understand more fully now, and fully support this initiative.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Any chapters in the Northeast? Sounds interesting...
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#19]
To second the explanation provided by Ben, Auxiliary is incredibly important. There is no exclusion occurring, it's actually a way for those of us unable to achieve the higher ratings established in APC to achieve alternate ratings as a denotation to other members of what skillsets we DO bring to the organization.
Anyone with military experience will tell you that nothing ruins a unit faster than a bad admin shop - but that's a soapbox example, lets return to productivity:

The APC Auxiliary mirrors the Auxiliary for Federal Fire Fighters ("Auxiliary" is known by different names for different agencies). For example in the U.S. Forest Service, support personnel would not take the full Work Capacity Test to get their red card, a person supporting the auxiliary would only take the Moderate Field Test or Light Walk Test.
There are still physical fitness requirements, they are just less strenuous for the people in the organization executing roles that are in themselves less strenuous. By standing up the APC Auxiliary, we are providing official potential within the organization for members who are higher mileage (due to age, medical, etc).

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Need a chapter or group in SW Pennsylvania

Lots of nice game lands with trails for the hikes
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#21]
ost.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Contact & fellowship are the prevalent issue...
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Very interested in this however I am in Minnesota so I don't know where to go or who to talk to...
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Very interested in this however I am in Minnesota so I don't know where to go or who to talk to...
View Quote

For those of you interested in finding APC Chapters nearer to you, here is a resource that we are working on cleaning up:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/APC-Chapter-Directory/69-647395/
We are also trying to collect email contacts for POCs in active chapters. If you do not find a Chapter near you, that does not necessary mean there isn't one. You can PM me and I may know or can give you the main APC emails to find out more.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Is there a CO chapter?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is there a CO chapter?
View Quote
Check your hometown forum.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I’d like to be on the list as both physically qualified and have tech skills.

However, I tried a qual Nike yesterday on a steep mountain slope in the snow and.... missed by a long ways   That was a tough 6 miles.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Check your PMs in about two minutes.

Edited to add for the public:

The APC Auxiliary is not meant to be "second rate". It is just different. They will still do rifle/pistol/shotgun quals, and have a much more minimal physical requirement. They'll still be included in virtually every facet of training and operations.  In military terms, they're filling the combat support and combat service support roles.  That may sound like KP, but I can assure you as a Marine I don't view CS/CSS elements as less important (if anything they are often more important) than the maneuver units.
View Quote
It doesn't sounds like KP at all. it sounds like something I'm well suited for.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sure is!

@Dirty8404
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there a CO chapter?

Sure is!

@Dirty8404

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I passed the pistol qual this year, and I can easily make a mile under 16min. This is perfect for me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm interested in hearing more.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I thought the title said Artillery.  Kinda disappointed.
View Quote
I know where an M110 is if that makes you happy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In military terms, they're filling the combat support and combat service support roles.  That may sound like KP, but I can assure you as a Marine I don't view CS/CSS elements as less important (if anything they are often more important) than the maneuver units.
View Quote

My knees hurt.  I volunteer for KP. :)
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In military terms, they're filling the combat support and combat service support roles.  That may sound like KP, but I can assure you as a Marine I don't view CS/CSS elements as less important (if anything they are often more important) than the maneuver units.

During Cola, the kitchen is probably the most important job. Simply being kitchen staff gets you privilege normally afforded to sponsors and past winners.

It appears Marines think alike.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sure is!

@Dirty8404
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there a CO chapter?

Sure is!

@Dirty8404

We do indeed. Info for the next ruck is here. We also have a Telegram chat.

Colorado is a big state, so if Longmont is a drive for you, feel free to plan a hike. I can help anyone who wants to get started with tips, etc.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#38]
That is great news. I know several people that are very talented in their fields and have a lot to offer the organization.  They aren't slackers, they simply aren't able to meet some of the physical requirements.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

For those of you interested in finding APC Chapters nearer to you, here is a resource that we are working on cleaning up:
We are also trying to collect email contacts for POCs in active chapters. If you do not find a Chapter near you, that does not necessary mean there isn't one. You can PM me and I may know or can give you the main APC emails to find out more.

View Quote

Nothing in Ohio?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#40]
This is very interesting to me, I checked you guys out, and the shit you do is the shit I do for fun!  Good stuff.  Very interested in participating at some point, depending obviously on how things go around us.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:32:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Anything near Christiansburg VA?
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:26:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@DimaChado didn't you have some guys meeting in Ohio?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing in Ohio?

@DimaChado didn't you have some guys meeting in Ohio?

There's an OH APC/Battle Buddies thread here. Pop in, drop a line, and Fritz will coordinate to get you into the Signal group if need be. I'll grease the skids by texting him.

@gsepper
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:30:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

During Cola, the kitchen is probably the most important job. Simply being kitchen staff gets you privilege normally afforded to sponsors and past winners.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can cook big meals like nobody’s business.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Might want to do a quick proof read.

Integration.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#49]
have not heard of the APC till right now.  Will see if there's a Utah chapter.    Kinda hoping there's not yet cause a 6 mile hike under load would suck right now
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
have not heard of the APC till right now.  Will see if there's a Utah chapter.    Kinda hoping there's not yet cause a 6 mile hike under load would suck right now
View Quote

There is. Have fun!

@SCW
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top