Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2020 7:54:56 PM EDT
What causes that feeling, blood pressure drop?

I got a bad one a little while ago.  I think I went away for a few seconds.

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Blood pressure or possibly low oxygen level in your blood due to working out.  just my guess.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That just means it was a good set.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't hold your breath.  Inhale going down, exhale coming back up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL wut?
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't valsalva manuever. No way I'm squatting anything over 80 percent and not holding my breath. Breathe between reps.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Have a partially torn shoulder and more than once overworking it triggered some sort of vasovagal response and my BP bottomed out.
Not from pain, just hit the right combo i guess.
Not instantly but like a minute later.
Scared the wife once when I was sitting there holding my water bottle but went unresponsive for like 15 seconds...
Learned not to overdo it from now on.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#7]
A cigarette is lighter then a water bottle.

Go easy on yourself.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#8]
When your lifting partner shows up w/ a bucket on leg day, you know its gonna be rough...
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't hold your breath.  Inhale going down, exhale coming back up
View Quote
Considering this advice goes absolutely counter to everything every lifting coach I've heard about says....

Dont do that. Holding your breathe allows you to tighten your core, considering that your core is the thing holding all that weight.. a tight core is important.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Almost? That's not giving it 100%. Just joking, I feel light headed once in a while also. I think it's from holding my breath.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Considering this advice goes absolutely counter to everything every lifting coach I've heard about says....

Dont do that. Holding your breathe allows you to tighten your core, considering that your core is the thing holding all that weight.. a tight core is important.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not holding your breath for 10 reps.

Inhale going down, exhale at the top

The light headedness is caused by lack of O2 and the drop in BP which occurs after your set.
Your muscles require more O2 for heavy lifts, but since you're holding your breath and working hard they can't get it. The heart tries to pump more blood to compensate, thus increasing BP which then drops / returns to normal after your exertion is over causing the light headedness. It's a sign of a good set.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you well hydrated, OP?

Should be drinking 2/3 of, or up to a gallon of water every day.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The light headedness is caused by lack of O2 and the drop in BP which occurs after your set.
Your muscles require more O2 for heavy lifts, but since you're holding your breath and working hard they can't get it. The heart tries to pump more blood to compensate, thus increasing BP which then drops / returns to normal after your exertion is over causing the light headedness. It's a sign of a good set.
View Quote
Obviously you breath between reps.

And no lifting coach would advise what you and the other guy are advising, most especially for 'heavy' reps

Link Posted: 9/30/2020 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hold your breath while the bar is moving. Exhale and inhale at the top, between reps.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like vasovagal syncope potentially. Also trouble when you bear down to poop?
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is really stupid.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#17]
What’s your blood pressure typically?

Do you have this issue at any other time in your life?

Make sure to “hold” your valsalva in your abdomen, not your head.

I exhale (grunt) as I get to the top and that seems to help dizziness.

Edit: The reason I ask about this issue at other times in life is that if you routinely feel dizzy after exertion, you might need to see a doc.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Holding your breath with the load on you ramps up your blood pressure. Then if you release under a big load your blood pressure will drop huge amounts.  Don't release your breath until the pressure is off.  

This happens to me on deads that I don't get up and put a lot of effort into.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What’s your blood pressure typically?

Do you have this issue at any other time in your life?

Make sure to “hold” your valsalva in your abdomen, not your head.

I exhale (grunt) as I get to the top and that seems to help dizziness.

Edit: The reason I ask about this issue at other times in life is that if you routinely feel dizzy after exertion, you might need to see a doc.
View Quote

Deep breaths after the lift really helps.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#21]
When you hold your breath, you increase your intrathoracic pressure (the pressure in your chest). THe aorta is a big, thick vessel...it carries blood away from the heart to the lower body.  THe inferior vena cava (large vein that carries blood back to your heart from the lower extremities) is thin.  WHen you hold your breath and exert yourself, you collapse the vena cava, so that blood can't return to the heart and your blood pressure drops.  DOn't do that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Orthostatic hypotension here.  Nearly passing out after a heavy set has somewhat become routine for me.  Inhale big, valsalva, drop into the hole, exhale at the top, rinse and repeat, rack the bar, hold onto the cage and enjoy the pretty lights.

Had a tilt table test done at the Neurologist, I failed it in spectacular fashion, 36/24 and was still mostly coherent.

