Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2018 7:03:04 PM EDT
Recently had a tax fail that would have funded fire protection in semi rural area of my parish(county). What are some of the other ways to collect to fund protection? I know about the water bill percentage and also run billing to homeowners insurance. If anyone can throw some percentages/amount collected out as examples or expieriences with this it would be much appreciated . We ended up underfunded because there is no dedicated tax and this year was difficult on (parish)county budget without getting into the political weeds. Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I live just outside of town in the county and here anyone that lives out in the county has to buy "Fire Protection Tags" at 65.00 a year, per livable house on a property.
Two houses or trailers on the property, 65 for each.  Pole barns and sheds don't count.

If you do not have your fire tags and 911 is called out or the dispatch number is called and they come out you are billed, I think its $165.00 just for the call out and then some $ rate per hour + special equipment charges may apply.

I've heard of a few folks getting whopping bills after the FD responded to their place and they did not have tags...
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
How does the tag work? The owner presents it to you or dispatch keeps a database of paid vs non paid? And Im assuming if the 65 is paid there is no bill for response?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does the tag work? The owner presents it to you or dispatch keeps a database of paid vs non paid? And Im assuming if the 65 is paid there is no bill for response?
View Quote
Yea, they have a database and if you aren't in it, you get billed after their service.

You don't pay anything, if you have the tag.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I live down in Southern Missouri in a really rural area...

I'd never heard of it in the 45 years I lived I the city, but pretty much all the counties around here do fire tags it seems..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top