User Panel

Site Notices
Am I the D? (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2022 8:43:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delemorte]
My niece addresses me by my first name.

I ask that she address me by uncle name or Mr last name.

Is that shitty?

She asked me to call her by her preferred pronoun and I did. She's not my Peer. She's my niece.

So is that unreasonable?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:45:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#1]
I couldn't care less really.  A family member calling me "Mister and my last name", would be weird though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Piers are great to go fishing on with your nieces and nephews.  And with your peers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:46:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delemorte] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
I couldn't care less really.  A family member calling me "Mister and my last name", would be weird though.
View Quote

Maybe it's a southern thing. My daughter calling my brother by his first name would get the whip

At 46 my aunt's and uncle's are still aunt or uncle X.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I mean are you the head of Downton Abbey and require people to wear formal victorian era clothing before they come into your house? If not, then fuck not. JFC.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
How old is she and how old are you? If there isn't a major age difference I would think its normal.

I am in my mid 20s, my uncles are generally in their early 40s, I call them "uncle soandso"
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#7]
She expressed a preference about how she wants to be addressed; you did the same.  I don't see a problem.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]
We are raising our kids to say "uncle so-and-so" because I'd expect the same from my nieces and nephews.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By delemorte:

Is that shitty?

She asked me to call her by her preferred pronoun and I did. She's not my Pier. She's my niece.

So is that unreasonable?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Your OK will calling her a preferred pronoun, but not ok with her calling you by your first name
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Piers are great to go fishing on with your nieces and nephews.  And with your peers.
View Quote

Honest. Fixing it
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#12]
It's Uncle Buck, or Melanoma Head.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]
If you really wanted to be a D you should have told her your preferred pronoun is "uncle" lol.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I consider being address as Uncle Bubba to be a great show of respect, and I am honored by it.

It’s a painless gesture on the other person’s part.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Years ago, I had a friends father tell me to stop calling him “Mr.” and instead use “Dr.”, as he was in fact a doctor.

I was young and had recently started using Mr. and Mrs for my friends parents, instead of using their first names.

His perfectly reasonable request annoyed my 10 year old mind.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Yellowlake:
How old is she and how old are you? If there isn't a major age difference I would think its normal.

I am in my mid 20s, my uncles are generally in their early 40s, I call them "uncle soandso"
View Quote

18 and 47
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Maybe it's a southern thing. My daught calling my brother by his first name would get the whip

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Maybe it's a southern thing. My daught calling my brother by his first name would get the whip

Depends.  I’ve got an uncle and aunt that are just a few years older than me.  They’d get mad if I didn’t use their first name.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Honest. Fixing it
View Quote

Just fucking with you.   I assume text to speech "ducked" up again.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By CJ7365:
Your OK will calling her a preferred pronoun, but not ok with her calling you by your first name
View Quote

No. Im ok calling her what ever. But I'm requesting she call me by a certain title
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Maybe it's a southern thing. My daughter calling my brother by his first name would get the whip

View All Quotes

I'm getting Forest Whitaker eye from the spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#21]
How old is she?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't have a dog in this fight because I really don't give a shit what my nieces and nephews refer to me as. Whether it's "Grant" or "Uncle Grant," makes no difference to me.

They could call me "Uncle Asshole," but they don't, so I'm happy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Yea.  Ur the D.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#24]
More important things to be concerned about in my opinion, but you do you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#25]
What the duck is her pronoun?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By AndyandKevinsux:
Years ago, I had a friends father tell me to stop calling him “Mr.” and instead use “Dr.”, as he was in fact a doctor.

I was young and had recently started using Mr. and Mrs for my friends parents, instead of using their first names.

His perfectly reasonable request annoyed my 10 year old mind.
View Quote

And If anyone gives her the green to be less formal I don't care. That's not me. she's 30 years my junior.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Sorry, homie, anything North of I-10 ain’t the South.