It's just one of those things I just plan for depending on what I'm doing.  With squats I can stabilize myself with the cage, deads, I just make sure my landing area is clear.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

yah....nah....thanks tho
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Skip to 1:38

Arnold and Ed Corney- Squats

Link Posted: 11/13/2020 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#25]
it happened to me fairly regularly last year, i would always rest my arms over the bar so i wouldn't drop and knock myself out.  would typically see gray static in my vision.

this year for some reason it happens very rarely and I've been doing a lot heavier and more often.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jesus, don't listen to this.

Belly breath in, brace, hold, squat, release after you stand all the way back up.

Google powerlifting "bracing" and the valsava maneuver.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:48:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Ask Squatdog
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When you hold your breath, you increase your intrathoracic pressure (the pressure in your chest). THe aorta is a big, thick vessel...it carries blood away from the heart to the lower body.  THe inferior vena cava (large vein that carries blood back to your heart from the lower extremities) is thin.  WHen you hold your breath and exert yourself, you collapse the vena cava, so that blood can't return to the heart and your blood pressure drops.  DOn't do that.
View Quote

Sorry, based on other responses in this thread you and I are fools for believing this.  So take your science elsewhere.  It won't be tolerated here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sorry, based on other responses in this thread you and I are fools for believing this.  So take your science elsewhere.  It won't be tolerated here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strain against a hard squat for 10 sec or so while holding valsalva and yeah, you will probably risk loss of consciousness. I would argue that a brief loss of blood pressure, say 5 sec or so to complete a hard lift, isn't going to come with any significant risk. Not using the valsalva has some real risks though, like herniated discs.

How much are you guys squatting while breathing? I can do it with 3 plates probably, but 4 or 5 would probably end with me in a wheelchair.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:36:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, every elite powerlifter and weightlifter in the world is wrong?

Men  squat 1,000 pounds using the valsava maneuver. How are they still alive?

Stop taking about things which you are ignorant.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Strain against a hard squat for 10 sec or so while holding valsalva and yeah, you will probably risk loss of consciousness. I would argue that a brief loss of blood pressure, say 5 sec or so to complete a hard lift, isn't going to come with any significant risk. Not using the valsalva has some real risks though, like herniated discs.

How much are you guys squatting while breathing? I can do it with 3 plates probably, but 4 or 5 would probably end with me in a wheelchair.
View Quote

I'm old so I don't go for max lifts anymore.  On a REALLY good day I can get 4 for 4.  That might happen once every other month. Maybe.

Just so we're all clear, I take a deep breath at the top, drop down as low as my old knees will let me go and press up out of the hole.  My breath is held for the first couple of inches of upward travel then I begin to exhale.  My post about not holding your breath was directed at people who hold their breath for the entire movement.  Full travel down and back up.  

We love to make fun of the Lunk Alarm at Planet Fitness going off because people are grunting.  What do you think the grunting is?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you ever done a squat? Like with weights and stuff?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm old so I don't go for max lifts anymore.  On a REALLY good day I can get 4 for 4.  That might happen once every other month. Maybe.

Just so we're all clear, I take a deep breath at the top, drop down as low as my old knees will let me go and press up out of the hole.  My breath is held for the first couple of inches of upward travel then I begin to exhale.  My post about not holding your breath was directed at people who hold their breath for the entire movement.  Full travel down and back up.  

We love to make fun of the Lunk Alarm at Planet Fitness going off because people are grunting.  What do you think the grunting is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you do hold your breath. Cool.

Most of us just hold our breath for a few seconds longer than you do.

Don't be all uppity when you say something goofy and get called on it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#34]
That happens right before a rectum prolapse.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why do you want to lose your tightness on the way up? Sounds like a good way to get injured.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why do you want to lose your tightness on the way up? Sounds like a good way to get injured.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to suffer exactly what the OP was asking about.  Exhaling during most of the upward movement cured the problem.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.google.com/search?q=valsalva+maneuver
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I used to suffer exactly what the OP was asking about.  Exhaling during most of the upward movement cured the problem.
View Quote

If I exhaled when I started up I would black out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd pass out in the hole
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'd pass out in the hole
View Quote

Never been close in the hole. But real close at the top.  Nothing like letting deads though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'd pass out in the hole
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd pass out in the hole

i start exhaling after I'm about 1/3 of the way up from depth.  I've tried holding my breath till I'm at the top bit that increases my dizziness.

i hold my breath till I'm definitely out of the hole then it's a controlled exhale through the rest of the rise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top