Age difference is more relevant than relation.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#28]
My brother in law and I were roommates in college, I have a nickname that even the professors called me back then. My nieces both cAll me uncle "nickname" I don't care what people call me. Childhood friends parents that I see, I still call them Mr. And Mrs. "last name"

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#29]

And If anyone gives her the green to be less formal I don't care. That's not me. she's 30 years my junior.
View Quote
You can request it but...what are you going to do if she just decides not to?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I never called any of my aunts and uncles by their first name. Either uncle/aunt xxxx -or- whatever nickname they went by, even then.

I had friend's kids who took the first name buddy buddy shit a little too far and started to think they could talk to me the way they talk with their friends.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

U would actually whip ur daughter for caller her uncle by his given name. ?  What in the actual fuck.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Michigan_Man:
What the duck is her pronoun?
View Quote

She asked to be called a male pronoun until recently when she decided she was in fact a woman.

So today we refer to her as "she" but out of respect when she wanted a "the/they" we did the needful .

So asking to be called Uncle, I don't think that's out of bounds
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
If you really wanted to be a D you should have told her your preferred pronoun is "uncle" lol.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

nieces and nephews called me 'uncle' once. i told them to call me by my given name. just felt weird being called 'uncle-so-and-so'. much prefer the informality of the whole thing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Preferred pronoun GTFO
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

Depends.  I’ve got an uncle and aunt that are just a few years older than me.  They’d get mad if I didn’t use their first name.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:

I guess.  Like if you're both kids at the same time.  But anything pushing a generation difference is aunt and uncle or you risk an ass whooping.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes

Very true. If she don't she don't. She's not mine. But the next time she changes her pronouns then I won't give the same respect
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I didn't read any of this. But, I'm going to just go with yes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Kings are running
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:58:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delemorte] [#40]
Originally Posted By Tmcelheny:

U would actually whip ur daughter for caller her uncle by his given name. ?  What in the actual fuck.
View All Quotes

She would absolutely hands down get a ration of shit if I felt she did not give her elders the respect I felt they deserved.

With out a moments hesitation

Eta. Uncle aunt grandma's grandpa nanna or gramps.

Unless they told you to call them otherwise it's expected and you will catch the hate if you deviate with out permission.

You are welcome to raise your kids how you wish. Mine will acknowledge their elders

Theirs grandmother is not their friend. They are their grandmother.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Speak her language.  Tell her you identify as uncle whatever and she needs to respect that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Everyone it Aunt or Uncle & 1st name.

Uncle Mike, uncle Mark, Aunt Betty. No reason to make it difficult
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Is that shitty?

She asked me to call her by her preferred pronoun and I did. She's not my Peer. She's my niece.

So is that unreasonable?
View Quote

Uncle or Sir!
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I call my aunts and uncles by their first names. Have for 30 years and, so far, no one has posted a bitch session on the internet about it
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#45]

She asked to be called a male pronoun until recently when she decided she was in fact a woman.

So today we refer to her as "she" but out of respect when she wanted a "the/they" we did the needful .

So asking to be called Uncle, I don't think that's out of bounds
View Quote

Start calling her Legion, see if she gets the reference.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Different cultures I guess. Oh well. Guess that's why we are here.

Cheer's
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:06:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#47]

View Quote
When I was young, talking 10 years old maybe, the neighbor's daughter was about the same age and wasn't a girly girl.  She liked to play "war" with sticks as guns and ride bikes or whatever just as much as me, so we were friends.  Her parents had a rule that she had to be in the house by X time and not a minute late.  Other than that, we could play on either my parent's or her parent's property.

A few times she was in fact a few minutes late and I would see her out there picking a switch off the willow tree in my back yard.  It was no secret what it was about to be for.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#48]
All of my nieces and nephews call me Jim or Bobo
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#49]
When I was growing up it was disrespectful not to say uncle name or aunt name. I remember getting getting in trouble for calling my uncle by his first name with saying uncle first.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Stop with the encouraging of this mental retardation of changing pronouns for fuck sake
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Am I the D? (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top